San Juan store to buy diet tonic water

I am very ignorant. Does regular tonic water have calories? I thought it was calorie free. I don't drink it, so I have not clue how it tastes.

LOL i was thinking the same thing to myself. I almost never drink it but I don't think I've ever seen a diet version.

BTW: I think its an acquired taste ;)

hmmm just searched and they definitely do make a diet tonic. Learn something new everyday.

Regular tonic water has calories and sugar in it. It's the same thing as regular soda and diet soda..... Tastes the same to me so I cut calories and sugar where I can. Save that for the good stuff.;)

Regular tonic water has calories and sugar in it. It's the same thing as regular soda and diet soda..... Tastes the same to me so I cut calories and sugar where I can. Save that for the good stuff.;)

I have been enlightened! I thought it was just "fizzy" water! Thanks! :) :)

To buy grocery type things in San Juan, I like the "Pueblo" grocery store chain they have there. Of course Wal greens, as they are probably within walking distance to the docks. There is one in Old Town. If you have a car, pueblo, wal-mart, kmart.

There's several Walgreens around San Juan. They have a good selection in the drink department with very good prices.

Most RCCL ships sail from the Pan Am pier and nothing is near there but I THINK there may be a duty free in the east terminal. They do use the OSJ pier if PR is a port of call.

LOL i was thinking the same thing to myself. I almost never drink it but I don't think I've ever seen a diet version.

BTW: I think its an acquired taste ;)

hmmm just searched and they definitely do make a diet tonic. Learn something new everyday.

It's the same as regular soda vs. diet soda. Approx 120 carbs in a regular tonic water vs. 0 in a diet tonic. I can't tell a taste difference personally but the diet is much preferred for low carb diets. And they do not stock it on cruise ships.

When my wife saw this thread she accused me of posting it.

I, too, am a diet tonic water freak. Usually I contact the Schweppes distributor to find out which local outlet carries that line. This normally isn't easy since the switchboard operators are like junk-yard dogs guarding any access to the sales department which might have that information.

I will be in SJ on May 6th, coming from Tampa where I hope to stock up at the Walgreens near the Embassy Suites for the first leg of the trip. I was hoping to not have to get 2 week's worth then if I could depend on a supply in SJ before we left for Baltimore.

When will you be in SJ?

I remember buying tonic water there, but not sure it was diet. (that was before I enrolled in the 12 step program) ;)

There's a variety store directly across the street from the Intercontinental where i'm sure you'll find what you want.. depending on what pier you're leaving from in PR.. if it's downtown there's several small stores right across the street or one block up... i think the duty free liquor store at the pier sells it as well good luck!

I drink a lot of diet tonic. I could not find it at the liquor store at the pier.

The last time we were in San Juan, I asked the taxi driver to stop at a store that I could buy it at. No luck we stopped at three places.

From now on I will bring several bottels of it with me.

I know that Walgreens here does not carry it, only our local supermarkets and every know and then at a discount shop.

SodaStream do a diet tonic water concentrate in the UK (don't know about the US). A 375ml plastic bottle makes up to 9 litres. So all you would need is soda water to dilute it. It tastes almost as good as Schweppes and makes an excellent Gin and Tonic.

Thanks Fang.....Looks like I'll be schlepping after all.:eek:

or is that schwepping? sorry. :o

I am a diet tonic fan as well. Just enjoyed two gin & diet tonics last night! A lot less calories and tastes as good as "regular".

Archived