Any cruise destination that can top Alaska?

lianaks

Hi,

I love to travel but not by the cruise, this July 2006 will be my first cruise to Alaska plus land tour with Princess(Coral). I had been to Asia, Russia, Europe and Caribbean by flying because I preferred to spend more time on each destination. Alaska is unique destination and cruises seems to be a better choice to visit Alaska. Are there any other destinations that the cruise would be the better choice to go? Anyone have opinions?

Liana.

After 24 cruises, I can't say that one cruise itinerary or another is "better" than Alaska. A lot depends on the weather at the time you go as well as what you as an individual come to expect and enjoy.

However, I think these two destinations are arguably comparable to an Alaska cruise if scenery is what you're after:

New Zealand, particularly the South Island.

See: http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/54571449

Norweigian fjords such as Geirangerfjord and Olden.

See: http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/31910713

You can find a lot more pictures like these on my website.

After 24 cruises, I can't say that one cruise itinerary or another is "better" than Alaska. A lot depends on the weather at the time you go as well as what you as an individual come to expect and enjoy.

However, I think these two destinations are arguably comparable to an Alaska cruise if scenery is what you're after:

New Zealand, particularly the South Island.

See: http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/54571449

Norweigian fjords such as Geirangerfjord and Olden.

See: http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/image/31910713

You can find a lot more pictures like these on my website.

Can you reccomend a Cruiseline for New Zealand??? This is where we want to go on our honeymoon!!

Princess is the most active down there, usually offering 2 weeks cruises that go to both Australia and New Zealand. They start in Sydney and end up in Auckland (or the reverse). Check their website.

Thanks.

We were in NZ over last Christmas & New Year's holiday. If the truth be known, we were on one of our infrequent land tours (Tauck). We were also on a Tauck Tour to Australia 12 months prior.

We can't fit in a cruise down there over the holidays. My wife is a teacher, and her Christmas Break vacation never overlaps well with a long cruise schedule, even though cruise vacations are our strong preference.

I have some of the Australia pictures also on my website.

Are there any other destinations that the cruise would be the better choice to go? Anyone have opinions?quote]

I have been to Hawaii on a cruise. (RCCI from Honolulu around the islands then to Vancouver) I have also been there on land. I would think that for a first-timer to the islands, it would be better to see a bit of each major island on a cruise, then, on future vacations later, spend time on one island. Many others might have a similar opinion about Mexico or the Caribbean. Is that what you are asking?

You will also get many Americans who are scared to stay on foreign soil for too long a time. Many might prefer to go "home" for dinner and bed on the ship, rather than hope the natives treat them well and not take all their money. (At least you know how the cruise line will treat you and how much money they take.) So there will be many who think cruising is the way to go to foreign ports.

I think for a warm weather cruise, a combination Hawaii-Tahiti cruise is perfect. I'm looking for a RT to Europe right now but haven't found it. Any suggestions welcome. Much prefer returning to my cabin than a hotel room any day!

Hi,

... Alaska is unique destination and cruises seems to be a better choice to visit Alaska. Are there any other destinations that the cruise would be the better choice to go? Anyone have opinions?

Liana.

Any of the South America cruises that include cruising the Antarctica peninsular.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not done the Alaska cruise yet so I'm not sure which cruise will prove to be the best but so far nothing compared to our cruise to the Polynesian Islands on the Tahitian Princess. We've been on several cruises to various islands in the Carribean and have done land based vacations in Europe by rail. While all vacation spots have been beautiful in there own way, nothing compared to the next to paradise feeling in French Polynesia. This is the last of the untouched, unspoiled land that I have ever seen. Looking to go back in 2007 and I never repeat a trip. Too much to see too little time but I could never get tired of those islands. I think I'll be impressed with the Alaskan cruise but don't think it could surpass the islands. I could be partial tho cuz I do enjoy warmer climates.

Happy cruisin'

Dimarie

Archived