That did it for me

Sky Sweet

Well said, tinabc! In defense of newmexicoNita, perhaps her opinions reflect her vocation: I understand she is a TA, and deals with all lines; and as a consequence is more interested in promoting cruising as a whole.

I accept all apologies offered, and to the question of why I would not "live in a trailer park" - it is a matter of personal choice. I don't attend monster truck rallies, either - but on the other end of the scale, I don't care for yachting or show-jumping, either!

Well, thank you for proving my point again. Are apologies from you in order?

To return to the topic at hand, then: I decided that I preferred Celebrity when I first cruised Infinity going to Alaska. One of my favorite moments is watching the lush, green BC coastline going slowly by our verandah as my wife and I enjoyed a full breakfast at sunrise. The warm croissants and coffee were a perfect compliment to the muted shipboard sounds and the slightly cool early morning. The colour of the sky, the smell of salt air, and the total sense of relaxation were a delicious sensation that I will remember to the end of my days.:)

You should try RCI's Empress. Doesn't go to Canada, but as the smallest ship in the fleet, delivers small ship service. We had an awesome trip to St. Thomas and St. Martin.

EXACTLY!

Don't base any company on one trip or you are the one missing the boat. We all know each ship and cruise have good and bad aspects.

I've done two cruises with Carnival. They were night and day! The first one was on the Conquest off-season and while school was in session. The passengers were mostly retirees and there were very few children. I cruised with a group of 10 of my friends, so it didn't matter that there weren't many young people. Also, I may be in my late 20's, but sometimes I fit in better with the retirees. Anyway, that cruise was great.

Two years later I cruised with my wife on the Destiny during early August. Obnoxious brats everywhere and rude parents as far as the eye could see. The other passengers ruined that cruise for us. I have never met so many people that had no manners at all.

On both Carnival cruises there were some crew members that gave exceptional service and some who didn't. Some of the food was pretty good, some wasn't. However, the fellow passengers made all the difference.

Celebrity seems to excell in consistency. I really enjoyed my first Celebrity cruise on the Zenith. All of the crew members gave exceptional service and all of the food was GREAT! The passengers were nice too.

EXACTLY!

I've done two cruises with Carnival. They were night and day! The first one was on the Conquest off-season and while school was in session. The passengers were mostly retirees and there were very few children. I cruised with a group of 10 of my friends, so it didn't matter that there weren't many young people. Also, I may be in my late 20's, but sometimes I fit in better with the retirees. Anyway, that cruise was great.

Two years later I cruised with my wife on the Destiny during early August. Obnoxious brats everywhere and rude parents as far as the eye could see. The other passengers ruined that cruise for us. I have never met so many people that had no manners at all.

On both Carnival cruises there were some crew members that gave exceptional service and some who didn't. Some of the food was pretty good, some wasn't. However, the fellow passengers made all the difference.

Celebrity seems to excell in consistency. I really enjoyed my first Celebrity cruise on the Zenith. All of the crew members gave exceptional service and all of the food was GREAT! The passengers were nice too.

Certainly a cogent point, in that the time of year and the itinerary you choose has a definite effect on the type of clientelle - short Caribbean cruises in July/August or Spring break leaving from a port such as Tampa or Miami are likely to be loaded with kids/teenagers/early twenties types who have a better chance of becoming a problem than others. I have noticed that some lines deal with this better than others, too.

Your comment about consistency & a high average standard holds true, as well, sisson_d. A classic example is Japanese vs. American cars: most Japanese cars are not terribly flashy or exciting, however they have a consistent, high quality that eludes the US big 3 automakers. I don't lease a new one every year, I tend to keep a car for a 10-12 year period.

As we only can fit in about one cruise/year - this high standard is more important to us than those who can do cruises 4, 5, or more times a year. One low-quality experience means our vacation for the year is wasted, where as to others it might be, "Oh well, we'll try cruiseline ??? on our next cruise, two months from now". As a consequence, the shortest cruise we've taken is a 7-day: all the rest have been longer than that. Celebrity has some very good cruises in the 10-21 day ranges - which we hope to do more of!

Hi Nita!

Off topic here, just saying hello to you and the Commissioner. We had a great time on the Brilliance in our D1 hump balcony to Panama in January. Would reccomend that itin to anyone! Next up, a 13 day repo on the Grandeur, with a JS Aft Balcony, from Baltimore to NOLA in November. Best wishes to you all and the new train service!

Well.. I've had similar Celebrity sailings.. and I still sail them.

One cannot compare the Carnival of old.. with today's Carnival.

VERY true.

The bedding alone is worth the cruise on carnival.

Archived