Just back from cruise on pacific explorer

Hi all, 

just like to say a few things about our cruise.

The cruise was 14 days from Adelaide to N.Z. back to Adelaide.

Our last cruise on P&O was back in 2019 on Pacific Eden to P.N.G

After reading so many bad reviews and you tube videos our expectations were not high.

The cruise was sea day heavy but we knew that going in.

We then had 1 port day cancelled and 2 ports cut short due to weather and rough seas on some days.

This was not an issue with us as we have been on a lot of cruises throughout the world over the last 15 years and know that ports are never guaranteed and rough seas happen.

This is when the whining began.

I never realised Aussies complained so much.

Apparently some people think that P&O can control the weather!

Almost every cruise we have been on ( not just P&O) there have been cancelled port calls.

Because of this we heard that this was the cruise from hell, well it wasn't.

We had a great time .

The entertainment was fantastic. The ship cast shows were some of the best we have ever seen on a ship.

The comedians Hung Le and Glyn Nicholas were very funny and the other acts in the main room every night were very good.

The food was good, yes it's not 5 star but it was better than we expected from some of the reviews we read.

Overall I just want to say don't just trust all the reviews you see to us P&O and the explorer were better than expected.

Daz

• Like 3

Have to agree on all that you wrote. All sorts of conspiracy theories were posed for the "real" reasons the fiords and Wellington were missed. Only thing I was disappointed in was breakfast in the Pantry. Yes I could have arose earlier and breakfasted in the Waterfront, which was good, but I like to sleep late and still get a hot breakfast, cool - slightly warm eggs doesn't cut it. A minor issue for sure. 

We met some great and interesting people and I was very impressed with Matt the ex cop who had some very interesting stories about his days as a police officer - he is an excellent speaker.

Well said, guys! We have always adhered to the idea that you take a good time with you. We have NEVER had a bad cruise. Sure, things go wrong - like missed ports - but that is definitely not the end of the world and if people took the time to read the P&O terms and conditions, it is clearly stated that itineraries are not guaranteed (though all care taken).

We missed a couple of excursions in the Caribbean due to a hurricane just about flattening that particular island. Yes, it was disappointing but we were just grateful that our long awaited cruise went ahead which was by no means guaranteed as the hurricane was heading straight for Miami whilst our flight was touching down in Houston. Fortunately the storm changed course. We still had a fabulous cruise even though we didn't get to see and do everything we had planned. We did have a bit of a giggle to ourselves when some of the locals were moaning they had to travel for four hours to get to the cruise terminal and they were exhausted. We were travelling for just on 27 hours all up.😄

I remember feeling incredibly irritated on our first cruise on Pacific Dawn when we seemed to be surrounded by whining masses. We really couldn't understand what the problem was. We were having a ball. And it's pointless complaining that such and such a cruise line is better than P&O when the cruise line referred to is in an entirely different class and price bracket. Like comparing apples to lemons. You get what you pay for.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say that my last cruise 2 weeks ago on the Adventure was slightly ruined by teens swearing and behaving very obnoxiously in front of younger kids. The issue wasn't as obvious on my other 2 trips on Encounter last year. Otherwise, 99% of the staff tried to make my holiday as pleasure as possible. 

So, I would be a grumpy old man and fault the passengers, not the staff.

• Like 1