Tahitian Princess-What can you tell us?

cyndeeee

We are booked in stateroom 8066 which is the aft of the ship. We have cruised Celebrity several times,and Holland America once, and we thought we might like to try Princess.

Thank you for any insight

Cyndeeee

we went on the Tahitian Princess last July and thought it was fantastic-beautiful ship, fantastic ports! loved it!

if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

also check the tahiti board-there is lots of info there!

nancy

This is not the typical Princess ship, by any means. This is one of the Renaissance ships that Princess took over.

It is very small compared to most of the others in the fleet. The itineary is the big draw to the Tahitian Princess.

There is really no 'anytime dining' as with the other ships in the fleet (unless you count room service).

Although we enjoyed our 5th trip to Tahiti on the TP, we were a bit disappointed in the dining. There were many days where we were very tired after a long day of snorkeling, but just about had to go to the dining room for dinner. There is an alternate pizza restaurant where the buffet is located in the AM and for lunch. But it is 'sit down' style as the dining room.

That is about the only draw back we found compared to other Princess ships.

We took this cruise last June. What a wonderful ship. It's so small, with less than 700 passengers that on a 10 dayer, you get to know everyone's faces by the end of the cruise. The decor is gorgeous, very elegant. The staff was wonderful, especially Erik in the dining room and buffet. If, in fact, you meet up with Erik (his home country is Mexico), you MUST go up to him and say "Hello Errrrrik" (roll your R's.) Tell him that the woman from last June's cruise said that he was wonderrrrrful, or some comment that you can use to accentuate those R's. We had so much fun; I will never forget him. If he laughs, just tell him that you heard from me. We did this for the entire cruise and I was so sorrrry to have to tell him Au rrrrrevoirrrrr! Marco, one of the Pursors was also great. We had a mini-suite and it was lovely, however the regular outside balcony cabins looked quite roomy. Tahiti and her islands is the most beautiful place we've ever been to. I'm sure you'll love it.

We are booked in stateroom 8066 which is the aft of the ship. We have cruised Celebrity several times,and Holland America once, and we thought we might like to try Princess.

Thank you for any insight

Cyndeeee

I want to book in the same area but on the 7th deck, either 7116 or 7121. The 8th deck is below the aft dining area of the Panorama buffet so I'm afraid to book there because of noise, but it may be a non-issue. Posted on the Cabin Selection boards about the aft cabins on the Tahitian but no responses. Anyone out there have any insight?

Sorry, I must not have seen your post. We were in 8067 and never had any problems with the noise. It was an incredible cabin and we absolutely love it and everything else about the ship. This was probably the best cruise we were ever on - food was great, the ship small, but very well appointed and what more can you say about Tahiti except - paradise. Do check out the library - it is so beautiful and had a pretty good selection of books from what I remember. There's just something about a smaller ship that made everything a bit more friendly, staff seemed to have more time to spend with the passengers and you saw the same faces again and again, so there was more of a sense of camaraderie than on the bigger ships. You are so gonna have a blast!

Charlie

Tina,

7116 & 7121 are a good choice. We've been in 7116 twice on Ren ships. The balcony is great. We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 regualr chairs and 2 small tables. Deck 8 can be noisy with the outside dining above it. Have not been to Tahiti yet but have it booked for 2007 -- in an aft cabin.

Spikesgirl and Meribeth, that is just what I wanted to hear! I am SO ready to book an aft balcony cabin (sigh) for July 2007. Our 25th is in April but wanted to wait for rainy season to pass. I've followed all the reviews, looked at all the pictures, read books, picked out a post-cruise hotel. Time is just CRAWLING for me right now. :)

We're on the April 16, 2007 cruise. We'd like to stay before and after for a few days on 2 different islands but haven't decided where yet. Where did you pick?

I have enough Starwood points for one night at the Sheraton Moorea in an overwater bungalow. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to stay in one, look at the fishies through the glass panel in the floor, walk down a ladder to snorkel and have breakfast brought to me in an outrigger canoe. The other 2 nights we will pay for and I've been saving for this trip for almost 5 years. We will fly Air New Zealand so we can earn the miles on Continental.

The ferry from Papeete to Moorea is very reasonable and is only 45 minutes. I think flights to Bora Bora are inexpensive as well, but the hotels wouldn't be. There are travel companies that specialize in Tahiti that could put together a custom package for you...hotel and inter-island transfers, possibly meals as well. Here is one agency... http://www.visit-tahiti.com/. Good luck and thanks again for the cabin info!

I have enough Starwood points for one night at the Sheraton Moorea in an overwater bungalow.

How many points for a bungalow? I know it's pretty high for a standard room there, but don't know how many for the bungalow..which is definitely the way to go :)

Never sailed on any of the old Renassiance ships, but from all I have heard the Tahitian Princess is a wonderful ship. However, for those considering Tahiti, recommend checking out RSSC's Paul Gaugin. It has luxury superior to any other cruise line we have booked. Little things like complementary wine with dinner, in-room set-ups, no-charge bottled water, and a floating bar at their private beach are great. It is a beautiful ship. When both ships were in port using the same tender dock, we saw Princess passengers filling their water bottles with free water at the dock before tendering back to the ship . Our crew was busy handing out comp bottles to P-G passengers.

Both Grand Circle and Vantage offer packages that include LAX free air and pre and post cruise resort time. And price is not bad at all - pretty close when you add all the extras to Princess price. It was one of our favorite cruises.

Just got off the ship yesterday - best cruise I have EVER been on, everything was great. I had a balcony aft - #6090 - amazing views.

There is a reason that this ship is now rated #2 overall on cruise critic - its an awesome experience. I am going back in 2008.

Larry

How many points for a bungalow? I know it's pretty high for a standard room there, but don't know how many for the bungalow..which is definitely the way to go :)

50,000 for OWB and 16,000 for garden room. Starwood is great - there are other ways to use your points, like buying an upgrade for 1,000, 50% off rack rates for 1,000, Cash & Points starting at $25 and 1,200 points.

I love the planning part!

Just got off the ship yesterday - best cruise I have EVER been on, everything was great. I had a balcony aft - #6090 - amazing views.

There is a reason that this ship is now rated #2 overall on cruise critic - its an awesome experience. I am going back in 2008.

Larry

Tell us more! And we want pictures!

Never sailed on any of the old Renassiance ships, but from all I have heard the Tahitian Princess is a wonderful ship. However, for those considering Tahiti, recommend checking out RSSC's Paul Gaugin. It has luxury superior to any other cruise line we have booked. Little things like complementary wine with dinner, in-room set-ups, no-charge bottled water, and a floating bar at their private beach are great. It is a beautiful ship. When both ships were in port using the same tender dock, we saw Princess passengers filling their water bottles with free water at the dock before tendering back to the ship . Our crew was busy handing out comp bottles to P-G passengers.

Both Grand Circle and Vantage offer packages that include LAX free air and pre and post cruise resort time. And price is not bad at all - pretty close when you add all the extras to Princess price. It was one of our favorite cruises.

I considered PG but it's 3 days shorter and fewer ports. I'm guessing our "refreshments" bill for 10 days will be about $1,200, so when I add $600/pp to the Princess cruise fare it's still cheaper than PG and we get the extra days/ports. Someday, though, would love to sail the Paul Gauguin.

I considered PG but it's 3 days shorter and fewer ports. I'm guessing our "refreshments" bill for 10 days will be about $1,200, so when I add $600/pp to the Princess cruise fare it's still cheaper than PG and we get the extra days/ports. Someday, though, would love to sail the Paul Gauguin.

We also considered PG but wanted more cruise days. With the long flights, want to make it worth the trip. Plus, the PG price is higher per day. Since we do not drink alcohol, it would cost us much more net per day. Doing some days at IC Tahiti using PriorityClub points, but want most days on the ship where dining is more affordable. Regardless of ship, hey, we're going to Tahiti next week! :D

50,000 for OWB and 16,000 for garden room. Starwood is great - there are other ways to use your points, like buying an upgrade for 1,000, 50% off rack rates for 1,000, Cash & Points starting at $25 and 1,200 points.

I love the planning part!

Thanks I love Starwood. Paid for our two nights in Venice and we're using them a lot for our upcoming land vacation to SO Cal.

I also looked at the Paul Gauguin but chose the Tahitian Princess. No matter how I figured it, the PG was more money. Then, when you factor in it is only 7 days vs. 10 on the Princess, it turns out to be even more money per day. And you don't get to see as many of the islands since it is a shorter cruise...and don't you want to see as much of French Polynesia as possible?

But one big negative to the PG is that the parent company often sells much of the boat as incentive rewards to large corporate groups. My friend was on the PG and half the ship was Ford salespeople. Many times rooms were closed due to the private Ford parties. And the salespeople were often rowdy. My travel agent, who specializes in cruises, said this is a common situation on the PG.

I would highly recommend the Tahitian Princess. It was awesome. Also, don't forget the former Renaissance line (where the TP came from), was an upscale cruise line so the ship reflects that. There were six total former Renaissance ships and all were the same. Once the "new" Royal Princess joins the fleet next year Princess will have three of them. The other three belong to Oceania Cruises, another higher-end line. If you want more information on the Tahitian Princess I suggest you get an Oceania brochure as they describe the ships in more detail than Princess does in their brochure.

One little note -- everything is quite pricely in Tahiti and her other islands. If you are on the itinerary that takes you to Raratonga, and you plan on bringing back souvenirs for your friends and family, I suggest you pick up your items there. The rpices are half of what they are on the other islands. However, while you are docked in Pape'ete, walk over to the indoor/outdoor marketplace. You can pick up a beautiful flower arrangement for your cabin that will last almost all cruise. We got a gorgeous arrangement for around $15 (it would have been at least $50 in the States.) It made our cabin look and smell very tropical all cruise long!

Joyce

Go to the market in Papeete and buy a flower arrangement for your cabin!

Get a hold of Marc in Huahine and book his motu picnic ASAP. The best tour/ excursion you will ever take.

Find your rollcall and have fun. It was the best cruise we've ever taken. The ship is fabulous!

http://community.webshots.com/user/nitrodog51

• 3 weeks later...

Tesas Mom, we are planning on being on the TP next July. That is our 25th. However my understanding is that the cruises in July and August run between Tahiti and Hawaii and are twelve days cruises. They are net listed yet on Princess.

This will be our eighth cruise the second on princess.

Tesas Mom, we are planning on being on the TP next July. That is our 25th. However my understanding is that the cruises in July and August run between Tahiti and Hawaii and are twelve days cruises. They are net listed yet on Princess.

This will be our eighth cruise the second on princess.

I hope that isn't true! :eek: I've got my heart set on the 10-day Cook Islands itinerary. I understand that the Hawaii/Tahiti itinerary happens occasionally in 2006 but I hadn't heard about a permanent change. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Larry

Hi Larry,

Can you tell me if the aft balcony had a solid-type wall so that you had to be standing to see the view, or were you able to see the panoramic vistas through it from your lounge chair?

Hi Larry,

Can you tell me if the aft balcony had a solid-type wall so that you had to be standing to see the view, or were you able to see the panoramic vistas through it from your lounge chair?

I just answered on your thread. Yes solid.

Archived