Train from Sydney to Melbourne

I did it a few times in the 80s when I was a budget tight teen and flights were very expensive. It was long and intensely boring. It's basically there for pensioners (as they get free passes annually) and newly released prisoners who also get given a pass. 

When flights are less than 90 minutes and flights are cheap - there really is no reason to torture yourself! 

Train travel in Aus is not like Europe or Japan with efficient high speed trains etc. 

Agree with the above. It is only worthwhile if you have an extreme fear of flying and travel for 11 hours overnight in a sleeper. But that is way more expensive than one of the over 80 flights per day.

Did it in March both ways for a cruise out of Sydney. For me a good chance to unwind and I enjoyed the trip. I paid $139 each way, first class, daytime service. Much prefer it to the hassle of airport transfers, queues, security checks etc.

• Like 1

I did it once for the hell of it. Once. Yeah, just not worth it when flights are so frequent and affordable. Even renting a car and driving is more enjoyable, but still pretty boring.

Edited by Zach1213