Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m a little embarrassed to say I definitely didn’t take a photo of every drink!  

I also ran out of space in the collage to include all drink photos.

I was gonna say 24 drinks in 14 days isn't very many. I mean some people are capable of that in one day 😂 (not me though). 

• Haha 3

A little bit of randomness from the Jewel.

Anyone remember what used to be here?😉

IMG_3231.thumb.jpeg.a754e33fe0b632ac06097dd9ae7ecb1b.jpeg

For years, I did the guess and twist method when using the salt and pepper shakers in Cagney’s and Moderno.  This time, after getting pepper on my avocado (no no no!) I asked a waiter.  He told me to look at the colour of the rings around the top.  

IMG_2974.thumb.jpeg.c17253418457b79ecb68b590a874259a.jpeg

Alternate milks in the Garden Cafe

IMG_3229.thumb.jpeg.7764dad7468a5b3cb7f237d18a92d292.jpeg

Bread art

IMG_3420.thumb.jpeg.5ef56f42e4a09fecfc82b3f710d41290.jpeg

Typos happen

IMG_3232.thumb.jpeg.ec7e0899d003bde2afcf6ad54bcae831.jpeg

meeting of the chefs in the galley (photo taken during the art auction preview which was in Azura)

IMG_3410.thumb.jpeg.5ae3db94bc992104de27e773437dc356.jpeg

Why can’t NCL put a real bed in the back bedroom in the suites so I don’t have to sleep on a split level couch bed?  The extra pillows are the ones I took off my dad’s bed to eliminate pillow freak out sessions.

IMG_3212.thumb.jpeg.5b5754775d48c61bfbd3826338e08748.jpeg

models for sale

IMG_3230.thumb.jpeg.e90ee0c62b117841a00281db567bcb5a.jpeg

Crew Pool

IMG_3234.thumb.jpeg.12cba50c8af80f6439d51406fa1346b6.jpeg

• Like 7

19 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

For some bizarre reason I don’t receive the latitudes emails and never know what the special offer is.

Hi!  I don't either...so weird.  I even fill out the pop up every once in a while to try to get them.

1 minute ago, KACTravels said:

Hi!  I don't either...so weird.  I even fill out the pop up every once in a while to try to get them.

Me too!  I’ve also had Cruise Next managers check and they can see the correct email is in the system.  I don’t get any special offers from NCL.

4 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

For years, I did the guess and twist method when using the salt and pepper shakers in Cagney’s and Moderno.  This time, after getting pepper on my avocado (no no no!) I asked a waiter.  He told me to look at the colour of the rings around the top.  

🤣Yet some claim that nothing useful is ever posted on this forum.  Just watch me impress DD and DW on my next cruise.  😎

• Haha 14

19 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

There was no special discount and we also did not get the latitudes offer for booking in May

Did you by any chance book the 14 day or the Back to Back separate 7 day cruise.  I just was curious about another post I saw about booking ONE 14 Day or TWO Back to Back and the poster was asking about advantages of each.  Well... I looked at the Jewel 14 day and noticed that it did NOT have the past guest latitudes offer.  The 7 Day BTBs do.  To finish my post, I would think the other advantages is the Latitudes Dinners (4 vs 2) and OBC for the Stock Ownership ($100 vs $200)

• Like 1

For all the trivia we did over the two weeks, we ended up with 38 signatures on the NCL activity cards.  Most of the time I forget to go to the activity prize redemption or it takes place during dinner so I miss it.  

I wish I had taken a photo of the prize redemption table because the amount of signatures you could possibly earn did not match up with the “value” of required signatures.  One of the items needed 90 signatures.  You would need to do 45 activities in a week and win them all to get double signatures in order to have 90.  The Cruise Director’s staff member, Stefan (he was my favourite CD staff member by far!) was laughing about this.  He was, in fact, trying to get us to take extra prizes.

They had shirts, mugs, koozies and some other plastic items.  The last time I collected a prize it was a clear plastic pouch and I use it  for my travel size liquids when traveling.

What did I get this time?

Well, before I tell you what I selected you should know that one of the trivia questions on the last night was “which Italian designer pioneered the runway style fashion show.”  I had absolutely no idea. My clothes are from Levi, Amazon, and Style&Co.  High fashion for me is Michael Kors, purchased at places like TJMaxx and Winners.  I know nothing about fashion.  So I guessed.  And I guessed correctly: Giorgio Armani.  My prize from NCL will be perfect for the fashion runway: it has cheap plastic handles with threads dangling from the seams, the strappy parts are made from a material that could be used in camping.  Or bungee jumping.  Or steer roping. The lovely sheer plastic sides of the bag will be excellent in a rainstorm.  The zipper will likely work twice before it no longer aligns.  But that’s ok, because I will look so fashionable sporting this lovely new designer bag as I make my first foray into the runway:

IMG_3957.thumb.jpeg.a211aaa3ba40d496f296e9154981df3a.jpeg

• Haha 14

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Ok, let me guess: Black is pepper and blue salt?

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

IMG_2974.thumb.jpeg.c17253418457b79ecb68b590a874259a.jpeg

This was our first time on the Jewel, but we did walk by that little platform multiple times and wonder what it had been for. Do you know?

Thanks for the info on the salt/pepper grinders. We looked at those every day and totally missed the little rings on the caps! Now we know for next time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

This was our first time on the Jewel, but we did walk by that little platform multiple times and wonder what it had been for. Do you know?

Thanks for the info on the salt/pepper grinders. We looked at those every day and totally missed the little rings on the caps! Now we know for next time!

Looks like a hallway shower

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

A little bit of randomness from the Jewel.

Do tell!  Bailey and I were wondering for 2 weeks. There was a dehumidifier type thing plugged in by it for a couple days  I figured there used to be some type of art on it  

It was one of these!

IMG_3960.thumb.jpeg.b69f82d37edda610c72230c61cc92329.jpeg

The SpongeBob design is on there because NCL used to have a partnership with Nickelodeon.  Does anyone remember the days where SpongeBob and Patrick would be out on the pool deck for the sailaway party and up on the stage after the shows in the theatre?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ekallina said:

@YVRteacherthank you for posting. I am doing my first B2B on the Jewel in 3 weeks. All your information here is very helpful.

I hope you have a wonderful two weeks on board!  I didn’t want to get off the ship on the last day!!

@yvrteacher Any chance you can post the dailies from your second leg.  We are doing the Jewel from Seward to  Vancouver in September. Thanks much in advance.   You do have a great way with words and we love following your travels

I have another general NCL question for everyone here.  As I have said, my husband and I are sailing in 3 weeks with his mother and aunt, both in their 80's.  Neither has email or internet and we are covering any expenses that come up from here on out (they gave us some money up front for the trip).  I just did online check-in and they required that I put a payment method on for each room for onboard expenses.  I put my credit card on our room but with their's it would only allow me to choose one of their names as the 'name on the card'. I ended up selecting 'cash' as the payment method for that room just to get through the check-in process.  Will they allow me to go back and change that to my credit card later or even after we board?  Or do I need to arrive with cash in hand to put on their account?  

Honestly, them requiring a separate booking for each room and me having to set up separate accounts has been a real pain through all of this.

Whenever we check in we always select Cash, and hand over our credit card when we check in at the terminal.

NCL doesn’t like our credit cards when checking in online because they weren’t issued in the US (even they’re in US$). 

It’s fine that you select Cash - even for all of you.

11 hours ago, senorita frog said:

I have another general NCL question for everyone here.  As I have said, my husband and I are sailing in 3 weeks with his mother and aunt, both in their 80's.  Neither has email or internet and we are covering any expenses that come up from here on out (they gave us some money up front for the trip).  I just did online check-in and they required that I put a payment method on for each room for onboard expenses.  I put my credit card on our room but with their's it would only allow me to choose one of their names as the 'name on the card'. I ended up selecting 'cash' as the payment method for that room just to get through the check-in process.  Will they allow me to go back and change that to my credit card later or even after we board?  Or do I need to arrive with cash in hand to put on their account?  

Honestly, them requiring a separate booking for each room and me having to set up separate accounts has been a real pain through all of this.

Hi!  I hope you have a great experience on NCL! At check in at the terminal you will be able to apply a separate credit card to each person, if that it what you choose.

• Like 1

A little lighthearted reflection and feedback for NCL based on this cruise:

Ways NCL can improve

From Dad

-do more to recognize long term customers.  

-trivia questions should not have absolutely stupid questions that nobody knows

-have great entertainers like Jim Badger, Taylor Kundolf and Leo Jostol

-reduce the amount of food that is sent to our cabin OR give people a choice when they are booking to have a treats package or not and adjust the price accordingly

From me

-coordinate the service in all restaurants so I’m not being asked the same questions over and over and over. One morning I was asked 14 times if I want ice water.  This is especially true in Moderno for breakfast.  

-make sure cabins and toilets are in working order before guests enter

-increase vegetarian options, especially ones that include protein.  Having two vegetarian options that are both pasta most nights in the MDR is pretty ridiculous in 2023

-offer two bedroom suites that do not include butler and concierge service (ie: have just the room available at a lower price for those who don’t want a butler or concierge)

-don’t sell pull tabs during presentations where people want to hear the captain

-improve the Latitudes program for Sapphire, Diamond and Ambassador.  

-improve the amount of and quality of activities on board

• Like 9

Strengths of the NCL Jewel

From dad

-great bartenders

From me

-Rumi’s moustache 

-Rumi, Patrice and Emma

-bartenders, bar waiters, bar staff, head mixologists, bar managers, beverage managers.  All are top notch on the Jewel.

-this was the best food we’ve experienced on NCL 

-the ship is clean and public areas look good

-the longer port times, as compared to the cruises out of Alaska, are appreciated and allow for a better Alaskan experience

-the ship was at 50% capacity which makes for a much better passenger experience than the Bliss which was oversold for the spring break cruise

• Like 9