Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

Hi @psalm104

I’m going to do my best to answer. I completely understand your situation.

Your relatives can see information about the ship and itinerary simply by accessing NCLs website. If they don’t know the reservation number they won’t be able to make any changes.

For the app, NCL advises downloading before you board. Ship internet is not the best (unless it is a ship with Starlink.) The NCL app changes once you are on the ship.  Pre-cruise,  your relatives will be able to access the cruise documents which contain the price.  They could also make changes if they know the reservation number. Once on board, the app switches to be “on-board” based and your cruise documents with prices are no longer shown.  I think I’m giving you correct information but if anyone has had a different experience please let us know.

One suggestion I have for you which will keep your relatives informed but keep the reservation secure is for you to have the app on your phone, take screenshots of anything you can that gives them information (menus of restaurants, the My Plans section which shows what you have booked day by day -I would screen shot each day- photos of the cabin and the ship as well as the itinerary and then start a group chat and share the photos in What’s App or via text.  This way you appease them with info but you keep everything secure.

For this cruise on the Jewel I had booked the Tracy Arm excursion as a surprise for my dad.  He doesn’t have a cell phone but he does have a computer and can log into his NCL account.  I was worried he would notice this excursion as it showed up under “My Plans” but he didn’t.  

Just a little piece of advice that if you are managing everything and doing online check in for each person, you will need everyone’s passport number and expiry date, flight info if booking transfers, address and a photo.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, YVRteacher said:

Yes, we did book excursions for the cruise on the Spirit.  I did all the planning and research for this trip last night.  

week one:

Icy Strait Point: shore ex through NCL

Spasski River and Wildlife (this is the walk that takes you to the bear viewing point.  We have done it 3 times before.)

Juneau: private excursion

Jayleen’s whale watching in a boat with up to 6 people

Skagway:  shore ex through NCL

Ghosts and Good Time Girls walking tour (done it before and I don’t want to do this again but my dad really wanted to do it so I booked it.)  We are docked at Broadway dock.

Hubbard Glacier: shore ex through NCL

Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Explorer (little boat off the Spirit that goes closer to the glacier.) This is to replace the shore ex I had booked for my dad’s birthday that was originally the Tracey Arm Fjord that got changed to Endicott Arm that was then cancelled due to excessive ice.  If it happens, great.  If not, we’ll try again the next week on board.  The Hubbard Glacier shore ex is quite a bit more expensive than the Endicott Arm excursion.

Valdez: for the first week we are going to walk around and explore.  We are back two days later!

Seward: private tour

Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay and Fox Island 5 hour cruise

week two

Valdez: private excursion through Stan Stephens

8 hour Meares Glacier cruise.  I tried to book the Columbia Glacier cruise through them but they were sold out for July 11 and 13 which are the two days the Spirit is in Valdez on our cruise. 
If we booked the Columbia Glacier Cruise through NCL the cost would be $1100 for two people in Canadian funds.  If we could have booked the same tour through Stan Stephens, the cost would be less than $400 for two people in US funds.  Huge price difference!  Good thing I like to research.

Hubbard Glacier: we will stay on the Spirit for this one

Skagway: nothing booked yet.  We dock at Ore dock again and will likely walk to Yakutania point and watch planes at the airport (and maybe see salmon) before going to the Klondike Brewing Company for a brewski or two for dad.

Juneau: nothing booked yet

Ketchikan: private excursion through Ketchikan Photo Safari

@Seas2mountains check out the NCL excursion that does both the whale watching and the bear viewing in Icy Strait Point.  We both loved it the two times we did it. 

I am curious, i did not see any options for an excursion on a small boat on the glacier day for my upcoming cruise on sun.  Is this only offered on some sailings or something you have to call for (ie not on app) or maybe was sold out before we looked….curious if you booked online or if it was one of those things you have to do on phone.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, YVRteacher said:

Yes, we did book excursions for the cruise on the Spirit.  I did all the planning and research for this trip last night.  

week one:

Icy Strait Point: shore ex through NCL

Spasski River and Wildlife (this is the walk that takes you to the bear viewing point.  We have done it 3 times before.)

Juneau: private excursion

Jayleen’s whale watching in a boat with up to 6 people

Skagway:  shore ex through NCL

Ghosts and Good Time Girls walking tour (done it before and I don’t want to do this again but my dad really wanted to do it so I booked it.)  We are docked at Broadway dock.

Hubbard Glacier: shore ex through NCL

Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Explorer (little boat off the Spirit that goes closer to the glacier.) This is to replace the shore ex I had booked for my dad’s birthday that was originally the Tracey Arm Fjord that got changed to Endicott Arm that was then cancelled due to excessive ice.  If it happens, great.  If not, we’ll try again the next week on board.  The Hubbard Glacier shore ex is quite a bit more expensive than the Endicott Arm excursion.

Valdez: for the first week we are going to walk around and explore.  We are back two days later!

Seward: private tour

Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay and Fox Island 5 hour cruise

week two

Valdez: private excursion through Stan Stephens

8 hour Meares Glacier cruise.  I tried to book the Columbia Glacier cruise through them but they were sold out for July 11 and 13 which are the two days the Spirit is in Valdez on our cruise. 
If we booked the Columbia Glacier Cruise through NCL the cost would be $1100 for two people in Canadian funds.  If we could have booked the same tour through Stan Stephens, the cost would be less than $400 for two people in US funds.  Huge price difference!  Good thing I like to research.

Hubbard Glacier: we will stay on the Spirit for this one

Skagway: nothing booked yet.  We dock at Ore dock again and will likely walk to Yakutania point and watch planes at the airport (and maybe see salmon) before going to the Klondike Brewing Company for a brewski or two for dad.

Juneau: nothing booked yet

Ketchikan: private excursion through Ketchikan Photo Safari

@Seas2mountains check out the NCL excursion that does both the whale watching and the bear viewing in Icy Strait Point.  We both loved it the two times we did it. 

Thank you for this, I checked out Jayleens, which looks great but they are booked up when we will be there, but she recommended another local option.  There was one spot left with Harv and Marv’s so booked a spot for hubby while I go see dogs.  He is very grateful to you on this 🙂

• Like 1

YVRTeacher, did you ever go to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show?  NCL has an excursion for 2/12 hours for $79 but if you look at the web site for this it's an hour show for $37.  Any idea whar NCL is doing for the other 1 1/2 hours?  Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcollin said:

YVRTeacher, did you ever go to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show?  NCL has an excursion for 2/12 hours for $79 but if you look at the web site for this it's an hour show for $37.  Any idea whar NCL is doing for the other 1 1/2 hours?  Thanks

Looks like you get to go shopping! 

image.png.a7c52f60fb477a6a3e2ff0fc2c7b3960.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/KTN_09/Great-Alaskan-Lumberjack-Show

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jcollin said:

We just did this in April.  It was a lot of fun.  I'm sure that the NCL estimate just adds on gathering at the terminal, boarding the vans/busses, driving into town, waiting 15 -20 minutes for the show, getting to the return bus and driving back to the terminal

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Hi! Yes, I’ve been twice and loved it both times.  
Keep in mind NCL docks at Ward Cove so the transfer time is built into the shore ex time. There will be a wait once you arrive at the building but they have a cozy wood stove and a fun shop or you can wander a little bit.  Depending on when your all aboard time is you may have time to explore Ketchikan and Creek Street and may be able to take the free shuttle (which seems to be leaving from berth 4) back to Ward Cove.  When you factor in the first person $50 discount and any further latitudes discounts the price works out quite close.  Both times we did this we booked through NCL.  The first time we were supposed to go kayaking but I was so seasick I threw up all night and pulled a bunch of muscles around my ribs and could not move my back.  The NCL Shore Ex guy on the pier was so kind and so fabulous and he made switching excursions easy peasy.  I wrote NCL a letter commending him but I can’t remember his name.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi! Yes, I’ve been twice and loved it both times.  
Keep in mind NCL docks at Ward Cove so the transfer time is built into the shore ex time. There will be a wait once you arrive at the building but they have a cozy wood stove and a fun shop or you can wander a little bit.  Depending on when your all aboard time is you may have time to explore Ketchikan and Creek Street and may be able to take the free shuttle (which seems to be leaving from berth 4) back to Ward Cove.  When you factor in the first person $50 discount and any further latitudes discounts the price works out quite close.  Both times we did this we booked through NCL.  The first time we were supposed to go kayaking but I was so seasick I threw up all night and pulled a bunch of muscles around my ribs and could not move my back.  The NCL Shore Ex guy on the pier was so kind and so fabulous and he made switching excursions easy peasy.  I wrote NCL a letter commending him but I can’t remember his name.

Thanks, not sure the math works out for me.  We are 3 so even with the $50 credit it's still $187.  I fi just show up at the ticket counter it's $111.  $76 left over for "shopping".

32 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Thanks, not sure the math works out for me.  We are 3 so even with the $50 credit it's still $187.  I fi just show up at the ticket counter it's $111.  $76 left over for "shopping".

We did the "just walk up and go" option a few weeks ago - the only thing to keep in mind is they only run a few shows a day (on 5/13 they were at 10 and 2) so you need to factor in time to catch the shuttle from Ward Cove and then a 15-minute walk from the drop-off point to the venue. But for us it was worth it!

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 6:11 PM, YVRteacher said:

Hi @psalm104

I’m going to do my best to answer. I completely understand your situation.

Your relatives can see information about the ship and itinerary simply by accessing NCLs website. If they don’t know the reservation number they won’t be able to make any changes.

For the app, NCL advises downloading before you board. Ship internet is not the best (unless it is a ship with Starlink.) The NCL app changes once you are on the ship.  Pre-cruise,  your relatives will be able to access the cruise documents which contain the price.  They could also make changes if they know the reservation number. Once on board, the app switches to be “on-board” based and your cruise documents with prices are no longer shown.  I think I’m giving you correct information but if anyone has had a different experience please let us know.

One suggestion I have for you which will keep your relatives informed but keep the reservation secure is for you to have the app on your phone, take screenshots of anything you can that gives them information (menus of restaurants, the My Plans section which shows what you have booked day by day -I would screen shot each day- photos of the cabin and the ship as well as the itinerary and then start a group chat and share the photos in What’s App or via text.  This way you appease them with info but you keep everything secure.

For this cruise on the Jewel I had booked the Tracy Arm excursion as a surprise for my dad.  He doesn’t have a cell phone but he does have a computer and can log into his NCL account.  I was worried he would notice this excursion as it showed up under “My Plans” but he didn’t.  

Just a little piece of advice that if you are managing everything and doing online check in for each person, you will need everyone’s passport number and expiry date, flight info if booking transfers, address and a photo.

Thank you!!! This is very helpful.😊

• Like 1

I’m a vegetarian and don’t eat fish so someone else will need to answer this one, but I do know that NCL brings salmon on board in Alaska and even though it isn’t on the menu in the main dining room you can order it.  That tip is from Steven Jacobsen!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We just did this in April.  It was a lot of fun.  I'm sure that the NCL estimate just adds on gathering at the terminal, boarding the vans/busses, driving into town, waiting 15 -20 minutes for the show, getting to the return bus and driving back to the terminal

Did you book it through NCL? If so, did they take you directly to the theatre? Wondering if the higher NCL price includes transportation directly to the show rather than just the regular free shuttle that drops off at berth 4. Trying to avoid the walk from berth 4 to the lumberjack show with relatives with mobility issues.

4 minutes ago, psalm104 said:

Did you book it through NCL? If so, did they take you directly to the theatre? Wondering if the higher NCL price includes transportation directly to the show rather than just the regular free shuttle that drops off at berth 4. Trying to avoid the walk from berth 4 to the lumberjack show with relatives with mobility issues.

Yes, they dropped us off right at the lumberjack show and the return bus also picked us up just up the street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, they dropped us off right at the lumberjack show and the return bus also picked us up just up the street.

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this info! The NCL reps I spoke with did not know the answer to this.

@psalm104 when we did this excursion through NCL from Ward Cove in 2022 they sent vans as opposed to larger buses so we were all dropped off right across the street from the lumberjack show.  We were, of course, dropped off in front of a jewelry store…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, apparently I adore cold cruises.  This summer is looking like a two week B2B cruise on the Spirit to Alaska then 23 days B2B on the Star in Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Scotland.  Just booked the Star today with a great deal and no solo supplement.  I am excited for the trip and also for the planning!

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@psalm104 when we did this excursion through NCL from Ward Cove in 2022 they sent vans as opposed to larger buses so we were all dropped off right across the street from the lumberjack show.  We were, of course, dropped off in front of a jewelry store…

Thanks for the info! LOL about the jewelry store.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Well, apparently I adore cold cruises.  This summer is looking like a two week B2B cruise on the Spirit to Alaska then 23 days B2B on the Star in Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Scotland.  Just booked the Star today with a great deal and no solo supplement.  I am excited for the trip and also for the planning!

Cruised Iceland and Norway last summer. You will love it! Iceland is dramatic. And Norway is so beautiful. Enjoy! I look forward to following along.

Hi to Dad! 

• Like 1

@ellenw my dad will love that someone here said hi to him!  Thank you!

I’ve been to Iceland and Norway before on an NCL cruise but only to Reykjavik, Akureyri, Bergen and Alesund.  This cruise goes to a whole bunch of places with way too many consonants and I am so excited!!!!  

• Like 6

@YVRteacher I can see why you like the Jewel. It has been such a pleasant cruise since embarking yesterday. I always gravitate toward the newer bigger ships and did not know what to expect, but the Jewel is indeed a jewel.

The stateroom and public areas are in great shape considering the age of this grand lady. The crew is one of the best I have encountered. Nightly entertainment was also a pleasant surprise so far with comedian Andrew Kennedy and Rock You Tonight. 

We were advised at the Latitudes meeting that there are 1842 passengers on board. Many more than on your sailing, but still feels luxurious. 

I was on the Getaway, Prima and the Epic just this year; the Jewel is a welcome relief from that frenzy, especially for us non-Haven folks. 

Tomorrow is the Aleutian Ballard excursion. I can hardly contain my excitement. Thanks again for sharing and all that you do. 

• Like 3

Hi @Sugar Magnolia
Oh I’m so glad you love the Jewel! She’s a special ship with a stellar crew.  Absolutely stellar!

Part of the reason the Jewel looks so great in the staterooms and the public areas is the dry dock during Covid.  Another significant part of this is that the Jewel had a full crew for months at the beginning of Covid before NCL started transporting crew home on various ships.  The crew worked daily. In the Palace dining room you can see all the gilded surfaces.  That was hand applied by crew during Covid and is just one small example of the hard work the crew did even with no passengers. This was under the leadership of Rumi.

Please say hi to Rumi, Fabrice, Omar, Juan, Aan, Joel, Yvette, and the two bartenders in Maltings, Kim and Dan from me (Yvonne.)  I could list so many more names!!! 

I can’t wait to hear about your Aleutian Ballad adventure!  The eagles will awe you!  Dress really warmly-we didn’t have enough layers on and please take toques and wear all the layers you have.  Please come back here and let us know about your excursion.

How was your embarkation at the Port of Vancouver yesterday?

• Like 1