Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

On 4/20/2023 at 3:58 PM, YVRteacher said:

In my job I spend a lot of time learning about and implementing universal design for learning, inclusions and adaptations. 
To support my dad, here is our cruise planner.  It’s like the large print version of a spreadsheet.

86C09DB3-BC69-4304-B2B1-C42E07FEF128.thumb.jpeg.5044803ddd5d0656ec1333b66173906a.jpeg

This is what I needed to do in the last cruise.  Due to show reservations (AFTER i got onto the ship), I had to change most of the dining reservations afterwards.  While I tried to have a pattern when I booked prior to getting on, most changed, and my family kept asking what time and where was dinner.

Edited by boltnut55
Left out comment
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

How was your embarkation at the Port of Vancouver yesterday?

Everyone should experience the marvel of embarkation at the Port of Vancouver at least once in their lifetime.

Having read and studied your posts with the intensity of a Rhodes Scholar, I braced myself for the full on impact of embarkation day. Fortunately, my Port of Vancouver experience was not terrible. However, while Vancouver has a port that looks impressive when compared to others (let's say Manhattan Cruise Terminal just for fun), form and function did not seem to be a priority when designing and planning the Vancouver cruise port.

My taxi drove right to the cruise port drop off point by 9:30 without issue. There were many passengers boarding the Disney Wonder but not a Jewel passenger to be found. Not one, not two, but three porters  came to take my one piece of luggage to place in their empty cart. After that royal treatment, I was left to fend for myself to find my way to the Jewel.

The path to my first stop, the check-in area, was reminiscent of a recurring nightmare where I am alone in a large storage facility meandering through dark passageways, pretending to know where I am going, but not really.

When I woke up from the nightmare, I found myself in a large warm inviting room decorated with friendly NCL signs everywhere. I walked toward the priority line and then right to the next available port staff to check me in. For the first time in a long time, I did not need to retake my photo. It was all easy peasy until it wasn't.

The next stop was to go through security. However, from the check-in area to security, I had to actually walk outside of that first building to another building and I thought, how bizarre. Perhaps it was one large tricky building, but I definitely had to walk through one door out into the elements and then walk through another door to get back inside. There were a few people who looked like they knew what they were doing so I followed them.

Once I entered through the second door and was back inside, I thought for sure I had made a mistake by following those people. I saw signs for Exit and Baggage Claim and started sweating from panic. My eyes quickly scanned the room for any signs that spoke to embarking passengers. One capable port staff noticed a handful of confused passengers milling about and led us to the security line, where we waited for about 10-15 minutes for security personnel to show up. I am still stunned that there is an actual area in the cruise port terminal where embarking and disembarking passengers collide. It was outside the secured area so perhaps it should not be so surprising, but it sure was confusing.

After security, we were led to the U.S. Customs line where we waited for another 10-15 minutes for Customs agents to show up. Most of us were able to use the machines to scan our passports, answer the usual Customs questionnaire like whether you are traveling with livestock, then receive a printed receipt to hand to the Customs agent.

Once the check-in, security and Customs excitement was over, we were shepherded to a room with rows and rows of chairs. I thought, finally, I can relax and just wait for the call to board. Not so fast.

After sitting in that first room for about 10-15 minutes, we were ushered into the adjacent room, our final resting place until boarding time. Whew!

After Haven and special assistance passengers boarded, the rest of us boarded around 11:30-11:45.

So, although my embarkation experience at the Port of Vancouver was not terrible, it was definitely memorable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I sometimes wonder if they make it so terrible so that first drink on board tastes extra good!

Glad you survived the harrowing experience at the Port of Vancouver!

I would gladly subject myself to that harrowing experience again to sail the Jewel. I also enjoyed five glorious weather days in Vancouver for which you should also take credit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I can’t wait to hear about your Aleutian Ballad adventure!  The eagles will awe you!  Dress really warmly-we didn’t have enough layers on and please take toques and wear all the layers you have.  Please come back here and let us know about your excursion.

Once again your comments and suggestions are spot on. The Aleutian Ballad adventure was one of the best shore excursions I have ever taken. The eagles put on a great show. We also saw your friend the octopus. I know the crew runs this excursion twice a day but somehow they all remain fresh and excited to welcome us.

I took your advice and wore a thermal buff, beanie, waterproof shell and three layers, except I wish one layer was thermal. Once that damp coldness gets into the bones, it stays there until I can take a hot shower.

Onward to Juneau tomorrow for dogsledding on the glacier. Mush!

• Like 4

Aren’t the crew of the Aleutian Ballad outstanding?  Every single human working on that boat is a superstar!

When you arrive back in Vancouver on June 12 do you have time in the city for a coffee or dinner or Lee’s doughnuts? I work that day but will be free after 3:45pm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Aren’t the crew of the Aleutian Ballad outstanding?  Every single human working on that boat is a superstar!

When you arrive back in Vancouver on June 12 do you have time in the city for a coffee or dinner or Lee’s doughnuts? I work that day but will be free after 3:45pm.

IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I would love to meet for Lee's doughnuts, especially since I was shut out from the Granville Island location on Saturday due to the enormous line. Unfortunately, I have booked an excursion for that Monday which will take me to the airport for my flight home that evening. Nevertheless, I hope we can meet next time I am in the neighborhood or better yet, perhaps on a future cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Everyone should experience the marvel of embarkation at the Port of Vancouver at least once in their lifetime.

Having read and studied your posts with the intensity of a Rhodes Scholar, I braced myself for the full on impact of embarkation day. Fortunately, my Port of Vancouver experience was not terrible. However, while Vancouver has a port that looks impressive when compared to others (let's say Manhattan Cruise Terminal just for fun), form and function did not seem to be a priority when designing and planning the Vancouver cruise port.

My taxi drove right to the cruise port drop off point by 9:30 without issue. There were many passengers boarding the Disney Wonder but not a Jewel passenger to be found. Not one, not two, but three porters  came to take my one piece of luggage to place in their empty cart. After that royal treatment, I was left to fend for myself to find my way to the Jewel.

The path to my first stop, the check-in area, was reminiscent of a recurring nightmare where I am alone in a large storage facility meandering through dark passageways, pretending to know where I am going, but not really.

When I woke up from the nightmare, I found myself in a large warm inviting room decorated with friendly NCL signs everywhere. I walked toward the priority line and then right to the next available port staff to check me in. For the first time in a long time, I did not need to retake my photo. It was all easy peasy until it wasn't.

The next stop was to go through security. However, from the check-in area to security, I had to actually walk outside of that first building to another building and I thought, how bizarre. Perhaps it was one large tricky building, but I definitely had to walk through one door out into the elements and then walk through another door to get back inside. There were a few people who looked like they knew what they were doing so I followed them.

Once I entered through the second door and was back inside, I thought for sure I had made a mistake by following those people. I saw signs for Exit and Baggage Claim and started sweating from panic. My eyes quickly scanned the room for any signs that spoke to embarking passengers. One capable port staff noticed a handful of confused passengers milling about and led us to the security line, where we waited for about 10-15 minutes for security personnel to show up. I am still stunned that there is an actual area in the cruise port terminal where embarking and disembarking passengers collide. It was outside the secured area so perhaps it should not be so surprising, but it sure was confusing.

After security, we were led to the U.S. Customs line where we waited for another 10-15 minutes for Customs agents to show up. Most of us were able to use the machines to scan our passports, answer the usual Customs questionnaire like whether you are traveling with livestock, then receive a printed receipt to hand to the Customs agent.

Once the check-in, security and Customs excitement was over, we were shepherded to a room with rows and rows of chairs. I thought, finally, I can relax and just wait for the call to board. Not so fast.

After sitting in that first room for about 10-15 minutes, we were ushered into the adjacent room, our final resting place until boarding time. Whew!

After Haven and special assistance passengers boarded, the rest of us boarded around 11:30-11:45.

So, although my embarkation experience at the Port of Vancouver was not terrible, it was definitely memorable.

Thanks for the details. We take our turn at the fun in August.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Now I’m going to take credit for the gorgeous weather in Vancouver and for the lovely profile pic.

Anyone else have anything magical going on for which I can take credit?

I insist you also take credit for this rainbow that appeared during dinner time last night.

IMG_6810.thumb.jpeg.c0800f3ea66ca603e593c1e56f7075f0.jpeg

• Like 2

Done!

(gorgeous photo!!!)

Since you didn’t have Lee’s, you have some vacation calories to spare. Highly recommend the truffles at Alaskan Fudge in Juneau.  The huckleberry one was amazing.

I heard it snowed yesterday in Juneau.

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Now I’m going to take credit for the gorgeous weather in Vancouver and for the lovely profile pic.

Anyone else have anything magical going on for which I can take credit?

Arriving in Vancouver on Saturday, and taking the Rocky Mountaineer on Monday. Please keep that good weather going for us!

• Like 1

@ellenw

The weather will be spectacular!

I hope you have an incredible adventure starting with the Rocky Mountaineer and that both the train and the ship have excellent washy washy for the windows so your views are clear and not bug splattered.

IMG_4044.thumb.png.f38013de5cf9105062ae4caf84b73a6c.png

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Done!

(gorgeous photo!!!)

Since you didn’t have Lee’s, you have some vacation calories to spare. Highly recommend the truffles at Alaskan Fudge in Juneau.  The huckleberry one was amazing.

I heard it snowed yesterday in Juneau.

It was a steady drizzle in Juneau today but just as we are about to depart, the sun valiantly fights through the clouds to bid us adieu until tomorrow at Skagway. 

I avoided most of the commercial district as I was frightened by the 18 jewelry stores that seemed to commandeer downtown Juneau. On your recommendation, I shall muster the strength and courage next week to visit the Alaskan Fudge for the huckleberry truffles. 

Instead of shopping for jewelry, I took a helicopter ride to Norris Glacier for the dogsledding excursion. It was truly a magical experience. I’ve been on many helicopters but dogsledding in Alaska…that was special.

After returning to Earth, I walked along the non-jewelry side of the street toward Tracy’s King Crab Shack and ate a pound of crab legs. Their merchandise touts Tracy as Best Legs in Town. 

Onward to Skagway for my 8+ hours excursion White Pass Railway and Yukon Expedition to find Yukon Cornelius. 

• Like 4

I’d love to see photos of this epic excursion!

For the train, dress in layers and make sure you have a base layer that is “barely there.”  Those train cars are so hot it’s like a sauna.  Make sure you are out on a platform when going through the tunnels.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 2