Athens Gate V Electra

killarneylady

Hi. 3 ladies travelling together. Have booked both A Gate and Electra for one night pre cruise in August. I wonder if anyone could suggest one over the other. The Electra is the one on Ermou st but our room would be facing the back ( triple room) . Quoted €55 taxi from Airport with them .A Gate has been  getting good reviews in past from cruisers so not sure which better choice? Priorities- Central, near shopping, restaurants. Both similar prices. Could anyone advise or give tips for either please? 

Edited by killarneylady

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who has stayed in both….

There are several hotels in Athens with Electra in their name. If you mean the one on Syntagma area, then to me the Athens Gate has a slightly better location for someone who will be trying to see a lot in a day. It’s closer to the Acropolis entrance, to the Acropolis museum, the Agora, Temple of Zeus, etc.

Both have plenty of good restaurants available nearby and both are close to the Plaka.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much. The Electra hotel is just the ‘plain’ one near Syntagmaon Ermou St.  Not the E Palace. Just thought it looked more central than Athens Gate which is 10-15 mins walk from Syntagma. Restaurant access more important to us than Acropolis etc on this visit as just one night. 

9 hours ago, killarneylady said:

Thank you so much. The Electra hotel is just the ‘plain’ one near Syntagmaon Ermou St.  Not the E Palace. Just thought it looked more central than Athens Gate which is 10-15 mins walk from Syntagma. Restaurant access more important to us than Acropolis etc on this visit as just one night. 

Having stayed both areas, my own humble opinion is that the restaurant choices around Syntagma are slightly less touristy. I like the “Ant and the Grasshopper” (name is in Greek) just off Syntagma square. Also if you are a foodie, look up Ariston Pies, extremely traditional treat and very tasty as a quick lunch or snack.

However, there’s not so much distance between the two areas. You can easily get from one to the other on foot, by metro or a short taxi ride.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...