Cherbourg - Duty Free?

jantoby

I'm 99% certain that there's no duty-free shop in the port - even the Calais Eurotunnel terminal's goods have always been at EU-duty prices.

Like other Channel ports there are still grocery hypermarkets & warehouses in the town selling dutiable products at much cheaper EU duty-paid prices than in the UK.

But now out of the EU, large quantities at EU prices have been replaced by UK customs-restricted quantities at duty-free prices - not in France etc, but on X-channel ferries.

Cheaper than in France, Belgium etc., but - same as coming in from elsewhere in the world - limited to your personal allowances of 200 cigs, 4 litres of spirits etc,

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

You'll certainly be able to buy your duty-frees in the ship's shop, though if your cruise doesn't include a non-EU port (like Canaries or Gib or Guernsey) that might not be until you leave Cherbourg heading back to the UK.

JB 🙂

Thanks, John Bull.

Cherbourg's the last port of call on my cruise and I'm trying to work out which is the cheapest place to get my duty-frees.  I don't think the ship stocks the brand of cigarettes I want - they don't really carry many at all.  

Thanks, Edinburgher.  I've not bought duty frees in France before.   Will be in Spain and Portugal so will get some there.  Last time I went to Lisbon I ony paid 33 Euros for 200 Superkings in the Duty Free shop.  But that was just before covid shut everywhere down, though I doubt they'll have gone up much.

9 hours ago, jantoby said:

Thanks, John Bull.

Cherbourg's the last port of call on my cruise and I'm trying to work out which is the cheapest place to get my duty-frees.  I don't think the ship stocks the brand of cigarettes I want - they don't really carry many at all.  

Last I knew cig. prices in Spain were marginally cheaper than Portugal.

But prices in France and Guernsey (yes, Guernsey !!!) are up around the same prices as in the UK.

What other ports do you visit?

JB 🙂

21 hours ago, John Bull said:

Last I knew cig. prices in Spain were marginally cheaper than Portugal.

But prices in France and Guernsey (yes, Guernsey !!!) are up around the same prices as in the UK.

What other ports do you visit?

JB 🙂

It's not a long cruise.  Santander, Vigo, Lisbon, Porto and Cherbourg.   

3 hours ago, jantoby said:

It's not a long cruise.  Santander, Vigo, Lisbon, Porto and Cherbourg.   

Probably Santander because of the ferries, there are tabacs near the ferry port. I think prices in Spain  (and Portugal?) are regulated, so the same price in all tabacs. .......... But check the ship's stocks & prices - they're duty-free so should be cheaper than Spanish duty paid, tho probably you won't be able to collect until you leave the EU. ...................... Certainly don't wait  to buy in Cherbourg

Bon voyage

JB 🙂