Help! Is NCL priority access worth it (on in Vancouver/off at Seward?

MommaK2D2

Hello.   Checking in to my cruise and noticed the priority access option for $179 (which covers all 3 in our room). Was wondering if this makes much difference getting on and off the ship

My dad walks fine but has back problems with prolonged standing, so I am worried about lines at embarkation. Planning to check in closer to noon- would priority make a big difference in time in line/how quick to get through to ship at that time?

And for debarking in Seward- we are hoping to get off the ship fairly early for an excursion. I did not know how smooth debarking goes on NCL (on Princess cruise in Alaska there was no line at all to debark,  each time slot gathers and  sits and lounges in a different bar area (I think they have like 15 staging areas). and then you are just walked off at your time slot with no standing/waiting in line)…

Room service is ok, won’t use the spa- mostly want wisdom from folks who have embarked/debarked in this way)

I wouldn’t recommend it.  The line up in Vancouver will be at the terminal to go through security and this has nothing to do with NCL. Once you are through security it will be quick.  You won’t need priority disembarkation at any of the Alaskan ports or in Seward. The ship isn’t full and the management on the Jewel is outstanding. 

• Like 1

The boarding groups are called from a large room at the port.  There’s plenty of seats there.  Does he use a wheelchair?  If you want to get off the ship fast take your own luggage off.  If you let the porters do it it doesn’t save much.  For us we go to breakfast in the morning, go back to the room to pick up our luggage, walk off early.  You don’t have to wait to debark or look for your luggage in a sea of luggage.  Once you have your luggage and if you have passports it’s a shorter line to go through customs 

13 minutes ago, Janicept said:

The boarding groups are called from a large room at the port.  There’s plenty of seats there.  Does he use a wheelchair?  If you want to get off the ship fast take your own luggage off.  If you let the porters do it it doesn’t save much.  For us we go to breakfast in the morning, go back to the room to pick up our luggage, walk off early.  You don’t have to wait to debark or look for your luggage in a sea of luggage.  Once you have your luggage and if you have passports it’s a shorter line to go through customs 

Thanks!    No wheelchair and we are just taking carryons so sounds like we can debark whenever. (No customs leaving as we clear customs in Vancouver then stay in US (Alaska).   Knowing we can sit  after security/customs with embarking is a great help!  I think the last time I was in Vancouver (2019), security/customs  was AWFULLY SLOW but after that long wait the rest   Of check-in went fast?  So probably not worth it. 

21 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I wouldn’t recommend it.  The line up in Vancouver will be at the terminal to go through security and this has nothing to do with NCL. Once you are through security it will be quick.  You won’t need priority disembarkation at any of the Alaskan ports or in Seward. The ship isn’t full and the management on the Jewel is outstanding. 

Fantastic!!!

I would just ask for a wheelchair in Vancouver.  They have them available at the entrance to the terminal, along with an attendant to push it around. It gets busy by about 11:00 because most people overnight in Vancouver before their cruise and are looking to get on for lunch. On Sundays, you can have up to 8000 people boarding their ships.  Everyone has to go through security.  After security you have to get in line for US Customs and Immigration, which can be very slow.  This can take over an hour and there's no place to sit.  Then everyone is separated by ship.  You will go to a hall and be seated until your number is called.

There is a special lane for wheelchairs at both security and immigration that will get you through quickly.  Once you reach the waiting area for the ship your dad can easily walk on from there.