Caribbean princess noro

sns1

Hi, we are currently on the Ruby. Before leaving on our cruise I researched info for preventing Noro. Our internet on here isn’t very fast so I’m unable to find it right now to share with you, but I did find it before. There was a long list of what illnesses the Purell Prime Defense worked against. As someone else said, the Prime Defense one was 85% alcohol as opposed to 60% for the regular one. It said that the PD one was 99% effective against Noro and quite a few other illnesses, but the regular Purell was not.   We have been on the cruise for 11 days and so far no problems, but we are also being very diligent. 

And FYI I was unable to find it at CVS, Walmart or any other local stores. I ordered it from Amazon. Be aware !  I originally ordered and wasn’t careful. So I received very large bottles of the wrong product. The correct Prime Defense from Amazon came as (6)  4-oz bottles and was $23. These bottles are a little taller than a regular hand sanitizer bottle, but still fit in my purse fine. It is much more liquid than the original Purell. You can also order the PD large refillable bags that can be used in the Purell machines. I believe that it is the Prime Defense that is loaded in the machines on our ship. 

just info from my experience…….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I wish there was an independant 3rd party that would do testing of water samples and food samples on these ships that have repeated noro issues.  I've always suspected that it is due to something not working properly wrt water treatment or food handling/refrigeration. 

I'm very hesitant to hate any passengers or crew for these issues b/c I've seen how authorities like to deflect blame in some situations, getting people to hate other people instead of analyzing in a more logical manner.  Fortunately, I've never had noro on a ship, but wife and daughter did get mild noro type symptoms on a ship after eating 'sushi demo' sashimi around day 6 of a cruise (the fish had probably not been refrigerated properly).

• Like 1

We were on the Caribbean Princess 4/15-22. No problems with the Noro virus for the six of us. Princess Cays was not one of the ports. We never eat at the buffet. Food and service is better in the MDR. For lunch on port days went to Slice or Salty Dog Grill.  

4 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

I wish there was an independant 3rd party that would do testing of water samples and food samples on these ships that have repeated noro issues.  I've always suspected that it is due to something not working properly wrt water treatment or food handling/refrigeration. 

I'm very hesitant to hate any passengers or crew for these issues b/c I've seen how authorities like to deflect blame in some situations, getting people to hate other people instead of analyzing in a more logical manner.  Fortunately, I've never had noro on a ship, but wife and daughter did get mild noro type symptoms on a ship after eating 'sushi demo' sashimi around day 6 of a cruise (the fish had probably not been refrigerated properly).

For the US ports it is the US Coast Guard that does inspections and tests under the VSP program. The requirements are more stringent then you find most land based food handling locations subject to.  In cases where there are higher than expected cases of noro additional actions and inspections are triggered.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/aboutvsp.htm

The operations manual for the program can be referenced by this link

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/pub.htm#anchor_1556115898803

The EU has a similar program for ship's operating there.

Edited by ldtr

20 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Not as effective as other commonly used things. How about an analogy.

Imagine that you have just gotten some blood on your clothes, you go over to the sink immediately and water, or even rubbing alcohol, washes it right out. Now let that blood sit for a few minutes and you'll need some hydrogen peroxide or bleach to get it out.  What happened? Proteins had begun to lock onto the fabric. Water and alcohol stopped working, but breaking proteins down with peroxide, the blood washes out.  

Viruses are simple things. Just replicating information inside a protein structure, called a capsid.

Using alcohol on Noro is not like turning on a light switch; meaning that it either works or doesn't. There are degrees of effectiveness based on concentration, the more alcohol, the more effective.

More effective against Noro on surfaces would be either a commercially available bleach wipe or hydrogen peroxide. They both affect (to keep it simple) the protein capsid. That's what needs to happen.

On hands, It's best to simply wash them with soap and water.

Thanks for the info.

I personally love using hydrogen peroxide, I gargle with the 1.5% and use a 12% spray for round the house. Sadly in the UK we can’t get the Clorox hydrogen peroxide wipes!!

Nor can we get the higher alcohol purell!