Celebrity vs Norwegian

C4HCG

On 4/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, C4HCG said:

We want to go to Hawaii next August for a special celebration. Had Celebrity had any new itineraries in the Caribbean we’d have gone with them, unfortunately they don’t. Hawaii is somewhere we’d love to visit and Norwegian the only line who do August. Are they comparable to Celebrity? I think I know the answer and it’s no but would appreciate the wisdom of people who know first hand.

The NCL ship is completely different from the other NCL ships and is staffed mostly with Americans due to the fact that it is American flagged. That ship doesnt get great reviews.   However, We took the cruise in 2017 and enjoyed ourselves.  The ship and service were ok but we were there to see Hawaii and it was a good way to island hop.

• Like 1

I sailed NCL Sun a few years ago. It was fine, just fine. Celebrity is fantastic, so don't expect that level of surface. I felt like on NCL, there was a lot of nickel and diming on board. Nothing I gave into, but they were constantly advertising upgrades and sales onboard. There was also one meal that was inedible to me, and I am not hard to please at all. After that meal, I stuck to the steak option, and that was cooked great. So I think if you go in with appropriate expectations, it'll be okay. I do agree with others, though, that island hopping is very manageable. 

I'm looking at 2024 Celebrity options for Hawaii. One route has three days on the big island (one overnight in Kona and then one day in Hilo. So I am thinking of spending time in Kauai on my own and then time in Oahu, where the ship leaves, on my own. So I'll have a good amount of time on two islands, and then still see Maui with an overnight and the Big Island with three days in port. Then we'll get to enjoy the peace and relaxation of sailing to Vancouver. This would definitely need to be about a 3-week trip, though.  

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 8:58 PM, Suzi66 said:

Last year our plan was to do a transpacific from Vancouver on Celebrity late September, do the Hawaiian islands and Tahiti and continue on home to Australia.  Covid intervened and hubby had to isolate for 10 days in Vancouver and we missed the ship.  Our wonderful TA found a NCL ship (the Spirit) that was leaving 2 days after his isolation finished (early October) and heading to Hawaii as well as doing 3 Alaskan stops and a day cruising the Glaciers.  We jumped at it.
The Spirit was a small ship but very nice.  There wasn't lots of bells and whistles, but we weren't looking for that.  Our biggest complaint was that even though we had a drink package we still had to pay for water and coffees, not a lot of variety in the buffet for lunches and because our room was a guarantee it was right next to the elevators it was noisy.  The other complaint was the entertainment in the theatre.  We love going to the theatre on Celebrity, not so much on the Spirit.  The quality was not the same.

We were on a 12day Tahiti to Hawaii on NCL Spirit last November.  The entertainment was one of the highlights for us - everyone has their preferences.  The ship was very nice, but we like a smaller ship.  The bedding was the best I have had on a ship.  Food was good, not "spectacular", not on par with Celebrity.  Had the same issue with paying for coffees and waters.  Crew was very good, service was very good.  NCL primarily sails Pride of America in Hawaii.  Reviews I've read are mixed. It is an all US Hawaii crew and subscribes to Hawaii law.  Bars are closed when docked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbcallender said:

We were on a 12day Tahiti to Hawaii on NCL Spirit last November.  The entertainment was one of the highlights for us - everyone has their preferences.  The ship was very nice, but we like a smaller ship.  The bedding was the best I have had on a ship.  Food was good, not "spectacular", not on par with Celebrity.  Had the same issue with paying for coffees and waters.  Crew was very good, service was very good.  NCL primarily sails Pride of America in Hawaii.  Reviews I've read are mixed. It is an all US Hawaii crew and subscribes to Hawaii law.  Bars are closed when docked. 

I think paying for coffee and water and bars being closed whilst docks seals it for us when all feedback taken into account. NCL discounted and we will get our TA looking at Princess when they release their 2024 cruises, but also other non cruise options for Hawaii. Thanks to everyone for your help, been really valuable and helped us make a decision. Sometimes this Board can be infuriating with some of the petty bickering but your support for us here shows how brilliant it, and posters like you all, are. 

• Like 1