the truth about tipping

babylene

Generally speaking, hich would describe your cruise tips?  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Generally speaking, hich would describe your cruise tips?

• I tip exactly the suggested amount
    • I round it up or down to the nearest round figure
    • I increase the suggested amount by at least 10%
    • I increase the suggested amount by at least 20%
    • I decrease the suggested amount by at least 10%
    • I decrease the suggested amount by at least 20%
    • I don't usually tip at all

it upsets me to see that some people don't show their appreciation to those who work so hard to satisfy their every whim. When I see the empty chairs after the first night on a 7 day cruise at tables, I wonder if they choose to eat elsewhere so they don't feel quilty not tipping the dining room staff assigned to them. It breaks my heart to think they are being shorted like that when they usually only have 3 to 4 tables per seating to work and if people choose not to eat in the dining room, there's no way to make up what they lose like in a restruant, you can pick up extra tables to make ends meet. I really think the cruise lines should automatically add the tips to the seacards whether service is used or not. If people want to cruise than they should pay for services offered whether they choose to use it or not! JMHO

It doesn't necessarily mean the wait staff is being stiffed on the tips. We don't eat that many meals in the main dining room mostly because we don't like being locked into eating at the same time every night. We would rather just get the buffet when we're hungry. We always leave full tips for the staff. We did have one cruise where we stayed out of the dining room after 2 nights (of a 14 day cruise) because we couldn't get any service. We were a table for 2 and they pretty much ignored us. We still left full tips because I believe the buffet staff also shares in them and we certainly didn't want them left out.

So you see, there could be many reasons why someone isn't at the table every night. (Maybe they don't like their tablemates! ;) )

it upsets me to see that some people don't show their appreciation to those who work so hard to satisfy their every whim. When I see the empty chairs after the first night on a 7 day cruise at tables, I wonder if they choose to eat elsewhere so they don't feel quilty not tipping the dining room staff assigned to them. It breaks my heart to think they are being shorted like that when they usually only have 3 to 4 tables per seating to work and if people choose not to eat in the dining room, there's no way to make up what they lose like in a restruant, you can pick up extra tables to make ends meet. I really think the cruise lines should automatically add the tips to the seacards whether service is used or not. If people want to cruise than they should pay for services offered whether they choose to use it or not! JMHO

There are a lot of passengers who put all tips on their Celebrity Sea Pass card, whether they are in the main dining room for all their meals or use alternative dining options on a few nights. Some of those people might be giving substantially larger tips, as well.

Typically I will give the cabin attendant $20 off the bat with my initial requests such as extra towels everyday, coffee delievered at specified time in morning and juice at night. If I get these things 90% of the time, he, or she will get the recommended, plus the initial $20 and an additional little extra at the end on the side. I had a cabin attendant, her name was Resty on Century, I gave her a total of $100. She was outstanding. Everytime since then, when I saw her on following cruises, she remembered me and gave me a big hug and sent a bottle of wine to my cabin each time. On my B-Day cruise she sent Champagne. I think she on the Galaxy these days.

My last cruise I gave $40 extra to my waiter Vinat and $20 to his asst Colete on the side plus the recommended in the envelope.Again, they were excellent!!

I usually do the cash thing and not on the sea pass.They have to wait for their money then for a few weeks if you include the tips.

The waiter and asst will always get an extra tip from me on the side as well,as long as the service is there. If the service is poor, which really has never happened, I would just do the recommended.

All the other tips are basically what the recommended is rounded up to the even dollar amount. I am not messing with change for sure..

Being in the service industry, I ALWAYS recognize and appreciate great service.

I can probably bet that any poster who complains about bad service or a rude crew member probably treats them as below them and as a servent to wait on them hand and foot and probably stiffs them in the end anyway.

Just my routine and observations if anyone cares :rolleyes:

Jeff

We also routinely tipped taxi drivers and hotel maids, as we were told this was customary.

Sorry, but you were poorly advised. Td's normally have the fare rounded up in the UK (ie 4.70 -> 5.00). Maids only get tipped on average by >7% of guests.... rarely from Europeans, often from Americans.

I cannot understand anyone who does not tip at all; on my various cruises I have met a few. Lisa

Hi Lisa, I happy to help you understand this 'non-tipper'.I never tip for poor-average service (even removing service charges if necessary). For Excellent, exceptional, or unusual service I tip BIG. (often $100-1000). I believe in rewarding excellence - not mediocrety.

I'm astounded at the number of people who don't tip at all. Amazing.:mad:

Me as well... I can understand not tipping more on land, but on the ship, these people have miniscule salaries. Tips really do become a huge part of what they are paid, and they are expected. I know people think this just re-enforces the "master-servant" relationship, but a few people not tipped because of that thought does nothing but hurt the individuals you were supposed to be tipping. If and when a cruise line eliminates suggested tipping and pays their employees more, I think it would be appropriate to no longer tip (unless you want to). I think of it this way though, since tips really are part of the worker's salaries, if they got rid of the tipping system, your cruise price would go up in order to pay a higher, more fair salary. You’re going to pay tips either way. Not tipping is cheating employees of cruise ships. They depend on these tips. This is just my humble opinion, but to me, the tips are included as your cruise price, it’s not really all that optional.

Some may disagree, and that is fine. You are entitled to your opinion, but please, don't bash me for mine either.

I'm astounded at the number of people who don't tip at all. Amazing.:mad:

I'm not. There are a heck of a lot of people who out there who figure that if they can save a few bucks, they'll do whatever they have to in order to do so. I'm not talking about the people who refuse to tip because of bad service or those who refuse to tip on "principle," whatever that means. I'm talking about the people who are just plain cheap. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them.

Archived