How do I choose - Adventure? Navigator?

Liz

I haven't cruised with RCCL in several years, most recently traveled on Carnival, since they sail from Tampa and I've been able to get some last minute deals. This year is different, I want to plan ahead and visit eastern or southern Caribbean in early October. I like the itineraries for both the Adventure and Navigator. I'm traveling solo and plan to treat myself to a balcony stateroom. So - all you RCCL alums - which ship do you prefer and why? I won't be splurging for the top of the line cabin, paying single supplement is enough for me, so probably will go E2 or E1.

Thanks for your help!

Liz

Choose the one with the itinerary that you like better; both ships doing Eastern and Southern will visit St. Thomas and St.Maarten. The Adventure also does two versions of the Southern route, one goes to Barbados, Antigua and St. Lucia and the other goes to Aruba and Curacao in addition to the above ports.

I have been on the Adventure before, and I am going on the Navigator in October.The differences that I have read of is that the Navigator has all glass balconies on all decks, it has both Chops and Portofinos, a wine bar on the promenade and Jade Asian restaurant.

The Adventure is a beautiful ship,and since the Navigator is the same class I think you can't loose choosing either.

The southern Caribbean is wonderful! I would choose the AOS if you can fly to San Juan affordably. The ports are worth the flying hassle to San Juan. You can drive from Tampa to Miami easily but you should try the southern.

We are on the Navigator is September but the first chance I get, I'm going back on the Adventure or Serenade!

Hands down, I would do the AOS again. I love both Southern routes. I think I liked the non-Aruba one better though. Barbados and St. Lucia were both great islands. I also like the ship better.

I may have just had too high of expectations when we did the NOS recently. It's a ship I have always wanted to do, but really it was just like any Voyager class ship. So far the Jewel and the AOS are my favorites.

The wine bar was nice though. They have "wine flights" that are like personal tastings for around $20 a person. We didn't do one because most of the cruise I was fighting a sinus infection that seems to be worse when I was drinking. There were also some other improvements like Boleros that were awesome.

I still say Southern on the AOS :)

Bobbie

St. Maarten is one of my fav's so we are going there for the third time on a cruise. Aruba is also nice....we did that on the aos last year. October to me is an iffy month, even though we had teriffic weather western on the mos last october.

The navigator was my first rccl ship so she is the nicest ship I think. The balconies are clear; which makes a difference and the ship is spotless. I didn't care much for the AOS.

Another thing is the sailing day. We love saturday to saturday. Gives us an extra day before going back to work. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

We are looking forward to our first "radiance" class ship the serenade in a few weeks.

Wouldn't it be nice if all Life's decisions were this rough??!! Oops, sounds like a tv commercial...

I'm leaning towards Adventure's southern route, I love St. Thomas and have never been to St Lucia or Barbados. Also, having only one sea day is very appealing to me. The down-side is that Sunday return but that's true with either AOS routes. I'm also considering Carnival but not as many ports, plus they stop in San Juan from 5P-12Mid; since I'm solo, there's not as much appeal to SJ at night. I'd just as soon see it from my balcony as we sail away! It is a nice sight!

Cruise line's airfare seems a bit high, I may try to do it on my own, even though I know San Juan's airport is a bit hectic, I think I can still buy transfers from RCCL. Have any of you done it this way - and how did it go?

Thanks again!

Liz

Wouldn't it be nice if all Life's decisions were this rough??!! Oops, sounds like a tv commercial...

I'm leaning towards Adventure's southern route, I love St. Thomas and have never been to St Lucia or Barbados. Also, having only one sea day is very appealing to me. The down-side is that Sunday return but that's true with either AOS routes. I'm also considering Carnival but not as many ports, plus they stop in San Juan from 5P-12Mid; since I'm solo, there's not as much appeal to SJ at night. I'd just as soon see it from my balcony as we sail away! It is a nice sight!

Cruise line's airfare seems a bit high, I may try to do it on my own, even though I know San Juan's airport is a bit hectic, I think I can still buy transfers from RCCL. Have any of you done it this way - and how did it go?

Thanks again!

Liz

If you choose AOS, look into the Silver Moon catamaran snorkel with turtles http://oceanadventures.bb/sailing.htm. You won't regret it, plus you will meet other people and have time to get to know them. We loved all the ports on this itinerary and weren't tired at all. We took the Monday off to rest and do laundry before going back to work.

You shouldn't book air or transfers with RCI. It will be more expensive and there are terrible stories on this board about the wacky itineraries people have ended up with....too much stress to start your vacation with. Taxi from the airport to pier will be less than $30 with tip and you'll get there faster by not having to wait for a bus to fill.

Enjoy!

Just back from AOS on the Aruba/Curacao/St Martin/St Thomas itinerary. We took taxis each way between SJU and the pier (about $25 + tip) for 4 of us with all our bags. Our airfare from BOS-SJU was just over 300pp, booked through Travelocity. That should give you a sense of what to expect vs. arranging air and transfers through the cruise line.

We were in a balcony on deck 9, and although it seemed like there was more "structural" steel around the edges, it was all glass below the rail. I recall on the Voyager, though, that the lower section below the rail was steel. I think we were on deck 6 for that cruise.

Haven't been on the Navigator yet - we're working our way through all the sisters in this category :D

Thanks again for the great info. I haven't dug deep enough into the boards to see all the airfare stories, but did find that I can get RT airfare from Tampa for just less than $300, add in $50 or so for cab RT, leaves me with about $200 in my pocket for foo-foo drinks (or shopping YAY!) compared to RCCL's quote of $549. I think it's going to be Adventure, I like the itinerary better - I'd rather have too many ports than days at sea. English Jane - thanks for the QM kennel information. My two furbabies are so spirited (aka wild!) that I'm afraid the Captain might return to port due to the general calamity they'd cause! I wouldn't have them any other way though.

Okay, next round of questions:

1) I have not seen any comments on cabins in the "bump" (hope I called it the right thing) midship. Pros and cons? I think it would be kinda cool, from shore you's certainly know where your cabin is. But I don't know if there are any privacy issues - either for me or my neighbors?

2) I have not seen much of a price difference between the RCCL site and alot of the travel websites. Does the Upgrade Fairy sprinkle her magic pixie dust on RCCL passengers? It seems pretty common on Carnival but I don't see too much about it on these boards. It looks like there's no reason to book it anywhere else but through the cruise line itself. I've cruised with RCCL before, 10-15 years ago, but don't have enough experience to get a C&A upgrade.

Once again - thanks - and have a great day, all!

Liz

Archived