Toulon to Aix en Provence DIY

Mparker12

Hello,

We will be on the Disney Dream arriving in Toulon Sunday, May 21st.  We would prefer to take a train to Aix to explore, but I am having a hard time determining train schedule! Has anyone gone to the surrounding areas via train and can you provide some insight regarding your specific experiences? Thank you! 

The website is SNCF-Connect.com. I assume you are actually docking at La Seyne sur mer, looks to be about 2 hours with a connection Marseille St Charles.

Warning: the French government recently raised the retirement age from 62 to 64, the unions are incensed, especially SNCF which had a very good deal, there have been major disruptions. Schedules are not confirmed until 17.00 the day before.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Thank you for this info! I am following along on the protests b/c we will be in Paris after our cruise.  We have the option to go to Hyeres more directly, but in your opinion is Aix a “not to be missed” destination when in the area? 

Never actually been to Aix, different line from Vitrolles (Airport MRS)/Marseille. I admit small and quaint towns aren't my thing. I would consider it too high risk to try right now. Normally Agde to Marseille has several direct trains, about 3 hours, two weeks ago it took me 10 hours to go half-way, gave up trying to get to Marseille til the next day (luckily I planned to arrive two days early for my cruise).

Edited by Dancer Bob

On 4/18/2023 at 7:20 PM, Mparker12 said:

Thank you I think we will lean toward going to a smaller village that is closer! We have been to Marseille……

I would suggest you consider going to nearby Bandol by bus or train, really only a few minutes.  From there you could take a taxi (buses are irregular and not really direct) to le Castellet, a pretty (if touristy) hilltop town.  It is a scenic drive which passes between and alongside mostly vineyards which will have varying amounts of grapes depending on the month of the year.  Bandol rose wines are amongst the best in the world and quite famous.. There is a""one stop tasting" option in Bandol, called la Maison des Vins de Bandol  where there should be a small number of open bottles for free tastings, although their other outlet on the outskirts of le Castellet is a much more attractive place  in a really beauriful setting..  Not so convenient though without transport and you would need to pay a taxi to wait for you before continuing into le Castellet.

Or spend the day exploring Toulon, practically on your doorstep from la Seyne.

Info and images of Bandol, le Castellet and Toulon easily found online.

Or spend the day exploring Toulon.a Maison deslMaison des vins de Bandol, there are usually a small number of bottles open for free tastings, but the one on the outskirts of le Castellet is fOenothèque des Vins de Bandol'Oenothèque des Vins de Bandol

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Thank you! That is exactly the tour I was considering on the cruise…it has sold out, but would prefer to DIY! There are so many towns/villages to consider I’m overwhelmed by the choices.  I did not particularly want to do a seaside town b/c we have visited Marseille previously. 

19 hours ago, Mparker12 said:

did not particularly want to do a seaside town b/c we have visited Marseille previously. 

So DIY Aix was second choice, not first?

I would not describe Marseille as "a seaside town", it is a port city.

The seaside towns where visitors go on beach vacations  are actually  to be found scattered along the coast in both directions from la Seyne, with Bandol, Hyeres and Sanary being closest, and plenty more to be found further away.

If you are sailing Disney and have kids with you, this could be a good stop to forget about sightseeing enjoy a beach day instead.

My son is a young adult (20) also we have a house at the beach so really more interested in villages not located on the water. Is it relatively easy to get a taxi from La Seyne-sur-Mer, Bandol, Hyeres, La Castellet?