Vatican museum and St Peter’s access after tour

Shoosh123

I am planning to visit the Vatican museum and climb St- Peter’s dome early morning. If we book a guided Vatican Museum tour through the official site can we use the access to the Basilica after our tour without having to wait the long lines outside to re enter St Peter’s Basilica?  Or should I do the dome climb first at 8:00 and book the museum for 9:30?? Worried about the crowds in July. Thank you 

4 hours ago, marazul said:

The shortcut between the Vatican Museums and St Peter's is currently closed. You have to stand on a very long security line to enter the Basilica. 

How do 3rd party tours advertising this access do it then? Will they have to walk around to enter the basilica? 

would you recommend starting with the Basilica and then Booking a set time of 9:30 for the Vatican museum? Hopefully the Sistine chapel won’t be too crowded 

This is going to be our strategy. We are going to queue up at St Peters Basilica at opening at 7am. Hopefully we will be faced with  a very small line. Spend an couple of hours or so, climb the dome( before it gets too busy). Then we are going to explore the area, have a long lunch/ avoid the heat,  then we have a guided tour booked at the Vatican Museums for 3pm. I read that the Vatican is a bit quieter late afternoon. We will  see…. My husband and I have been to St Peters and Vatican before but it will be the first visit for our daughters. Out of the two, I think it matters more to have less crowds in the Basilica, to appreciate the serenity. Also I do not want to stand in a queue in the hot sun. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shoosh123 said:

How do 3rd party tours advertising this access do it then? Will they have to walk around to enter the basilica? 

would you recommend starting with the Basilica and then Booking a set time of 9:30 for the Vatican museum? Hopefully the Sistine chapel won’t be too crowded 

Read the small print of the 3rd party tours.  Many of them will tell you that the connection to the Basilica is not currently available.  They would have to drive you there or take the long walk around the Vatican walls.  

You are probably better off getting to the Basilica as early as possible, but I would hesitate getting a 9:30 tour.  Are you in Rome for a couple of days before a cruise or are you trying to do all this on a port stop?  If you have a couple of days, split them up. One day for the basilica and one for the Museums - both early. If you only have one day, go for a later entrance at the VM to make sure you have time to get there.

50 minutes ago, marazul said:

Read the small print of the 3rd party tours.  Many of them will tell you that the connection to the Basilica is not currently available.  They would have to drive you there or take the long walk around the Vatican walls.  

You are probably better off getting to the Basilica as early as possible, but I would hesitate getting a 9:30 tour.  Are you in Rome for a couple of days before a cruise or are you trying to do all this on a port stop?  If you have a couple of days, split them up. One day for the basilica and one for the Museums - both early. If you only have one day, go for a later entrance at the VM to make sure you have time to get there.

Thank you for the helpful info; we arrive from the port Monday morning and leave Wednesday by 9:00am; therefore am not sure I will get there early enough on Monday to beat the crowds to climb the dome. I plan on booking the Vatican museum for Tuesday morning. We are staying near the Vatican, is there other times of day the Basilica or dome line are less long/crowded? Also Wednesday morning is closed correct?

48 minutes ago, Shoosh123 said:

Thank you for the helpful info; we arrive from the port Monday morning and leave Wednesday by 9:00am; therefore am not sure I will get there early enough on Monday to beat the crowds to climb the dome. I plan on booking the Vatican museum for Tuesday morning. We are staying near the Vatican, is there other times of day the Basilica or dome line are less long/crowded? Also Wednesday morning is closed correct?

The Cupola (dome) may close on Wednesdays if there is a Papal audience. Even if it is open, don't think of going Wednesday morning if you have to leave Rome by 9 am.

Your best bet is to book the Vatican Museum for Monday afternoon.  Look for the "Extra Time - Sistine Chapel" guided tour in https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home.  When you find the tour, click on "more info." It says:  

"Surround yourself with beauty with an Official Vatican Guided Tour of the Vatican Museums and live the unique experience of an exclusive entrance to the Sistine Chapel, after closure to the public. The visit ends with a delicious Happy Hour - served at the table - in the evocative atmosphere of the Vatican Museums."

The "Extra Time" tour starts around 3 pm. Going Monday afternoon leaves you plenty of time before to go visit other places such as Castel Sant'Angelo which should be near where you are staying.

Go to the Basilica first thing Tuesday morning (it opens at 7 am, dome at 7:30) and take the time to visit it after you climb the dome.  This will give you plenty of time to visit other places in Rome on Tuesday.

We have a couple days in June to visit Rome and want to visit the Vatican and Basilica.  Is entry to the Basilica free?  Time entry?  Or must you purchase the Vatican and Basilica tix to get in?  Folks up thread are saying to do this on separate days.  We’ll get in around noon or 1pm so maybe do Basilica later that day and book tix for Vatican the next day if there is no extra costs involved?

Does anyone know when the tix are released on the Vatican site for purchase?  I understand they are 60 days prior but even somedays before my desired dates have errors thrown by the site so I’m unsure if they are already sold out or something else is going on. 

27 minutes ago, eiloo said:

We have a couple days in June to visit Rome and want to visit the Vatican and Basilica.  Is entry to the Basilica free?  Time entry?  Or must you purchase the Vatican and Basilica tix to get in?  Folks up thread are saying to do this on separate days.  We’ll get in around noon or 1pm so maybe do Basilica later that day and book tix for Vatican the next day if there is no extra costs involved?

Does anyone know when the tix are released on the Vatican site for purchase?  I understand they are 60 days prior but even somedays before my desired dates have errors thrown by the site so I’m unsure if they are already sold out or something else is going on. 

Entrance to the Basilica is free.  However, you must pass thru a security checkpoint/metal scanner.  The line for this can be quite long.  There is no timed entry to the Basilica.  Just get in the security line and move along with it.

The entrance to the Vatican Museum is clear around the other side of the Vatican City.  It takes about 15 minutes or so to walk there from the Basilica entrance/exit.  If you're not arriving until 1pm or so, I would probably just do the Basilica first at a relaxed pace and then finish the day doing something else.  And then hit the museum the next day for as long as you desire.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eiloo said:

Thanks @MeHeartCruising

have you (or anyone else reading this) done the bus City tour that they sell?  Will that help with lines or just an added cost and worry about how to get on the bus and where to find it?

I'm not familiar with any bus tour at the Vatican City.  Sorry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eiloo said:

Thanks @MeHeartCruising

have you (or anyone else reading this) done the bus City tour that they sell?  Will that help with lines or just an added cost and worry about how to get on the bus and where to find it?

The bus tour is interesting. It is a drive around the gardens. It starts an ends at the Vatican museum.  It does not give you admission to the museums unless you purchase a combination tour.  It has nothing to do with the lines for the Basilica. If you have any guided tour of the Museums, follow the instructions with your ticket for timing your arrival.

There are no shortcuts for the security line at the Basilica. 

The museum tickets may already be available for the whole summer. Check your dates on their website.

museivaticani.va

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1