The Getaway Tie Breaker Cruise Live Trip Report 4/26-5-1 2023

justhappy

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

justhappy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello all, in the spirit of pay back for all the great live trip reports that kept me entertained,

I  decided to continue the Getaway live trend. This being a short 5 day cruise starting on a Wednesday and ending on a Monday I’m not sure what to expect..but hopefully we will be well past the huge spring breaks crowds of the last two months. This cruise is round trip from Port Canaveral and only has two port calls, Great Stirrup Cay and Cozumel Mexico.

I call this cruise the tie breaker as since 2015 I have cruised on the Getaway and Escape 5 times each. This cruise will put the Getaway ahead by 1. Until January of next year that is…

On this cruise, along with my husband who is up for any trip anywhere, are our friends who haven’t cruised since December of 2019.

That was also a 5 day cruise on the Getaway, from New Orleans.

In 2016 we paid for our of friends to be upgraded to the Haven. Back in the days before bidding you could call a few weeks before the sail date and ask if an upgrade was available to purchase. There were two Haven cabins available and we paid $500 pp to upgrade them along with ourselves from balcony staterooms to Haven Courtyard Penthouse staterooms. To say they were smitten is an understatement.

Now they want to sail in the Haven all the time, but I’m flexible and have cruised in everything from a studio to the glorious Aft facing balcony Haven stateroom on deck 9. Glory! That studio would fit into the bathroom on the aft Haven cabin!

So this cruise we will be back in the Haven so we can hang with them. They are booked in a Courtyard Penthouse stateroom while we grabbed the last aft Haven suite. It is on deck 13, which is the most shallow of all the aft decks but I get that aft view so I’m good. We booked past final payment date after prices dropped so got decent prices imo.

I will be posting some pre cruise travel as we will be driving on the 24th to Orlando where we pick up our friends at MCO and then stay for 2 nights at our WDW time share. Plans include dining at restaurants at Disney Springs and a visit to SeaWorld.

I have already upgraded to the unlimited internet package so as long as the ships internet holds up I think I’ll be good!

• Like 9

We are on that sailing, too! We have not cruised since 2018 due to pregnancies (and COVID, of course) and will be bringing our two toddlers -- one of whom turns 3 the day we are in Cozumel. 🙂 We live in Fort Myers and are heading to Disney this Saturday, then driving to Port Canaveral on Wednesday morning.

Enjoy the Haven! We looked at upgrading (just sold our house, so figured we'd use some of the profits towards a Haven suite), but it was too late on that front. So we'll enjoy our club balcony suite, also on deck 13!

Safe travels! Looking forward to your live report -- probably after we return because my kiddos will keep us busy! 

• Like 1

If you're in 13902, you'll enjoy it! Even if the balcony isn't quite that deck 9 amazingness. We've had friends in that one. It is stunning! 

Anyway, I'll be watching your live and  enjoying all moments you share with us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you're in 13902, you'll enjoy it! Even if the balcony isn't quite that deck 9 amazingness. We've had friends in that one. It is stunning! 

Anyway, I'll be watching your live and  enjoying all moments you share with us. 

Actually we will be on the other side of the ship, I’m guessing it’s just a flipped version of 13902.

No way my live will be as entertaining as yours but I hope enjoyable all the same!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dolita22 said:

We are on that sailing, too! We have not cruised since 2018 due to pregnancies (and COVID, of course) and will be bringing our two toddlers -- one of whom turns 3 the day we are in Cozumel. 🙂 We live in Fort Myers and are heading to Disney this Saturday, then driving to Port Canaveral on Wednesday morning.

Enjoy the Haven! We looked at upgrading (just sold our house, so figured we'd use some of the profits towards a Haven suite), but it was too late on that front. So we'll enjoy our club balcony suite, also on deck 13!

Safe travels! Looking forward to your live report -- probably after we return because my kiddos will keep us busy! 

Enjoy Disney, I know the kiddos will keep you busy there too! 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for doing a live review. These were so helpful to us when we were choosing a cruise out of Canaveral. We love the NCL "brand" - having been on large and small NCL ships, and like the familiarity of knowing the basic layout and expectations. The Getaway is particularly interesting to us as it's a really different looking ship but still has everything in the Haven that makes cruising so special. 

We are going to be in the Haven with you and your friends for the same sailing. Our son's birthday is today (14 years old!), but we are celebrating it with gusto next week on this cruise. We live in Orlando so it's a 45 minute trip to the cruise terminal. To get into cruise-mode, we stay at the Springhill Marriott Port Canaveral the night before and take advantage of the park and stay rate from the hotel that includes hotel night, breakfast, parking for the entirety of the cruise and a shuttle back and forth (runs every 15 minutes). 

Reading all of the prior live reviews helped us commit to the Getaway vs other ships. We've had 2 recent MSC Yacht Club cruises (and one more later this summer left over from Covid funds) that were good, but not great. The Yacht Club is a wonderful product but honestly, it's the Yacht Club staff that are excellent not so much the ships which are a bit "European Fancy" for us (we were bruised multiple times from smacking into the mirrored walls on both ships). Very excited to return to NCL and looking forward to meet our fellow passengers! Just look for the big bearded Celt, the short terrible postured wife, and the ever growing teen glued to his phone. 🙂

Warmest, Amy

panama.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, amygutman said:

The Yacht Club is a wonderful product but honestly, it's the Yacht Club staff that are excellent not so much the ships which are a bit "European Fancy" for us (we were bruised multiple times from smacking into the mirrored walls on both ships).

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. Not because I wish you pain, but I know that if I were in your situation I would be covered in bruises from bashing into mirrors. Despite being athletic (previously, not now), I am about the biggest klutz I've met. So, thanks for the MSC warning! I'll have to remember that if I ever cruise on one of their ships.

I'm hoping to hear a bit from you about the cruise too! Gosh, two posters in the Haven! On my ship! Yes, Getaway is my ship. Haha, I'm kidding, but I do feel very much at home when I'm onboard!

I'm hoping for not good internet so your son is forced into family time and you all have an excellent adventure, along with @justhappy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, amygutman said:

Thank you so much for doing a live review. These were so helpful to us when we were choosing a cruise out of Canaveral. We love the NCL "brand" - having been on large and small NCL ships, and like the familiarity of knowing the basic layout and expectations. The Getaway is particularly interesting to us as it's a really different looking ship but still has everything in the Haven that makes cruising so special. 

We are going to be in the Haven with you and your friends for the same sailing. Our son's birthday is today (14 years old!), but we are celebrating it with gusto next week on this cruise. We live in Orlando so it's a 45 minute trip to the cruise terminal. To get into cruise-mode, we stay at the Springhill Marriott Port Canaveral the night before and take advantage of the park and stay rate from the hotel that includes hotel night, breakfast, parking for the entirety of the cruise and a shuttle back and forth (runs every 15 minutes). 

Reading all of the prior live reviews helped us commit to the Getaway vs other ships. We've had 2 recent MSC Yacht Club cruises (and one more later this summer left over from Covid funds) that were good, but not great. The Yacht Club is a wonderful product but honestly, it's the Yacht Club staff that are excellent not so much the ships which are a bit "European Fancy" for us (we were bruised multiple times from smacking into the mirrored walls on both ships). Very excited to return to NCL and looking forward to meet our fellow passengers! Just look for the big bearded Celt, the short terrible postured wife, and the ever growing teen glued to his phone. 🙂

Warmest, Amy

panama.jpg

Amy, so glad you will be on the cruise too! It sounds like there will be a lot of celebrations on our cruise, I hope your son has a great day today and that he gets spoiled on the ship too.

I get what you are saying about the familiarity with the ship, I like that I can go on the Breakaway, and B+ ships and know where everything is.

We have neighbors who sail mainly with MSC and they love the Yacht Club, but after seeing videos of the ship the decor is a bit too much for me, I have glaucoma and astigmatism as well as some issues due to cataract surgery and all that glass and chrome actually gives me headaches!

I love  NCL for the entertainment they offer and what I hear of MSCs offerings I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much.

Amy, please feel free to add to this trip report, along with dolita22 and anyone else who will be cruising with us.  The more the merrier!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. Not because I wish you pain, but I know that if I were in your situation I would be covered in bruises from bashing into mirrors. Despite being athletic (previously, not now), I am about the biggest klutz I've met. So, thanks for the MSC warning! I'll have to remember that if I ever cruise on one of their ships.

I'm hoping to hear a bit from you about the cruise too! Gosh, two posters in the Haven! On my ship! Yes, Getaway is my ship. Haha, I'm kidding, but I do feel very much at home when I'm onboard!

I'm hoping for not good internet so your son is forced into family time and you all have an excellent adventure, along with @justhappy!

We were laughing as well...but it is a testament to how clean the MSC ships are (we felt like they should have stickers on those mirrors like they do for birds on buildings to avoid the collisions). 🐦

And yes - the dreaded "oh no...we have to talk to each other at mealtime" does happen at least until we order. That is a a standing rule in our household. We treasure that 5 minutes of interaction with our kiddo. 

@cruiseny4life DH Mike is from Oneonta and went to Fredonia - we met in Cooperstown. I'm sure we can trade some NY stories!

Warmest, Amy (the klutz)

23 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Amy, so glad you will be on the cruise too! It sounds like there will be a lot of celebrations on our cruise, I hope your son has a great day today and that he gets spoiled on the ship too.

I get what you are saying about the familiarity with the ship, I like that I can go on the Breakaway, and B+ ships and know where everything is.

We have neighbors who sail mainly with MSC and they love the Yacht Club, but after seeing videos of the ship the decor is a bit too much for me, I have glaucoma and astigmatism as well as some issues due to cataract surgery and all that glass and chrome actually gives me headaches!

I love  NCL for the entertainment they offer and what I hear of MSCs offerings I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much.

Amy, please feel free to add to this trip report, along with dolita22 and anyone else who will be cruising with us.  The more the merrier!

@justhappy completely agree that "more is merrier". I don't know about you, but in between cruises, I haunt these boards just to get my "cruise fix" in. Although it's not exactly as good as cruising, it's certainly awesome to tag along to everyone's great (or not so great, or perhaps even bad) experiences. 

Looking forward to meeting what sounds like a very friendly crew in a week...5 shifts to go! Whooo!!!!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

T minus 4 days… Packing Day!

Yes, I’m one of those chronic over packers but I’m working on it I swear!

Because it kills me to pay a lot for something I can get at home cheaper, I try to cover any contingencies.

My best packing hack is the packing cubes I bought a few years ago on Amazon. We have two sets of 4 each (green for me, blue for my husband).

We both like neat and tidy and having everything in its place and these do the trick.

9366E2CA-2900-4C12-AD33-B43F6FDAA5B3.thumb.jpeg.90b9fc27a3c664bbcbdf1862ffb5e087.jpeg

Our other must have are magnetic hooks to hang hats and lanyards, etc on the walls. Converter for the European outlet and a handy little outlet extender that rotates so it will fit in pretty much and outlet

DA9BFFFA-C713-4C41-B9CA-79CCAAA46D4A.thumb.png.efc098145fa17f805b34d4bb1e11c7fb.png

• Like 2

We had never had luggage go missing on us until last year when one suitcase traveled to Kansas City while we traveled to Pensacola. It seems it took a deviation in Dallas. Thanks American Airlines 🤷🏼‍♀️ Yes we eventually got it back, but since we like to know where our stuff goes so we can say we’ve never been to _____ but our stuff has, the answer to that was Apple air tags.

I just have to remember to set the app to not remind me when I leave it behind as it never fails when walking our dog I get notified about 1/4 mile away my suitcases miss me. Awww, I didn’t know they cared.

On a five day cruise I should be able to pack less but I’ve started giving out gift bags to random and not so random crew members, and all the contents take up space so two suitcases it will be for me.

Other must haves are binoculars because we are nosy! 
Really we just love checking out the ships at sea and getting closer looks at the port activities.

We love watching shows like Mighty Ships and find big machinery fascinating.

One more  must have on a cruise is reading material. I do have the Kindle app on my iPad and have plenty of books loaded up but I’m old fashioned and love reading from a real honest to goodness book too.

I’m lucky to have a really great bricks and mortar book store that is locally owned so I like to support it and try to buy a few new books by my favorite authors for each cruise.

This is my selection…

BE937CD1-0A30-4B43-8AB5-4DAC15BB2168.jpeg

• Like 3

Needless to say, my husband let’s call him Mr D, was excited to learn that this was postponed to our sail away date.

As we have had our share of launch disappointments, we know this one may be no different since the weather forecast is not looking good for Wednesday evening.

3FB01080-EE00-47B9-85B6-1C6DDB28E18E.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, justhappy said:

Needless to say, my husband let’s call him Mr D, was excited to learn that this was postponed to our sail away date.

As we have had our share of launch disappointments, we know this one may be no different since the weather forecast is not looking good for Wednesday evening.

3FB01080-EE00-47B9-85B6-1C6DDB28E18E.jpeg

We saw this scheduled as well and are so excited! Our last cruise out of Canaveral we had gone to Kennedy Space Center the day prior but missed the actual launch as we (embarrassingly) fell asleep before 2000. From our condo in Orlando, we can actually see the launches so we get to experience the fun every time a rocket launches but it is thrilling each and every time. 

Even more reason to get excited for the cruise!!!! I am working every day until Weds, but dragged the suitcases out after work yesterday. It is a wonderful pleasure to drive and not have to fly to the port. Maybe we can all meet on the Haven deck to watch the launch and toast to "Space...The Final Frontier"?

Warmest, Amy

I’m really hoping the launch happens on Wednesday. Fingers crossed conditions improve. 
I know the cruise is getting closer because so far today we’ve gotten the “Please watch the safety video you had to watch before during online check in, again”  for the 4th time today😂

7 hours ago, justhappy said:

I’m really hoping the launch happens on Wednesday. Fingers crossed conditions improve. 
I know the cruise is getting closer because so far today we’ve gotten the “Please watch the safety video you had to watch before during online check in, again”  for the 4th time today😂

4 emails for us as well. Seems a bit odd, but I'll take email overload every day vs an in-person muster.

Weather looks iffy for Weds' launch I agree but will cross fingers with you as well. 

Looking forward to exploring the Getaway - I love the familiarity of the NCL "brand" plus all of the excitement of a brand new ship for us. 

Honestly, with the exception of the Prima (which looks like a crowded spaceship furnished by Ikea), I can't think of an NCL ship we wouldn't sail on in a heartbeat. There are things we love more or less on each ship, but it's the adventure itself that keeps us coming back. 

2 more long days at work...then let the fun begin! Thanks for keeping the excitement alive!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

T minus 2 days!

Travel day is here!

First we dropped off the spoiled fur factory we call Daisy for boarding, don’t worry they spoil her rotten too.

Then we headed out on the long drive to Orlando, specifically Walt Disney 

World where we are spending 2 nights in our time share.4260E21D-9B2E-4324-889A-A25DCDBF0F03.thumb.jpeg.e67b0b7932702243dbaf963d3ddc79fd.jpeg

Don’t let those sad puppy dog eyes fool you, she’s a monster.

A long drive past 450 miles of pine trees and one Buc-ees later, we finally arrived in time to dump our luggage and now we’re headed back out to pick up our friends at the Orlando airport.

And yes, we received 4 more emails today to remind us to watch the safety video 🤨

Oh my gosh! I just want to give that gorgeous little puppy a giant hug! 

Are you staying on property? Going to the parks? Resort hopping? I must follow along as we aren't going to Disney anytime in the near future. 

Two January's ago we discovered Buc-ee's! What a place, especially the bathroom! A wall of jerky is always popular with me, though I do prefer Jack Link's to Buc-ee's. Still...it's a place to spend at least an hour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my gosh! I just want to give that gorgeous little puppy a giant hug! 

Are you staying on property? Going to the parks? Resort hopping? I must follow along as we aren't going to Disney anytime in the near future. 

Two January's ago we discovered Buc-ee's! What a place, especially the bathroom! A wall of jerky is always popular with me, though I do prefer Jack Link's to Buc-ee's. Still...it's a place to spend at least an hour. 

We are staying on property, at Saratoga Springs resort. We love being able to walk over to Disney Springs to dine each night. Last night was Cityworks and tonight is RGland Road Irish pub.

• Thanks 1

Fishlips Port Canaveral tonight …. Kiddo turned 14 and a great way to celebrate pre-cruise. 

safe travels everyone for tomorrow - so happy to be back on NCL and explore this new ship! 

Warmest, Amy

IMG_0225.jpeg

• Like 3

T minus 1 day!

Today we visited Seaworld, the forecast was looking dubious and called for rain later in the morning but blue skies prevailed and we had a nice day with a welcome breeze.

We had good timing on seeing the orca show as well as the dolphin and sea lion presentations.

We enjoyed a lite lunch of bar snacks and local brews. We made it back to Saratoga Springs before a large thunderstorm blew through the area.

IMG_3978.thumb.jpeg.30ed15b0208c6c66dd0431c1098b0db2.jpegIMG_3981.thumb.jpeg.c630c4a522a43d242b4de70aa3b457f7.jpegIMG_3975.thumb.jpeg.4b7fcd60f5be16a92f1171a09b268798.jpeg

• Like 2

The storms ended just in time to walk over to Disney Springs for dinner at one of my husbands favorite restaurants, Ragland Road.

The luck of the Irish smiled upon us as we were seated right next to the stage.

Just a photos of the entertainment and food….

IMG_4001.thumb.jpeg.42205e8175d8fe226129446cde07c582.jpegIMG_3994.thumb.jpeg.1b829cdb5447913d5a45546c15aee56c.jpegIMG_3999.thumb.jpeg.fa664ac1ad3db55c82db1fe5a033eeb9.jpeg

Look at this footwork!

• Like 3