Bolette first ever cruise

Dairbear01

Just back from our first ever cruise, which was on the Fred Olsen - Bolette to the Nordic Capitals 

I've got to say it was a fantastic experience, the ship is just the right size to enjoy the destinations, plenty of space to chill, or enjoy the entertainment, brilliant food and drink.

The staff were so friendly and helpful, it was like being with family after a day

I will definitely cruise again with Fred.

Kenny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think after the Bolette the block of flats would be to big and busy.

The Philippine, Thai, Indian etc crew couldn't do enough for you, with a brilliant attitude and work ethic, shame that for that level of service, they are probably getting paid half of what a British crew would.

Looking forward to going again and maybe trying one of the sister ships 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dairbear01 said:

The Philippine, Thai, Indian etc crew couldn't do enough for you, with a brilliant attitude and work ethic, shame that for that level of service, they are probably getting paid half of what a British crew would.

I understand that the crew on FOCLs are covered by International Transport Federation agreements and that in the past the wages paid are average or above for the industry.

Historically, all "Hotel Staff" staff (Bar staff, Dining Room staff, Cabin Stewardess and so on) have a monthly guaranteed wage paid to them by the Company and, as per the ITF approved Collective Bargaining Agreement. I believe that agreement is between the Norwegian Ship Owners Association and the Norwegian Maritime Unions.

The various companies that make up the cruise element of the Olsen Empire , Including FOCLs, all come under the immediate control of First Olsen Holdings Ltd of which both Fred. Olsen Sen and Anette Olsen are directors. 

Their last accounts are dated 31 December 2021. At that time they had 1,211 officers and crew whom they paid a total in annual salaries of £23,832,000 (including social  security and other pension costs)... my back-of-an-envelope calculation shows that averages £19,679 per person... although a Captain is paid more than a cadet!