Discovery Princess to Alaska in May - With the Lotus Spa Package, can we use the spa as soon as we board?

bichonandon

Our travel day prior to our cruise in May will be pretty brutal, and I know my back will be killing me by the time we board the ship. We have already purchased the spa package, but I can't find anything outlining when we will be able to use the spa. Do we have to wait until we sail away or even later? 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I am so excited for the thelassotherapy pool and the heated beds!

Also, if you have any and all packing tips, this is my very first non-carribean/riviera cruise, so I'm also not sure what to bring for the dress up nights, if it's worth it to pack shorts, and in general, how will I dress on board during sea days and during dinner? I have heard it's less formal, but not sure how far we can push it. 

Thanks for any info, and happy travels to you!

Hello! In my experience you can use the Enclave as soon as you board if you purchased the Thermal Suite pass for the full cruise. However keep in mind that they will be conducting tours and trying to sell passes to other passengers for several hours on the first day so people in street clothes will be walking through. 

The thalassotherapy pool is EXQUISITE! It's not as hot as a normal hot tub so you can basically stay and relax indefinitely without getting overheated. I like to alternate between the pool, the different temperature showers, the steam rooms, and the heated tile beds. They usually provide chilled towels and infused water as well. Enjoy!

• Like 2

If you booked access to the Spa relaxation areas for the duration of your cruise you will not be able to use it upon boarding.  The spa conducts tours most of the day, and the spa facilities won't be available until sometime after sailaway.  Usually around 6 pm.
Alaska cruises are very casual.. think pack in layers for any kind of weather.. waterproof shoes and coat.  
Formal nights are also usually more like a very dressy top and slacks, or an easily dressy dress for women, and a pair of slacks and a button up long sleeve shirt for men.  Tie optional.
Formal wear will be seen, but not in the majority.
Shorts will not be necessary.  Jeans and a t-shirt are standard day wear on a nice day.  Change the t-shirt out for a nicer shirt for dinner and you're set.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bichonandon said:

Also, if you have any and all packing tips, this is my very first non-carribean/riviera cruise, so I'm also not sure what to bring for the dress up nights, if it's worth it to pack shorts, and in general, how will I dress on board during sea days and during dinner? I have heard it's less formal, but not sure how far we can push it. 

Layers! Pack layers including a heavy sweater. I did a 7-day Alaska cruise last May and it we had gorgeous clear skies but it was pretty cool. I took leggings and wore them with my casual dresses for dinners. Nobody really blinked an eye at what I wore no matter where I was on the ship. There were a few people really dressed up on the formal nights but it was certainly more casual than the cruises I've done on the East coast or in the UK/Europe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

If you booked access to the Spa relaxation areas for the duration of your cruise you will not be able to use it upon boarding.  The spa conducts tours most of the day, and the spa facilities won't be available until sometime after sailaway.  Usually around 6 pm.

I wonder if my experience was different because the cruise I was on was less than half full. They let me use the thermal suite/Enclave the first day prior to sailing. A lot of things have changed in the last year. 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rheathslc said:

I wonder if my experience was different because the cruise I was on was less than half full. They let me use the thermal suite/Enclave the first day prior to sailing. A lot of things have changed in the last year. 🙂

That could be.  They generally don't grant access until after sailaway so that they can conduct tours for the PAX who might want to sign up. And you can't make paying spa pass holders happy if you're parading people through while they're trying to relax.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

That could be.  They generally don't grant access until after sailaway so that they can conduct tours for the PAX who might want to sign up. And you can't make paying spa pass holders happy if you're parading people through while they're trying to relax.

That makes sense, thanks!

8 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Formal nights are also usually more like a very dressy top and slacks, or an easily dressy dress for women, and a pair of slacks and a button up long sleeve shirt for men.  Tie optional.
Formal wear will be seen, but not in the majority.
Shorts will not be necessary.  Jeans and a t-shirt are standard day wear on a nice day.  Change the t-shirt out for a nicer shirt for dinner and you're set.

I will ditch my dresses for sure, thank you so much!

• Like 1