Does bartenders have the right to give "one on the house"?

On 4/30/2023 at 3:10 PM, grandgeezer said:

Will anybody that can honestly say they booked another cruise based only on getting a free $10 drink please step forward. A lousy free drink wouldn’t even guarantee I would go back to that bartender or server. My drink of choice is domestic beer and I can buy a 30 pack for about $17 including tax. That’s what I paid for the Cinco de Mayo sale last week.

Domestic beer for Cinco de Mayo 😱😱

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

A couple of things here.

• Every drink --whether it is paid for with an elite voucher or served to a pax on a drink package-- is supposed to be recorded as a sale in the POS.  While Royal and I think NCL still don't limit beverage packages, for years some Carnival Corp brands DO limit guests to 15 drinks a day; that's why it's never referred to as "unlimited."  The Point of Sale system keeps track of every guest on a beverage package and a bartender can display every drink ordered with time and location.  And on Carnival, when a guest hits 15 drinks for the day on their package, they are CUT OFF, meaning they cannot even pay for an additional drink.  The POS imposes a 10 minute wait period between ordering drinks, with the intention that the bartender doesn't serve a guest two drinks within that time frame.  (In reality, this is one that stops few bartenders who will serve the drinks, then wait to ring it up.)
  • It's true that beverage packages distort the normal projection of revenue and profit at the bottle level for a Beverage Manager.  But that doesn't mean there aren't more global standards for accountability.  A cruise line relies upon the data from the POS to help confirm that beverage packages remain profitable, and at a level of profitability that remains acceptable.
  • Ever notice how all the bartenders use measures to pour drinks?  Policy.  Even the most experienced bartender who may have a very controlled free pour uses the measure.  Why?  Ever notice the number of security cameras trained at each bar?  They are there to keep the bartenders honest and following policy.  While there's NOT a security team constantly monitoring the feed, the minute results from the POS point to an irregularity, you can bet a beverage manager will spend some time reviewing footage. 
  • On shore, where liquor laws don't prohibit the practice, a well-run bar may allow a bartender to comp an occasional drink by ringing the drink on a HOUSE Tab.  The most common justification is loyalty recognition.  (That's different than a manager who may ring up and comp food or drinks for guest appeasement.)  At sea Royal loyalty program does recognize the loyalty of their top tier guests with 4-6 comp drinks daily.  It's their conscious decision to not extend the benefit to their loyal Gold, Platinum & Emerald guests, so it stands to reason that bartenders do not have the authority to comp drinks to anyone. 
  • Lastly, to address your quote that I highlighted in red, there should NEVER be a drink served onboard with an exchange of money, as in cash.  Every drink should be rung up on a check, and paid for with a voucher allotment, individual drink package allotment, or as a room charge.  Any exchange of cash would be an additional gratuity acknowledging exceptional service.  When a cash gratuity is presented in recognition of an overpour or drink served without a charge for it, as someone else has already stated:  'it's stealing."  If caught, even the first offense can lead to termination of employment.

Did a STAR Class trip on Allure in March 2020.

I saw the consolidated report of zero charges to my room. It was over 8000 entries. 

Needless to say, the majority were not mine

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Did a STAR Class trip on Allure in March 2020.

I saw the consolidated report of zero charges to my room. It was over 8000 entries. 

Needless to say, the majority were not mine

Wow. I could only guess was put down for my star class cabin last year on Allure. 8000 might have been accurate.  Lol.  

Edited by topnole
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It pays to be nice...simple rule, more honey more service.  A smile and appreciative attitude is just the way to act period.  If that gets you a stiffer drink or someone overlooks your card, it's none of my business...they know genuine concern when they see it.  Most of those had nothing to do with an extra tip either. We appreciate people who serve us, that's all, whether it "Gets" us anything doesn't matter, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  And yes, it does make a difference in brand loyalty.  And by the way, we've had multiple incidents of restaurant and bar managers "giving" us bottles of wine etc. if we even mention we are not pleased about something.  So they all do it whether it's policy or not...and it's not a secret.

Restaurant and Bar Mamagers are authorized to "comp" a dinner, coctail,, bottle or wine" etc....It is rung up in the POS and them comped and accounted for....A bartender has no such authorization... again, giving a drink away without any type of "comp" is stealing, and is usually a fireable offense...

1 hour ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Restaurant and Bar Mamagers are authorized to "comp" a dinner, coctail,, bottle or wine" etc....It is rung up in the POS and them comped and accounted for....A bartender has no such authorization... again, giving a drink away without any type of "comp" is stealing, and is usually a fireable offense...

Are talking in general or Royal policy specifically?