Passport child

4 minutes ago, Twinmom_2015 said:

If I have a US passport for

my children do I still need to bring their bring certificate? 

You don’t, but if you have a different last name a BC could come in handy to prove you are the parent?   Obviously a passport doesn’t show who the parents are whereas a BC is the only legal documentation showing that.  So for some folks, it might be wise to bring both.  It’s overkill to bring it, but some might find it useful.   

Just now, Kiki and The Noush said:

True.  I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) the question was just for ID purposes.  I would also assume that when the passport is scanned all the bio details are instantly on the screen.  

Your assumption is probably right, but who knows.

I wonder about the bio details being instantly available.  I’m not sure about that let alone in different countries.  You don’t even need a passport for US closed loop cruises.  So the only time it would really be needed is in a foreign county and they may not have that info?  It’s hard to imagine all that info is available to them?   Do these small counties use the same software as us?  I don’t really know.   Interesting point.   

Either way, if an official ever started asking about your relationship to the child, a BC would be good thing to have. That scenario should be happening every day if they are doing their jobs 

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Your assumption is probably right, but who knows.

I wonder about the bio details being instantly available.  I’m not sure about that let alone in different countries.  You don’t even need a passport for US closed loop cruises.  So the only time it would really be needed is in a foreign county and they may not have that info?  It’s hard to imagine all that info is available to them?   Do these small counties use the same software as us?  I don’t really know.   Interesting point.   

Either way, if an official ever started asking about your relationship to the child, a BC would be good thing to have. That scenario should be happening every day if they are doing their jobs 

It is never wrong to over-prepare.  I got a passport for my son when he was under the age of 10 and that was pre 9/11.  Travel changed considerably after that.  I never needed anything besides his passport and I took him to Europe and elsewhere many times when he was a minor both pre and post 9/11.  IMHO, the passport trumps everything.  But, a BC doesn't take up any space so there is no harm in bringing it.

15 minutes ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

It is never wrong to over-prepare.  I got a passport for my son when he was under the age of 10 and that was pre 9/11.  Travel changed considerably after that.  I never needed anything besides his passport and I took him to Europe and elsewhere many times when he was a minor both pre and post 9/11.  IMHO, the passport trumps everything.  But, a BC doesn't take up any space so there is no harm in bringing it.

We’ve been asked a few questions on trips and had more documentation than needed.  It never hurts.   Last cruise was a TA involving additional travel in several countries so I didn’t want to bring the kids BCs.  But for a cruise alone it is easy to bring them so I often do.  I keep everything together and right in the safe when we get to the cabin.  But yes 99% of the time no one will even ask you a question about anything.  

• Like 1