Not so good this time.

janecambridge

Recently back from the star clipper. We concluded it really needed a good upgrade/makeover. Some  passengers woke up one morning very early and their cabins were ankle deep in water. Leak overnight from top deck around the bridge. Rotten wooden floorboards and rain! 
Our  cabin was quite dated, tatty and rusty in the shower room. 
The tips: You really are obliged to leave tips for cabin stewards and waiting staff. They get no wages and rely on the tips as their ‘salary’. I find it quite disturbing that we have to do this, especially when passenger numbers are low. Others on the ship get a salary and nothing from tips.! 
Only 2 of 4 tenders were good enough to use. This led to cancellation of beach bbq. A real treat normally and especially for the staff who love to get off the ship for a change. 
This and some more has made us think about using star clipper again. 

Edited by janecambridge

5 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

Recently back from the star clipper. We concluded it really needed a good upgrade/makeover. Some  passengers woke up one morning very early and their cabins were ankle deep in water. Leak overnight from top deck around the bridge. Rotten wooden floorboards and rain! 
Our  cabin was quite dated, tatty and rusty in the shower room. 
The tips: You really are obliged to leave tips for cabin stewards and waiting staff. They get no wages and rely on the tips as their ‘salary’. I find it quite disturbing that we have to do this, especially when passenger numbers are low. Others on the ship get a salary and nothing from tips.! 
Only 2 of 4 tenders were good enough to use. This led to cancellation of beach bbq. A real treat normally and especially for the staff who love to get off the ship for a change. 
This and some more has made us think about using star clipper again. 

It is quite normal for the crew to have there salary 'topped' up by tips - I worked on cruise ships for years & that was always the case. I think the non tipping culture in the UK & Australia makes it difficult & that is why P&O included tips as do MSC I think from the UK. We just included our tips in our bill & slip the cabin steward a little extra. I don't know how many clipper cruise you have done but they have always been a bit basic although we think the experience far outweighs that but flooding in cabins is no fun but I had this on much newer large ships as well. They do need to watch it though if standards are slipping but we go back for the sailing experience & to meet like minded people of all nationalities, most of whom also have a love to travel & try new experiences. 

Sounds like a disappointing trip.  I know that upkeep and maintenance is hugely expensive, but as soon as you start foregoing it on a ship (I think they called it "deferred maintenance"), things can start to go south quickly.  The water and salt air really gives these vessels a beating.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the honest feedback. I have been intrigued to go on a Grecian sailing in 2024. Although my memories are fond, my previous trips were in 2003 and 2005... I just don't read enough good to take friends or family on a "medium" priced (but a healthy sum) trip if it's a bad adventure.  This is really too bad.

Just  back from our trip on the Star Flyer (Athens to Venice) and everything went perfectly (except the heat).

No mechanical issues, cabins were cool on the hottest days, great service & meals the entire cruise!

I asked several, and they do not work strictly for tips.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, guintama said:

I have been intrigued to go on a Grecian sailing in 2024.

I just placed my deposit as a solo female traveler for the Athens to Venice sailing in Aug 2024. I've read that Star Clipper will go to dry dock before then. I hope so, but I will will make the very best of it regardless. The itinerary is what sold me. I will meet a friend afterward and we will continue by land to Barcelona, Beaucaire (France) and Paris. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I sent this to the VP of Sales and Marketing at Star Clipper:

• Terri- Greetings. So great to digitally meet you. I cruised with Star Clipper in 2004 & 2005. I had a fabulous experience. I’d call it “time-of-my-life” memories 20 years later and lots of travel since should say a lot. I truly am a HUGE fan. I dream of returning onto one of your ships. Knowing that the ships are older, coupled with some reviews which might be problematic to sales, I’d like to suggest the following as a “friend” and enthusiastic fan: - A high-level listing of dry dock repairs to reassure proper operations of key systems and ship-shape conditions in press and promotional materials: “green upgrades” or another term which implies improvement not previous deficit. - Perhaps a post dry-dock relaunch event to signify this re-birth of 3 gorgeous vessels. - seeing is believing… “cruise vloggers” (sponsored/hosted?) reviews to show us the current state and share why this line is so unique and special. I know I follow Emma Cruises, Cruise Tips Tv, Zach the traveling man, etc… I’ve even asked them to cover Star Clippers in past years! I had considered a Grecian 40th birthday celebration with the line this summer, however I’m challenged (with any cruise line) to ask my friends (4-8 people) to join and risk a less than stellar use of their vacation/holiday budget on ships 20+ years old. Thank you so much. I believe so deeply in the brand’s value and my memory of two truly fabulous family trips. Hopefully, I’ll be returning next year! Best from Detroit.

I want the brand to thrive!

• 1 month later...