Taking your own wine

dcc617

I'm hearing all sorts of responses to this question. So - I called the Captain's Club 3 times this morning and got 3 answers. We're going to be taking a few bottles thjat are expensive vintages and I don't want them taken.

And if you did take them onboard, did you simply walk them into the dining room?

I'd appreciate hearing what anyones experiences has been. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I traveled last May 05 on the Infinity to the Panama Canal. We also had a couple of vintage bottles of wine in which we did take with us. The couple we traveled with also brought wine, as well as other alcohol. The way to do it is to travel with the wine in your carry on, for the airplane ride. Then before you get to where the ship takes your luggage you put it securely in your luggage wrapped in bubble pack. This way the only ones handling your luggage with the wine in it is the cruiseline. When boarding the ship with your carry on they will search the items and scan them. But the larger pieces of luggage that they deliever to your stateroom later are not scanned as thoughly for alcohol. Never have had a problem, and have been doing this procedure for 12 cruises!! Saves a little money too!!

Hope this was helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Our son gave us a fine bottle of wine for our birthdays in April for an April cruise. We took the bottle aboard in our carryon bags with no incident. As for carrying them to the dining room, we did just that in a small decorated wine paper sack with small looped rope handles. I presented the bottle to the somalier and he said there would be a $15.00 corkage fee (which we anticipated) and uncorked the bottle, tasted it and poured the wine. I have to assume that such action is acceptable with the somalier once the wine gets aboard.

One our last two cruises, we rolled on board carryons full of wine (10 bottles) without any problems. You don't have to hide wine in your luggage.

Read on one of the threads where someone's wine was confiscated. They complained to their room steward who got it back.

we often prefer to bring our own, rather than subject ourselves to over-priced plonk, but we're novices at doing this on a cruise. on our last mercury cruise, we had wine in our luggage and took it out and asked the butler to please open it for our bon-voyage party. he didn't raise an eyebrow, nor was there a corkage charge, but it appeared that he was very flustered at the prospect of our having a gathering in our suite, so this may have distracted him from the fact that we brought our own wine. we will bring our own wine again on our upcoming june 1 infinity cruise, including wine for dinner, so we'll let you know how this goes. by the way, can any of you refer us to a good wineshop in vancouver?

Archived