Native Londoners Only please - tube route question here

We are arrive Heathrow terminal 2 and are staying at the Hilton/Curio St.James on Trafalgar Square. (On the southwest edge of the square.)

I have been using Google maps and the tube route planner to find the best way. We will have a fair amount of rolling luggage and totes that can ride atop them. I want to be sure we don’t set ourselves up to not have a lift or an escalator, or be dragging luggage through the streets. If doing this on the tube is going to be a huge pain with our luggage, I will bite the bullet and we can taxi in or Uber.

The best to route with the least walking appears to be the Heathrow express train to Paddington Railway station , then Bakerloo to Charing Cross. Agreed? And if so, can we avoid all stairs? Escalator is fine, and a lift even better. 

Charing Cross involves stairs I’m afraid, and the Bakerloo line in general isn’t great for accessibility.

My advice would be to take the Elizabeth line train from Heathrow Central direct to Tottenham Court Road (every 10-15 minutes), then hail a cab or get an Uber from there (a 5 minute ride).

Being brand new, the Elizabeth line is fully accessible with lifts. At the Heathrow end there are lifts from T2 arrivals down to the tunnels with moving walkways that’ll take you to the train station.

Not from london or even near  but as we have to get across london whenever we go to the airport LHR or to Southampton for a cruise. we have the same problem.

You may have found it but Transport from London have  a section on step free access.
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/step-free-access.

Problem for you is that the tube stations closest to your hotel are not step free.

My suggestion  ( Londoners feel free to pull it to pieces)   would be to use the
Elizabeth Line service from the airport  to Paddington  ( Said to be step free from
platform to pavement)    then catch a bus   Number 23  from Paddington to  a stop just outside your hotel!

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/23/

image.png.fc6a0cfa72eea6787672951f5f2e32ee.png

7 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Not from london or even near  but as we have to get across london whenever we go to the airport LHR or to Southampton for a cruise. we have the same problem.

You may have found it but Transport from London have  a section on step free access.
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/step-free-access.

Problem for you is that the tube stations closest to your hotel are not step free.

My suggestion  ( Londoners feel free to pull it to pieces)   would be to use the
Elizabeth Line service from the airport  to Paddington  ( Said to be step free from
platform to pavement)    then catch a bus   Number 23  from Paddington to  a stop just outside your hotel!

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/23/

image.png.fc6a0cfa72eea6787672951f5f2e32ee.png

That is an option, but buses aren’t ideal for large luggage if they’re busy.

the taxi rank at Paddington is right outside the Elizabeth line exit.  No need for a bus.  Because you have a lot of luggage and have some mobility issues, get a cab at the ranks, much easier than trying to whistle one down at another station

Google maps are a bit limited in not showing step free tube stations.  A TFL map will show you with icons which stations are step free

You should have no worries about the Elizabeth line at Paddington as far as step free is concerned

On 5/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, gumshoe958 said:

My advice would be to take the Elizabeth line train from Heathrow Central direct to Tottenham Court Road (every 10-15 minutes), then hail a cab or get an Uber from there (a 5 minute ride).

I think that Charing Cross Road southbound (which would be the most obvious road route from Tottenham Court Road Tube to the hotel) is buses and cycles only, so cabs and minicabs (like Ubers) won't be available along there. I can't remember off the top of my head where the Tottenham Court Road lifts may tip you out at street level, but it will be worth remembering this. If you do end up on that street, you'll need to cross to the northbound side and then expect to have to do some loops to head down towards Trafalgar Square. Alternatively, if the locations of lifts allow, get a cab on either Oxford Street or on Tottenham Court Road southbound (ie north of Oxford Street). They will still have to avoid the bus lane on Charing Cross Road, but this will probably be a bit quicker.

A further alternative entirely is to take the Piccadilly Line to Green Park, and get a cab from there. Step-free exit to street level, no bus lane constraints, and a drive past St James's Palace followed by a glimpse of Buckingham Palace along The Mall.

I do like the OP's optimism about the chances of finding a native Londoner here on CC!

58 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I think that Charing Cross Road southbound (which would be the most obvious road route from Tottenham Court Road Tube to the hotel) is buses and cycles only, so cabs and minicabs (like Ubers) won't be available along there. I can't remember off the top of my head where the Tottenham Court Road lifts may tip you out at street level, but it will be worth remembering this. If you do end up on that street, you'll need to cross to the northbound side and then expect to have to do some loops to head down towards Trafalgar Square. Alternatively, if the locations of lifts allow, get a cab on either Oxford Street or on Tottenham Court Road southbound (ie north of Oxford Street). They will still have to avoid the bus lane on Charing Cross Road, but this will probably be a bit quicker.

A further alternative entirely is to take the Piccadilly Line to Green Park, and get a cab from there. Step-free exit to street level, no bus lane constraints, and a drive past St James's Palace followed by a glimpse of Buckingham Palace along The Mall.

I do like the OP's optimism about the chances of finding a native Londoner here on CC!

At Tottenham Court Road the Elizabeth line has an exit leading on to Oxford Street (signed Dean Street), where cabs are hailable/Ubers summonable. 

• Like 1