A group booking. agent wont refund insurance?

My aunt just canceled a cabin within a group booking. she paid the deposit, + $250 for insurance. :eek: Only a few weeks ago. Cruise is one year out, with final payment due 12/22/2006. I'm not real familiar with groups, but why did she have to pay insurance soon? and why wont the agent refund the $250 for insurance? Total cabin price was 1719.00. That insurance price seems vERY HIGH...

In order to have cruise insurance without a pre-existing condition clause you are required to pay for insurance within about 14 days after booking (amount of days varies by policy). You are covered from that date so you can't get a refund. Go onto the website - Insureyourtrip.com and you can compare coverages. That price does seem high.

Insurance prices have gone way up in the last year, $250.00 for that cruise seems about par. They have also added more restrictions. To my knowledge insurance is never refundable on a cancellation. We were booked on Premier when they closed down in bankruptcy, we got our insurance money back because they entered the charge 2 days after cancelling all the future cruises.

Insurance is generally non-refundable unless you take out a policy that offers this coverage with addtional premium. $250 is about right for an older person (not sure of the age of your aunt). One thing she can do is, see if she can "transfer" that insurance policy to another sailing. I know of people who have done this. It doesn't hurt to ask.

What others said above is true - you purchase it at booking or near booking because of the pre-existing clause.

Not sure why they wouldn't refund the insurance money, but if they are planning another trip have them check if it can be transferred. Last year I cancelled a cruise, later booked a land vacation in Aruba and the policy was transferred.

Aubie

In order to have cruise insurance without a pre-existing condition clause you are required to pay for insurance within about 14 days after booking (amount of days varies by policy).

Actually, CSA has a policy that DOES cover pre-existing medical conditions and it only has to be paid within 24 hours of when the FINAL PAYMENT is made. It's a great plan and just as cost-competitive as any other. I always recommend clients DON'T purchase insurance until the final payment is due, as that is when their money becomes non-refundable.

The agent won't refund the premium because insurance premiums are generally non-refundable, unless you purchase a plan that specifically has a return of premium feature.

Hope that helps. :)

CSA also has a plan which will cover pre-existing conditions and refund insurance premiums if cancellation occurs before any penalties are due and like the other CSA insurance referenced in the posting above, it doesn't have to be purchased until within 24 hours of when the Final Payment for the cruise is paid to covere the pre-existing conditions.

Most insurance policies, including the Royal Caribbean cruise policies, are transferable. We have transferred an insurance policy from one cruise which was cancelled to anther cruise.

With her cancelling the cruise she bought a year in advance dpoesn't mean she will lose the insurance. Granted it is nonrefundable, but just let them know you are cancelling "" cruise & give them the info on the new cruise being booked so the insurance moves to that cruise.

CSA, my favorite travel insurance company, now give full coverage including past problems when you buy insurance before final payment, not 214 days past deposit.

Thank you! I knew I would get a quick answer from some very knowledgeable people. I guess she better stick with the booking. :o

Archived