Copenhagen questions?

zulu

Hello,

As the ship we are on doesn't dock until 7 p.m. if we didn't take the ships tour to Tivoli gardens, has anybody got any suggestions for alternatives we could do on our own on that night. I think canal trips end at 7.30 p.m. would that be enough time to still catch one independently ? Many thanks for any input.

Hello,

As the ship we are on doesn't dock until 7 p.m. if we didn't take the ships tour to Tivoli gardens, has anybody got any suggestions for alternatives we could do on our own on that night. I think canal trips end at 7.30 p.m. would that be enough time to still catch one independently ? Many thanks for any input.

I used to live in Copenhagen, and have returned several times, including last summer when I cruised on the Star. Fortunately, the sun is up late in the summer due to Copenhagen being north. It may not get dark till afer 10 pm depending on when you're there in the summer. I would recommend Tivoli. However, if you just wanted to check things out, then I recommend walking along Stroget, the pedestrian street. You could begin or end at Nyhavn, and walk towards/from the town square. However, things do tend to close around 5-6 pm, but there should still be many people out and about. If you just want to take it easy, I recommend sitting at one of the many outside cafe's along Nyhavn and have a beer and try some Danish food or appetizers.

By the way, if you do go to Tivoli, don't take the ship tour. It will probably cost you more than if you did it on your own. Where the ship docks, there should be a train station, you can take the train into town, it's only a few stops away. Or, take a taxi. There will be plenty of taxi to take you back to your ship. Taxi take credit cards which is convenient. Admittance into Tivoli is not that expensive, only about $11 I think.

Copenhagen is a very safe city, enjoy yourself in this beautiful and wonderful town. I am happy to answer any questons related to Copenhagen and or Denmark.

Steve

Dear Dileep and Swdke, thanks for your prompt replies. We are on the Norwegian Dream. I don't know if there is a complimentary shuttle, may take your advice and just have a nice walk around, I would like to do a canal cruise but don't know if this is feasible given the time the ship docks. Any more suggestions are again very welcome.

Any more suggestions are again very welcome.

To do as much as possible, here's what I'd do. I'd have early dinner on the ship and be among the first to depart the ship after it arrives Copenhagen. Take a taxi to Nyhavn. (You'll be there in under 10 min.) Walk from Nyhavn, along Stroget, to the town square. From the town square, go to Tivoli. Walk around, have an ice cream, a drink or two, or evening snack, and when you're finished, take a taxi back to your ship. With this, you'll see and do more than the ship Tivoli tour, and it will probably be 1/2 the cost.

We are booked for a 4 hour walking tour the next day as the ship leaves at 12 noon. So not much time for anything else but the evening before.

Walking tour is a great idea. Have fun.

We took our ship's complementary shuttle to the Stroget and then caught the Hans Christian Anderson walking tour from the local TI at the other end of the Stroget. From there, we walked through the town, the museums and palaces. We stopped in a pastry shoppe for lunch and then went shopping on the Stroget before catching the shuttle back to the ship.

It was a great day and a wonderful way to explore the town!

Archived