Queen Elizabeth - How are things onboard?

luv2cruzuk

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at Alaska on the QE this July or August. I'm on the verge of booking, however, I've read quite a few negative reviews which are really putting me off.

Has anyone been onboard recently and can you give me a brief opinion? What would you rate it out of 10!

Best Wishes,

David

Sailed QE to Alaska last year, are sailing again in August and booked yet again for next summer. Had a wonderful time and haven't read any negative comments about Cunard in Alaska. Perhaps you meant about a different line?

Hi and thanks for the reply. Sounds like you really like QE to Alaska, that’s really good to hear.

The poor reviews were recent ones about the actual ship.

Thanks again, I think I’ll give it a try. They have a great 11 night itinerary, that I’d love to do.

Best Wishes,

David

I saw a very recent review for QE and complaints were centered on the usual issues of poor app/WiFi, hit and miss food in MDR, and embarkation. All seem valid points. Also mentioned was a special complaint that there were no senior officers present around the ship. 

That same reviewer stated ship looked classy and in great shape and liked the cabin. Another reviewer expected the ship to be in immaculate shape after a recent dry dock but that reviewer may not have been aware that the QE dry dock was mainly for hull cleaning and not necessarily a general spruce-up. 

When I read some reviews for so many services and products, it often seems that the author had a bad day and let out that day’s frustration on his/her review of the ship. Not to say they’re wrong, but most issues brought up in some of the negative reviews about Cunard have not deterred me from booking our voyage. 

Of course I’ll write a review after my TA and promise to do so when not having a bad day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Last year we had our second Alaska cruise on the QE - our third cruise on the ship. We knew there would be changes due to COVID which was still an issue. 

We saw the humour in not having cocktail parties to keep people safe but allowing people to pack into tenders and stand in a long queue at disembarkation.  There were other minor cutbacks that had nothing to do with keeping us safe.  The quality of red meat in the Princess Grill was inconsistent. Some of it was tough and even  inedible but the rack of lamb and Beef Wellington were superb. We don't each much red meat so this didn't bother us as much as it did other passengers. Some of the finger sandwiches in the Queens Room were stale. The string orchestra did not play once at tea-time. An amplified saxophone made conversation impossible, something we have never before experienced on any Cunard voyage at tea-time. 

Some of the usual amenities in the PG cabin were missing but cheerfully provided on request, such as a tea-pot and cups and saucers (there was a kettle and mugs) ice, a laundry list and bag. 

On the plus side: the crew were uniformly excellent, the food was mostly very good, the ship was in good condition.  We normally avoid the "big shows" in the Royal Court Theatre, but there was one we were pleased to attend: Top Hat.  A quiet after-dinner drink could be enjoyed with the string trio or pianist in the lobby or the Commodore Club. I have read that a harpist has returned.

The QE is one of our  two favourite ships, the other being the QM2.  Within two weeks of getting home last summer we booked another QE Alaska cruise for next month.  We have reason to believe that the ship is getting back to normal.

• Like 2

I agree with your comment that " The quality of red meat in the Princess Grill was inconsistent. Some of it was tough and even  inedible but the rack of lamb and Beef Wellington were superb. "

It was really annoying not to know whether you were going to get a tough piece of meat or something delicious.  While our table neighbors who usually ate earlier than us would warn us, if not eventually I would just send it back and ask for something else if the meat was tough on the two occasions that that happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Last year we had our second Alaska cruise on the QE - our third cruise on the ship. We knew there would be changes due to COVID which was still an issue. 

We saw the humour in not having cocktail parties to keep people safe but allowing people to pack into tenders and stand in a long queue at disembarkation.  There were other minor cutbacks that had nothing to do with keeping us safe.  The quality of red meat in the Princess Grill was inconsistent. Some of it was tough and even  inedible but the rack of lamb and Beef Wellington were superb. We don't each much red meat so this didn't bother us as much as it did other passengers. Some of the finger sandwiches in the Queens Room were stale. The string orchestra did not play once at tea-time. An amplified saxophone made conversation impossible, something we have never before experienced on any Cunard voyage at tea-time. 

Some of the usual amenities in the PG cabin were missing but cheerfully provided on request, such as a tea-pot and cups and saucers (there was a kettle and mugs) ice, a laundry list and bag. 

On the plus side: the crew were uniformly excellent, the food was mostly very good, the ship was in good condition.  We normally avoid the "big shows" in the Royal Court Theatre, but there was one we were pleased to attend: Top Hat.  A quiet after-dinner drink could be enjoyed with the string trio or pianist in the lobby or the Commodore Club. I have read that a harpist has returned.

The QE is one of our  two favourite ships, the other being the QM2.  Within two weeks of getting home last summer we booked another QE Alaska cruise for next month.  We have reason to believe that the ship is getting back to normal.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

David

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 12:22 AM, luv2cruzuk said:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

David

We are just off the Queen Elizabeth and she looks stunning inside and out,  in Princess Grill and any small problems sorted out,unfortunately  people complain but do nothing about it whilst on board. Go with an open mind and if you are not happy approach senior members of staff in a professional way, they have the best customer service onboard that is one of the reasons  we travel Cunard.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Also, just off the QE. I agree with the prior poster. It is a beautiful ship and has been well-maintained. Of course it is not modern in design, but it is not expected to be.  It has the old world elegance I had hoped for on my first Cunard cruise.  Very clean, easy to navigate and everything was in good working order. Service and entertainment generally exceeded our expectations. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Also, just off the QE. I agree with the prior poster. It is a beautiful ship and has been well-maintained. Of course it is not modern in design, but it is not expected to be.  It has the old world elegance I had hoped for on my first Cunard cruise.  Very clean, easy to navigate and everything was in good working order. Service and entertainment generally exceeded our expectations. 

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated, David

I'll echo what Ready2go11 said.  Also disembarked last week.  Our first time sailing Elizabeth and new to the Grills (Princess).  Having experienced Holland America's Neptunes, NCL's Haven, and Celebrity's Retreat, the Grills, for me, best match my likes and taste, so, again for me, they are the best at sea.  Leaving Elizabeth was like waking up from a good dream that I did not want to end.

Happy Sailing to Luv2cruzuk and all who embark Queen Elizabeth,

Marion

• Like 6

For those who have recently disembarked QE, what time does the Princess Grill open for supper?

We have sailed in QE previously (3X) eating in the Britannia MDR.  Any tips or advice you have for the Princess Grill or for the PG suites in general?  Thanks.

Mike 

Just checked. Thankfully, it wasn't my imagination.

Today's OPENING HOURS QUEENS AND PRINCESS GRILL RESTAURANTS Breakfast............................8,00om to 9.30om,  Dinner.,.....,,....................................     .6.30om to 9.00om

Sorry, it won't paste properly

Edited by BigMac1953