Here's why someone on NCL told me to not cruise on Celebrity

Sigyn

On 5/15/2023 at 11:02 AM, njsmom said:

In December, we did a holiday cruise on the Norwegian Prima. I told this one couple, in their 30's and who loved to drink and lay by the pool all day, that we were going on our first Celebrity cruise to Alaska this summer. 

They were quite derogatory about our cruise, saying we should cancel and cruise on NCL instead. The reasons they said we should cancel:

—You'll be cruising with a "bunch of boring old people in their 50's and 60's" (we're 51 and 55)

—All you'll do is listen to lectures and have to learn about history and educational things (sign me up now!) 
—It's boring and no one does anything at night (sensing a theme here)

Of course, I ignored them and kept my cruise and I'm looking quite forward to it. Just thought I'd share because I found it rather funny. And insulting. Coming from an "old person" in her 50's. 

This is my first Celebrity cruise to Alaska, I cruised NCL 10 years ago.  It was fine cruise.  Alaska cruises have a different vibe than Caribbean cruises anyway.  I don't remember the pool being a big draw, it was a bit cool.  We saw lots of jeans and caps and fewer shorts and short sleeves.  We are not sailing with our kiddo this time (he's got a grown up job) so I have no info on the kids activities.  I've sailed four cruise lines and found them to be basically the same, small variances are expected. 

On 5/15/2023 at 10:02 AM, Sigyn said:

In December, we did a holiday cruise on the Norwegian Prima. I told this one couple, in their 30's and who loved to drink and lay by the pool all day, that we were going on our first Celebrity cruise to Alaska this summer. 

They were quite derogatory about our cruise, saying we should cancel and cruise on NCL instead. The reasons they said we should cancel:

—You'll be cruising with a "bunch of boring old people in their 50's and 60's" (we're 51 and 55)

—All you'll do is listen to lectures and have to learn about history and educational things (sign me up now!) 
—It's boring and no one does anything at night (sensing a theme here)

Of course, I ignored them and kept my cruise and I'm looking quite forward to it. Just thought I'd share because I found it rather funny. And insulting. Coming from an "old person" in her 50's. 

Sounds like they would be a good fit on any Carnival ship?

On 5/20/2023 at 8:18 AM, lv2cruisgrl said:

We love Celebrity and years ago did Royal mostly.  After years of cruising only Celebrity we did Wonder of the Seas. Thought the food was way below par.  We are sticking to Celebrity from now on. 

We are dedicated Celebrity cruisers but we have done 3 RCCL Oasis class ships including Wonder and I can stand 7 days of rug rats for the Entertainment. onboard and the Central Park.

9 minutes ago, D. B. said:

We are dedicated Celebrity cruisers but we have done 3 RCCL Oasis class ships including Wonder and I can stand 7 days of rug rats for the Entertainment. onboard and the Central Park.

We agree the shows are nice, we have sailed all the O class.  However it was the food, and how crowded the ship was that did us in.  Luckily not many rug rats onboard. 

I guess people may think that if they have never sailed with Celebrity.  My mom and I have been taking  my daughter on Celebrity since she was 6 or 7 including a Galapagos trip at age 11 which she absolutely loved.  She's 19 now and has loved every trip.  We also prefer the older smaller ships although we are going on the Edge in January.  Interested to see how we all like it.

I think it's great that that there are so many cruise lines to choose, from since people all have different tastes.