Where is Aft?

Aft is the back of the ship. It is the part that follows you. Like the backside, if you please. If you have your back to the back of the ship, you are looking forward to the front of the ship. To the Right - is Starboard and the Left is Port. Take the letters *A(ft)* is behind you, F for forward is front(of the ship), R = S & L=P. Last 2 associations I use the letters are the closest in the alphabet. Associate it that way. Much easier.

My husband says usually even #'s are on one side & odd # the other, but I don't think some ships follow that.

Hope this helps.:cool:

Which part of the ship is aft???

Great example of a time to use GOOGLE..

Go there and type DEFINITION AFT.... (there are also other GOOGLE methods...)

BTW - The way I remember which side is which: PORT is the LEFT side (both have FOUR letters, easy to remember) when looking forward.

Google is very handy for quickly answering many queries :) (and FASTER than CC !!!)

Tom

"aft" is a relative position, not a location. For example, if you're at the very front of the ship facing forward, everything behind you is aft. In this case 99% of the ship would be aft of your location.

It's possible to be aft, forward, port and starboard all at once. Standing in one spot you can be aft of the bow, forward of the funnel, to port of the bridge and to starboard of your husband. Those are all directions or relative positions, not locations.

So it's like the "thoery of relativity" that's JUST a theory.

So lets say the ship is approaching at the speed of light a black hole. What will happen?

Derf:

LMAO!!

Isn't it obvious???? You go back in time and re-live your cruise over and over!

CTMak

Aft: after/rear end of the ship (or any part aft of midship)

Midship: Middle of the ship

Forward: Front of Ship (or any part forward of midship)

Bulkhead: Wall

Overhead: ceiling

Deck: floor

Ladderway:stairs

Head: restroom

Staterrom/cabin/berth: room with your bed in it

scuttlebut: water fountain or rumors spread around the water fountain

Geedunk: junk food or place to buy it

Stern/fantail: The back of the ship

Bow: Front of the ship

Wow, I knew port/starboard/aft/forward until I started reading all the definitions here! Now I think I'll have to take my husband on my cruise with me just to keep him on my starboard side while I'm standing near the bridge praying that no one is tossing trash off the stern or maybe I should check out the numbers on the rooms on the port side of the ship while he tries that "King of the World" thing off the forward bow. Whew. I need a vacation!:D

Archived