Toddlers getting sick onboard?

babytraveler

May I ask you experienced family travelers what you think the risk is of a 2 year old getting substantially sick onboard a cruise to Alaska? I mean something major, not just colds, which we have all the time.

I know this is a silly question because we'll be flying, and that's a hotbed for germ activity. But there has been so much written about stomach viruses and other diseases on cruises that I'm just trying to assess the probability of a young one getting really, really sick, which could be scary with one so young, so far from home, and out at sea.

Also, has anyone used medical facilities onboard with a toddler? Did it work out?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest you have a chat with your pediatrician about your fears.

Yes, I think the chances of contracting an illness is higher than if your child stayed at home because he/she is being exposed to more strangers than normal. But do I think there is a big chance of a major illness- no. Major health problems are pretty rare and in any case you will most always be within reach of a port with good medical help on an Alaskan cruise. This is not the same as a lengthy transatlantic voyage where you would be dependent on the ship's medical facilities.

I truly think the chance of your toddler coming down with a really serious illness on a cruise is just about the same as their coming down with one at home. There isn't any particular hazard to cruising that would make anyone more likely to get seriously ill, as far as I know.

As far as minor stomach upsets or viruses go, possibly there could be a slightly higher risk just because he'll be around more people and more germs. You're right, airline travel can be a hot bed of germs and viruses.

Consult your pediatrician as mentioned earlier, use common sense about washing hands, etc. and take along the normal medicines you would use at home for minor illnesses, such as pain relievers, etc.

Remember the new media loves to hype any kind of negative story and that the disease outbreaks usually mentioned on cruise ships, such as the Noro virus, are generally very mild and common on land as well. After all, if 250 people are ill on a cruise ship out of 2500 passengers, that's big news, but it's still only 10% of the passengers. It's probably common for 10% of people to be ill at one time in most any venue--schools, offices, etc. Relax and enjoy your trip; be prepared and careful but don't obsess.

My one-year-old twins seem to catch EVERYTHING, but I swear it was better on board because the hand sanitizers are located at every eating area, so we were more germ-free than usual. I'd have the same concern as you about being far from a hospital if we were crossing an ocean, but since a cruise to Alaska hugs the coast mostly, I wouldn't be worried. Our pediatrician just told us to have a good time. I did some checking of cruise ship medical centers before traveling with my husband when he had cancer, and they were very well equiped.

Best,

Mia

I am going to be the bad one, cause I have to say just to BE CAREFUL. I had the worst happen to us. And it wasn't our first cruise.

I've posted this story here (and on another board) a million times so I'll just keep it short. Took our 4 y.o. and 7 month old (at the time) on the Disney Magic last February (2005).

All the kids were sick on board (pretty much cold/cough/etc). Well my 7 month old caught something onboard and started having a seizure, stopped breathing, turned blue, had to be intebated, spent 2 days in the ship's hospital, emergency transport to Port Canerveral Medical Center.

So, will I stop cruising completly? No. We did hold off for a year (this year we are just going to Disney). I won't cruise in cold/flu season anymore. And I'm sure I will be really nervous to step back on the ship with our "baby" again. But she will be 3 when we go again in April 07.

Michele, I'm so sorry that happened to your child.

Thanks for sharing. I asked because I wanted to know other real life experiences so I can plan and prepare. It sounds as if it is fine most of the time, but as in your case, it can be very bad indeed.

Michele, I'm so sorry that happened to your child.

Thanks for sharing. I asked because I wanted to know other real life experiences so I can plan and prepare. It sounds as if it is fine most of the time, but as in your case, it can be very bad indeed.

The good news is the ship's doctors were great. Talk about one on one attention, we would never had that kind of medical service anywhere else.

So if God forbid something does go wrong, they will be able to help. We were just up against alot of bad luck. The currents were too strong that day in the bahamas to dock so we couldn't get flown to a hospital. The captain (and doctor) didn't want the baby in a tender boat with no medical attention.

The captain decided to take the whole ship back to Port Canaveral 12 hours early. And as soon as the boat docked, the medical transport staff were on board and whisked us off the ship and to the hospital.

It's just a horrible feeling being out in the middle of the ocean when your baby is sick. :(

I'm a little nervous about my 2 little ones catching a stomach virus on our cruise next month as well. So I've been giving them the Danactive Probiotic drinks in hopes of building their immune systems before we leave. My pediatrician told me to give them to my 1 year old last time she caught a stomach virus. They love drinking them as they are just like the drinkable yogurts.

Archived