Splendor skipping Stavanger again - Ideas?

lprp

On 5/20/2023 at 2:08 PM, Gilly said:

We managed Shetland and the Orkneys last year and have aimed for the Faroes once before (and the Falklands) and missed...

Favorite memory of the Faroe Islands was seeing a man cutting his grass...

Edited by labonnevie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:09 AM, Techno123 said:

We are sailing with Seabourn on a Norwegian Fjord cruise in a few weeks and they have cancelled the scenic cruising of the Trollfjord (Please be advised that due to operational considerations, Seabourn Ovation will no longer conduct scenic cruising of Trollfjord as previously scheduled). And we aren't visiting Flam as previous cruises have done (but that was never on our itinerary) so they are all 'at it'  with the operational issues 😁

Doing some research it appears that Norway are 'discouraging' anything other than clean energy ships in some fjords and some ports will only allow a limited number of ships at a time. I assume cruise ships can cause significant damage (look at Venice). 

From 2026 there will be changes for cruise ships in Norway´s fjords.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lucas34 said:

From 2026 there will be changes for cruise ships in Norway´s fjords.

Is that size, fuel or both? I know many of the cruise ships are trying to improve their sustainability credentials but I imagine any sort of fuel spill in those pristine fjords would be devastating.

Only zero emission-free cruise ships will be allowed to call at Geiranger and Flåm. Both fjords has already opened applications for cruise calls in 2026 but not single cruise ship has applied.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lucas34 said:

Only zero emission-free cruise ships will be allowed to call at Geiranger and Flåm. Both fjords has already opened applications for cruise calls in 2026 but not single cruise ship has applied.

Yes, that is what I have read - probably because there aren't any zero emission cruise ships yet.

On 5/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, lesliew said:

Has anyone heard if there will be any refund/credit offered for missing this port? (ie refund port fees)

I believe Regent is like Viking where port taxes and fees are all included in the fare, they don’t separate them. I have never seen the fees on my invoice. Therefore you would not receive any refund for the missed ports.