Disembarkation at Port Canaveral

Dom_Rice

HI All,

We are new to Cruising, and have a 7 day cruise on MSC Seashore from Port Canaveral around the Caribbean from the 22nd December 2023. Just wanted to ask a question in regards to Disembarking. Apologies for the long yarn....

We are staying in Orlando for 4 days before the cruise, so have a car booked from MCO, which we are intending to drive down to Port Canaveral on the 22nd morning and handing back to Alamo. When we return on the 29th, i am assuming the boat is docked early and the boot you off? How long on average does it take to get off the ship? I understand this is dependent on your room, board and how busy the cruise is (i assume very busy at this time of year). 

The reason I ask, we aren't sure what to do this day. I thought we'd still be on the boat until 10-11am, but i see this could be very different. Our flight isnt until 6pm that night, so dont really want to sit at the airport. If we can get off the Ship early, I am considering renting a car to drive back to Disney Springs for a few hours.

Any advice, previous experience would be appreciated...

They will want you out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m. at the latest, and will want you off the ship by 10.  Walk-offs usually start by 7:00 a.m.  Keep in mind that people on the next cruise can't board until everyone on your cruise disembarks and the Coast Guard "zeroes" out the boat to allow embarkation.  If I had a late flight like yours, I would rent a car to take the day to go to Disney Springs (or wherever),  The shuttles to the rental location on Mullet Rd. run very frequently.  We never had a surcharge for the one-way rental, so you should only be charged for a normal day (I use Enterprise personally, but assume it would be the same for Alamo).

That's amazing, thank you. We really fancy renting a car and doing something this day. Sounds better that milling around at the airport for 6 hours. I did check with Alamo, and they wanted a $58 surcharge for dropping off at a different locations (each way). I only priced them as they had the 'skip the checkout'. I will have a price with Enterprise as well, so great tip.

Its a bit daunting doing this whole cruise malarky when you dont really know the score. We have done a short cruise from Southampton before, but nothing like this. I appreciate your time to comment...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dom_Rice said:

That's amazing, thank you. We really fancy renting a car and doing something this day. Sounds better that milling around at the airport for 6 hours. I did check with Alamo, and they wanted a $58 surcharge for dropping off at a different locations (each way). I only priced them as they had the 'skip the checkout'. I will have a price with Enterprise as well, so great tip.

Its a bit daunting doing this whole cruise malarky when you dont really know the score. We have done a short cruise from Southampton before, but nothing like this. I appreciate your time to comment...

You are most welcome.  I would check all three rental agencies at that Mullet Rd. location: Alamo, National, and Enterprise.  Even though they have the same overall owner, they do act a bit differently.  I would go directly through their websites, and not use a travel site.

• Thanks 1

I did look at Uber, it’s about $100 to Disney Speings, but we’d then have to pay again to MCO. We quite like the flexibility of the car, but there isn’t much in it. The Uber did say be aware of Surge Pricing (not sure what that is, I guess if lots of people request Ubers all at once?)

21 minutes ago, Dom_Rice said:

I did look at Uber, it’s about $100 to Disney Speings, but we’d then have to pay again to MCO. We quite like the flexibility of the car, but there isn’t much in it. The Uber did say be aware of Surge Pricing (not sure what that is, I guess if lots of people request Ubers all at once?)

Surge pricing is an increase in the rate when the area you are in is very busy.  Such as end of a football game, concert, cruise ship unloading.

Everyone has their personal preference, but if you have not been to Kennedy Space Center it's an amazing place to visit. Perfect for all ages and abilities, and it makes you believe in the greatness that humanity can achieve. Every time we go as a family, my husband and I tear up or outright cry...honest to G-d, this place (as the kids say) gives you "all the feels". It's about 15 minutes from the port, free parking, opens early, has places to eat, and then is a straight shot to Orlando Regional. 

If you are worried about spending money, avoid the Springs. Sure, if you are a Disney fanatic, it has amazing stores, but it's really just a large fancy outdoor mall. And by outdoor...I mean "Florida Hot". Biased here as we are not huge Disney fans (though love the cruise line), but other than the unique Coke Store my son loves (yes...they have a store devoted to Coke), we tend to avoid this place. 

Warning about Orlando Regional - traffic and TSA are a NIGHTMARE. Depending on time of day, you may wait in line >60 minutes if you do not have Clear or TSA Pre-Check. Keep that in mind when planning your car rental return. 

Have a wonderful post-cruise day whatever you chose to do!

Warmest, Amy