Appropriate dress for speciality restaurants on Princess Cruises

prboylan

Hi - we have cruised Princess many times but stopped doing formal nights years ago.  We typically use those nights to visit the specialty restaurants and we wear nice clothes (dress pants & dress shirt/blouse). We're doing a transatlantic cruise next year from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton. When we disembark we are going to spend the next month traveling throughout Italy, Spain & Portugal but since we will be traveling by train, we'd like to keep our packing somewhat light. We'd really rather not schlep dress clothes and dress shoes (especially given how heavy men's can be!) with us when we won't be using them for the month.  Any suggestions for how we can still frequent the specialty restaurants - just what would be appropriate.  Obviously no shorts, tank tops, etc!  Also, wouldn't be opposed to bringing them and mailing them back home (US) from the airport in Heathrow.  Just not sure how expensive that would be. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

• 1 month later...

Hi @prboylan, we cruise on the Emerald (Dec/Jan) and the Crown (March/April) and ate in the specialty restaurants several time.  There really isn't much of a dress code.  We wear nice clothes, nothing fancy but we've seen shorts and t-shirts and jeans and polo shirts as well.  I think you'll be fine with just about anything.  (Maybe skip the speedo)🙂

• Haha 1

Thank you for responding.  Haha -- definitely no speedos!!!  I think I've figured it out...just black tapered pants with black flats.  Won't be too heavy & I can also use them throughout Spain. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dress code for Specialty Restaurants according to Princess is: Smart Casual. Never formal or extra dressy required. We have seen folks in everything from a Tuxedo to (one time only) shorts and a tee shirt but, for the most part, it is more along the lines of a button down shirt and Dockers. Smart Casual is what Princess says is the "dress code" (often ignored by many but adhered to by my wife and me) is for every evening other than "formal" or "dress to impress" evenings. Obviously, none of these things can possibly apply to Lido deck and none will be "enforced" by Princess staff. We just enjoy having a "slightly nicer" atmosphere in the evenings.

Whatever you do, have a great cruise. Don't let any little things annoy you or get you down. Just smile and go on your way and enjoy yourselves.