From Livorno to Florence

Saukkey1

My husband and I want to go from Livorno to Florence. I don’t think we want the ship excursion because we want to spend most of the day there. I’ve looked at transfers but it seems like the train gives us the most flexibility with time. Does anyone have any experience taking the train from Livorno to Florence ? Since it’s an overnight, we aren’t worried about “getting back to the ship on time”. 

The train is very easy, the hardest part is getting from the ship to the train station.  If your ship offers a transfer that would be the easiest route.

If not, they will offer a transfer into town.  These transfers leave you at Piazza del Municipio in Livorno, from there to the train station is an easy half hour walk (2.4 km/1.5 miles) or you can take a public bus (Lam Blu, schedule here:  LAM_BLU.pdf (amazonaws.com)).

Since your ship is doing an overnight, you might want to consider spending the night in Florence :).  This will give you more time that first day, and you can enjoy a nice dinner in town,

Hank

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Since your ship is doing an overnight, you might want to consider spending the night in Florence :).  This will give you more time that first day, and you can enjoy a nice dinner in town,

Hank

Hi there! We want to spend the night in Florence. Did you have any trouble getting back to port the next day? Any tips? We are on NCL.

3 hours ago, MrsDCAtoCO said:

Hi there! We want to spend the night in Florence. Did you have any trouble getting back to port the next day? Any tips? We are on NCL.

There are periodic trains (all day) between Florence and Livorno.;  You can find the schedule on several web sites although the most reliable would be to use the Trenitalia site.  The biggest hassle is getting a taxi from the Livorno train station back to the port since there are a limited number of taxis at the station.  We always suggest that folks be among the first off the train, head directly (and quickly) to the front entrance/exit of the station.  It is also wise to allow plenty of extra time (in case you must wait for a taxi) so do not take the last possible train back to Livorno.

Florence is a lovely city with more than its share of museums, shopping, good food, etc. Keep in mind that you can pre-purchase times entry tickets to some of the most popular museums.  Entrance line can be long (during the high season) so many consider this a good idea. 

When DW and I stay in Florence we love to take long walks along the Arno River.  Florence has some excellent restaurants and folks can find places in all price ranges.  One of our own favorites is called Osteria Della Tre Pancha  (I think they recently opened a 2nd location) which specializes in everything "truffles."   But we only suggest that restaurant for true truffle lovers.   If you do decide to stay overnight, we strongly recommend you spend some fun time (while at home) researching Florence restaurants and book your choice prior to the trip.  

Hank