Passport expiration within 6 months?

KPookey

Just booked my first Carribean 5 day…Bimini and Puerto Plata. Closed loop from Miami. 

I didn’t know my passport should be valid for 6 plus months or that Virgin requires that as your ID. I found that out when inputting my information after I booked. Renewal turn around is bad right now. I may not get in in time even if expedited. 

Question: I did call Virgin and receive a one time exception to sail with a passport expiring within 6 mos, I have a letter. Has anyone had any issues with this?

Or experience?  I do have original birth certificate, State ID, passport expiring 4 months after trip.  

Any input appreciated, very nervous…

Edited by KPookey

The US government does not require a passport at all for a closed loop Caribbean cruise.  So, if you have a letter from VV stating that they will allow you to cruise despite their requirements, you will be able to cruise.  The only issue would be if a medical or other emergency required you to leave the ship and ultimately fly home, but again, per the US government, your passport is good for re-entry to the US up to the expiration date.  So your only real issue is with VV, not with the Customs and Immigration.

What are passport renewals listing for turn around now?  They were at 11 weeks for regular service when we did my daughter's, and got it back in about 6 weeks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cantgetin said:
What are passport renewals listing for turn around now?  They were at 11 weeks for regular service when we did my daughter's, and got it back in about 6 weeks.

Per the US State Department website, 10-13 weeks for regular renewals and 7-9 weeks for expedited renewals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's tough....as long as you have the letter from VV saying that you can cruise without meeting their 6 month requirement, I'd probably go on that basis and renew as soon as you get home.  Take along the birth certificate just in case you get some silly check in person who tried to reject your passport based on their 6 month rule and then demands the birth certificate.  I know that's stupid, but.....  If something were to happen that required you to fly home, your unexpired passport would be fine.  If you send it off for renewal and it doesn't come back within the time frame, you could still cruise on the birth certificate, but wouldn't have the passport for an emergency.

Yes, there is a method to work with the closest consulate or embassy to get an emergency passport in unusual situations, but that means you are dealing with more stress in an already difficult situation.

The other alternative would be to send it in today with expedited service, and if you don't have it back within 10 weeks, make a trip to your senator's office.  They have a funny way of making bureaucratic things happen,

• Like 2

Expedited service is 7-9 weeks, I sail in 10 weeks from today. I’m not sending it in. It’s just a big risk I’m not going to get it back.   It expires 4 months after sailing…not a few days.  I look the same, except a few extra wrinkles 😂
I’m using the letter and my original passport and bringing birth certificate and DL. I’m sure I’ll be nervous until I’m on the boat. 

• Like 2