Snorkeling at Xel Ha, MX

mulder

I am going to be snorkeling at Xel Ha, MX and I am very excited, but I am starting to question a few things. My resort and Xel Ha have both told me, "Don't bother bringing your own snorkel gear, we have stuff you can use". However, I have been reading up on reviews from people who have snorkeled at Xel Ha. They have said the water is cloudy, not many fish, poor equipment, too many people, you have to buy their sunblock, they won't let you bring in your own. All this is starting to make me question how much fun I really will have. But, just as many people have left reviews that it will be awesome. Give some encouragement to a novice who is beginning to question himself and the decision to purchase equipment and where he will be snorkeling. I would also appreciate any reviews from people who have scuba'd at Xel Ha.

I am going to be snorkeling at Xel Ha, MX and I am very excited, but I am starting to question a few things. My resort and Xel Ha have both told me, "Don't bother bringing your own snorkel gear, we have stuff you can use". However, I have been reading up on reviews from people who have snorkeled at Xel Ha. They have said the water is cloudy, not many fish, poor equipment, too many people, you have to buy their sunblock, they won't let you bring in your own. All this is starting to make me question how much fun I really will have. But, just as many people have left reviews that it will be awesome. Give some encouragement to a novice who is beginning to question himself and the decision to purchase equipment and where he will be snorkeling. I would also appreciate any reviews from people who have scuba'd at Xel Ha.

we went to Xel Ha and had a wonderful time. They have restrictions on what kind of sunblock - we wore tee shirts into the water. We brought our own snorkel gear (mask and snorkel - that's it) - we were on an excursion and knew our time was limited, so we didn't want to waste time renting gear or returning it.

One side of the lagoon the water was cloudier than the other -

the place was wonderful and was one of the few places in Mexico that we would go back to.

My husband, my 10 year old daughter and myself went to Xel Ha 9/2005. We loved it and are planning on going back (possibly in Dec 06). We had biodegradable sunscreen with us and were able to take it in. We also had our own snorkel gear. This was one of the best excursions that we have ever done in Mexico.

Went to Xel-Ha in 2005, had a blast. We snorkeled around the lagoon and saw many fish both big and small, water clarity was not that different from Cozumel, clear enough to take underwater photos. There are many things to do at Xel-Ha, these include the aformentioned snorkeling (into a "Mayan" cave as well), lazy river, vine swing and other things that we did not get to. We used the snorkel equipment for a deposit fee (~$10), everyone gets a new snorkel tube. My parents just returned from there and had a great time as well (age mid 50's). This is a place that all ages can enjoy, we'll return again. The sunscreen that they request you use is biodegradable (marked on the bottle), I'm sure the price is higher at the park, try to buy it locally before you go, they're being eco-friendly.:)

Xel Ha is wonderful! Don't worry about the negative comments. My husband and I have snorkled the Caribbean for over 20 years and Xel Ha is a very unique place. We saw some of the biggest fish ever! There are alot of people at Xel Ha, but it is a Huge place so you will never be snorkling ontop of other people like you are on many other excursions such as Shark-Ray Alley in Belize. The suntan lotion restriction is to protect the environment, use a tee, or if you really need alot of protection, use a wet suit. A bit of advice: Don't do this trip with Tulum, you will not have enough time to enjoy all that Xel Ha has to offer. As for snorkel gear: If you plan on doing snorkling on a regular basis, invest in a well fitted mask and snorkel and fins if you like. Some places now provide you with a new snorkel and allow you to keep it, but some still "wash" and reuse. If you don't want to spend alot of money, Walmart sells a 3 piece set for under $20, but if you plan on some serious snorkling, go to a dive shop and have them hook you up. Enjoy!

We snrkeled in Xel Xa last year and had wonderful time. Snorkeling equipment is included in your admission and they give you brand new snorkel that you can take with you as a souvenier. But it just very short, basic tube. If you want to be comfortable or have dry snorkel, you better bring your own. I am not sure about quality of their masks, but I wouldn't put on my face anything that was sterilized in Mexico. We had our own snorkels and masks and rented their fins and vests.

Park there is huge and there is enough room for everybody. We found the best snorkeling on the opposite side of lagoon (from changing rooms and other facilities) When you cross the pontoon bridge, go to your right and there tons of wonderful fishes there. Try to do snorkling in the morning and lazy river in the afternoon, as the water gets more cloudy later in the day.

Let me know if you have more questions

If you have never snorkeled before, you may like Xel-Ha. If you have any experience at all-it sucks. Crowded, shallow lagoon without much to see. Overpriced to get in and overcrowded. Food is expensive and American-not Mexican. Very disappointing--not at all what the brochures make it out to be.

We snorkeled in Xel-Ha last yr and highly recommend the place. Snorkel equipment: Nothing wrong with bringing your own plus you know it is cleaned (hopefully). Or you can rent the snorkel there, mask $7, snorkel $3, life jacket, fin or you can buy all the inclusive ticket that include everything, locker, towels, equipment, food/drink, snacks at any of their 5 restaurants on site, just show them your all inclusive bracelet.

Seeing Fish: Swim in direction of open ocean, toward the drawbridge, staying on the sides near rocks, that's where the fishes are. Plenty of them. Another place to see plenty of fish, swim to where the cenotes are, underwater caves area, a little further from the briges, see lots of them, my hub saw a barracuda. or all else fails, feed them from the bridge, and a feeding frenzy ensues. Don't stay in the middle of Xel-Ha, not many fishes to see, fish like rocks and little shades underneath rocks, you will see them. Water is not cloudy. Certain areas where the water is clearer than other, but overall, you will see clear water everywhere. A great place for a beginning snorkeler.

Don't change your mind, go. It's awesome. There is a floating river also. A beach further up from the bridge we didn't have time for.

Forgot the input on sunscreen. They required you to buy a biodegradeable sunscreen so it won't have any adverse affects on the fish. Buy your own because it is cheaper, otherwise, you can buy when you get there, just go to any stand, one is right outside the giftshop. Brand to buy: Nature's Gate or Kiss Faces. Try Amazom.com or google search.

Crowd: Yes it is crowded so get there early. We got there at 10AM there is already short line for lockers and equipment. We bought all in-clusive ticket at the gate, it include locker, towel, snorkel, mask, fin, lifejacket, eat & snack any restaurant on site. The Mexican restaurants (2) are quite popular.

Place got plenty of chair and palpas(sp?), pick your spot. Watch out for the iguanas, they want your snack !!

We went to Xel-Ha last year as a combination trip with Tulum. We enjoyed both as it was a good way to see the ruins & have time to snorkel in one short day. However, if we were to return to Cozumel on another cruise we would skip Tulum and go right to Xel-Ha! We had a great time. The other posters are right, stay near the rocks and you will see a ton of fish, all sizes and colors. I felt very safe there. The water and the entire area were really clean. We were very impressed. The water may not have been as clear overall as our snorkeling in the Coral Gardens in Grand Cayman - but I did see more fish! After reading about snorkeling on these boards I think that how clear the water is at any location at any time depends a lot on the currents and weather in any one location. Therefore you just can't guarantee the conditions at any time. Go ahead and enjoy yourself! There are a ton of things to do there.:D

If you would like to see our underwater pictures at Xel-Ha you can find them at this link. Go to the first album "Explorer of the Seas" to find the Xel-Ha pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sunnyazgirl

I appreciate everybody's input. I went online and purchased my tickets for Xel-Ha and I am so looking forward to it. I will bring my own mask and snorkel, but will use their fins. I will go online and purchase sunscreen as to not worry about overpaying at Xel-Ha. I will be there 4/23, so, see you there!

Sunny AZ-

What camera were you using to take the pics at stingray alley and the underwater pics at Xel Ha. I am travelling there soon and need good advice for an underwater camera that still takes good pictures on land (and isn't terribly expensive). Thanks!

I appreciate everybody's input. I went online and purchased my tickets for Xel-Ha and I am so looking forward to it. I will bring my own mask and snorkel, but will use their fins. I will go online and purchase sunscreen as to not worry about overpaying at Xel-Ha. I will be there 4/23, so, see you there!

Please come back and post after your trip. You're going to hate Xel-Ha for all the reasons in your original post.

Sunny AZ-

What camera were you using to take the pics at stingray alley and the underwater pics at Xel Ha. I am travelling there soon and need good advice for an underwater camera that still takes good pictures on land (and isn't terribly expensive). Thanks!

I was just using a little FUJI disposable underwater camera. I was pleased with how the pictures came out, since I am only a very novice photographer. Before we left I read on this board that FUJI was the best film for underwater, something about showing the blues better. I don't know if that is true or not, but I was happy with it.

Somehow I think Mulder will have a great time. We did! I find that I enjoy something about every place I visit. It's a vacation! My experiences always rise to my expectations!:D

I was just using a little FUJI disposable underwater camera. I was pleased with how the pictures came out, since I am only a very novice photographer. Before we left I read on this board that FUJI was the best film for underwater, something about showing the blues better. I don't know if that is true or not, but I was happy with it.

Somehow I think Mulder will have a great time. We did! I find that I enjoy something about every place I visit. It's a vacation! My experiences always rise to my expectations!:D

Thanks!!!

Archived