Carnival Panorama

ASR1996

We were on the Panorama a few weeks ago. The time before that we were on her we were pretty late getting back to Long Beach.  It was after 11am when we finally got off.  I was talking to someone at the port as we were waiting to embark on our last cruise and mentioned we had been late getting back on our previous cruise, and was told the ship has engine issues.

We got back on time without any problem at the end of this cruise, but if I were flying home I'd be really cautious about booking an earlier flight.  The Panorama isn't very predictable when it comes to returning home on time.  Fortunately for us we drive so it's never a problem.

As much as I like the Panorama I think replacing her next year with the Firenze will be a good move.

2 hours ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

Checked in for our cruise this morning. SO much easier than back in the day when we had to do everything right at the port before boarding. I remember doing that for our honeymoon and having papers everywhere to scramble through. Then again, I also remember the days where I’d be watching my mailbox like a hawk waiting for my docs to arrive and getting everything - including the luggage tags - and being so excited. Still super excited, but it’s a teeny bit different now. Never been on Carnival before, but we’re going with our three kids this time - they’re all grown now, but not so grown they want to be on Celebrity where it’s far quieter. I think it’s going to be a blast for all of us! 

Much easier, but Carnival isn't as advanced as the rest of industry where literally everything is done and reviewed in advance.  For example, on Princess, if you get your Medallion before the cruise, if you complete the online check-in, you walk onto the ship with the crew quickly glancing at your passport (or equivalent docs).  Carnival re-reviews everything, takes your picture, etc.  Long Beach isn't a purpose built cruise terminal, and at peak arrival time, lines will stretch outside in the brutal SoCal sunshine and you can feel the anxiousness.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlayTheAces said:

We were on the Panorama a few weeks ago. The time before that we were on her we were pretty late getting back to Long Beach.  It was after 11am when we finally got off.  I was talking to someone at the port as we were waiting to embark on our last cruise and mentioned we had been late getting back on our previous cruise, and was told the ship has engine issues.

We got back on time without any problem at the end of this cruise, but if I were flying home I'd be really cautious about booking an earlier flight.  The Panorama isn't very predictable when it comes to returning home on time.  Fortunately for us we drive so it's never a problem.

As much as I like the Panorama I think replacing her next year with the Firenze will be a good move.

In fairness, historical arrival times on the Panorama are fairly consistent and the disembarkation process is slow regardless of the ship.  It's all good -- the vast majority of passengers on ships leaving Long Beach (and LA & SD) are local and those with flights generally won't have any problem leaving the ship early, even with baggage.

I live in South Orange County and can get to/from the port in less than an hour so I'm never in a hurry.  On the Panorama, we can enjoy a nice breakfast or sleep in, leave the room late (9AM) and often grab a meal at Guy's before leaving.  Definitely can't complain.

And the Firenze isn't replacing the Panorama.  Instead of doing straight 7-night PV/Mazatlán/Cabo trips, the Panorama will be doing a mix of those 7-nights plus 8-nights that add La Paz and 6-night Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada.  

The Radiance will no longer be doing 4 day week Catalina/Ensenada and 3 day weekend Ensenada but instead doing a mixture of 4 day Catalina/Ensenada, 5 day Cabo/Cabo and Cabo/Ensenada and (in less frequency) 6 day Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada.  The Firenze will be doing the same itineraries in rotation.  Probably a way to eliminate the 4-day M-F Catalina/Ensenada trips, which have often been the lowest priced trips in the Carnival network since the restart.  Carnival's been offering these for over 40 years, so end of an era.  The Radiance of course will be doing the Hawaii trip as well.

Edited by Itried4498
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, cruisinfamily7609 said:

We are on the Panorama on 6/17. About two days ago we received an email from Carnival letting us know that the ship is experiencing an issue that is “affecting its maximum cruising speed” and the team at Carnival is working on a repair plan. As a result, they adjusted the itinerary for our cruise, now leaving Cabo at 2pm and the return to Long Beach will be at 9:30. This doesn’t just affect our cruise, but will affect all cruises from 6/3 to 7/1. It’s not that big of a time difference, but I am curious to hear if they really are able to get back to LB by 9:30 am on the day of disembarkation. Again, it doesn’t matter for us because we are driving from the central coast and back again, but for others - maybe it will really mess up travel plans.

I'm on the last sailing that is supposed to be effected by this announcement (7/1) and feel really bad for the people who have flights out that they have to worry about 😕 We're driving from about an hour away so we'll be fine, though I worked as a travel agent when one of the Norwegian ships had issues that ended with the ship not having proper power/air conditioning/etc. for an entire week-long cruise so I'm still a bit anxious about whatever's going on with the Panorama...

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, Itried4498 said:

Much easier, but Carnival isn't as advanced as the rest of industry where literally everything is done and reviewed in advance.  For example, on Princess, if you get your Medallion before the cruise, if you complete the online check-in, you walk onto the ship with the crew quickly glancing at your passport (or equivalent docs).  Carnival re-reviews everything, takes your picture, etc.  Long Beach isn't a purpose built cruise terminal, and at peak arrival time, lines will stretch outside in the brutal SoCal sunshine and you can feel the anxiousness.  

I've been cruising a long time. The very first time I cruised was in 1995, and THAT line was long. Everything was done pretty much by hand, including the paperwork that I had to fill out and then present to the staffmember checking us in, who then had to put it in a computer. 

I’ve been to the Long Beach Terminal before, and while no - it’s not a cruise terminal - it is really not any worse than any other terminal I’ve checking in at. I think it’s a matter of just going with the flow and not doing your darnedest to compare with other cruise lines. Just have fun and relax - it’s vacation!! 

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, cruisinfamily7609 said:

About two days ago we received an email from Carnival letting us know that the ship is experiencing an issue that is “affecting its maximum cruising speed” and the team at Carnival is working on a repair plan. As a result, they adjusted the itinerary for our cruise, now leaving Cabo at 2pm and the return to Long Beach will be at 9:30. This doesn’t just affect our cruise, but will affect all cruises from 6/3 to 7/1.

Thank you for posting - we are on Panorama 7/1 and did not receive the email (but that is not uncommon).  I have an great flight out LGB at 10 am (and have easily made that flight in the past) but with this announcement I am going to change it to a later time.  ☹️

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 4:25 PM, Kelownabccan said:

Any tips on where to stay that will not cost "an arm and a leg" the day before the cruise leaves....we fly in the night before from Canada??....probably the wrong forum to as this???

Fellow Canuck here - we've stayed at La Quinta near LAX before, and it was a good choice, with a free hotel shuttle from the airport.  Breakfast was also included.  A taxi to Long Beach or San Pedro will be in the area of $50-65 USD. 

I love Kelowna - been up there several times and have friends who live up there.

Edited by Qextor
  • Like 1

And the Firenze isn't replacing the Panorama.  Instead of doing straight 7-night PV/Mazatlán/Cabo trips, the Panorama will be doing a mix of those 7-nights plus 8-nights that add La Paz and 6-night Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada.....

This post surprised me......I am taking the family on a cruise and booked the Panorama already for April of 2024.....I wonder if this will affect  the cruise we are on.....???....April 13th one....will look up Firenze and see if that ship shows up anywhere as have never seen that name before....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

And the Firenze isn't replacing the Panorama.  Instead of doing straight 7-night PV/Mazatlán/Cabo trips, the Panorama will be doing a mix of those 7-nights plus 8-nights that add La Paz and 6-night Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada.....

This post surprised me......I am taking the family on a cruise and booked the Panorama already for April of 2024.....I wonder if this will affect  the cruise we are on.....???....April 13th one....will look up Firenze and see if that ship shows up anywhere as have never seen that name before....

It shouldn't affect your cruise at all.  This is an additional ship, not a replacement.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TreyB said:

Please don’t take this wrong because I know everyone has different situations to deal with, but I have never understood why folks will fly into the departure port on embarkation day and fly out on debarkation day. With all the time and planning that goes into purchasing a cruise vacation, is the added stress of having to worry that all connections go exactly as planned worth the money it would cost to stay an extra night on the front and back end of a cruise?  We always arrive in the port a day early and make arrangements to stay a night after. So much less stress. Again, I understand people have different situations to deal with but I would never book travel for embarkation/debarkation days. 

I totally understand what you are saying and agree each situation is different.  It's just 2 of us, we travel a lot, and when our vacation is over, I just want to head home.  I prefer to take my chances on an earlier flight home knowing I might have to change our flight last minute (in 27 cruises we haven't had to yet ... knock on wood...) but I'm always prepared for that.

We only fly into a port on the day of the cruise when I can get an early direct flight.  Otherwise we go the day before.  The thought of missing our flight home doesn't stress me near as much as possibly missing the ship.  🙂

Back when we traveled with more family members we were a lot more cautious, but with just the 2 of us we can be flexible and deal with the unexpected easier.  

Since we are on the west coast and the Long Beach port has multiple airport options, I'm pretty laid-back with those travel plans.  Flying form Florida all the way across the country is a different story.

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Firenze starts sailing May 2024

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thanks again....looked up the Firenze....looks like a Costa ship???....with same smoke stack....lol

th?id=OVFT.iVvWGdfh-1wd62mE-xR2YC&pid=News&w=300&h=186&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90

I think the funnel is supposed to show the Italian heritage of the ship, but I feel like they could have done something better...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TreyB said:

Please don’t take this wrong because I know everyone has different situations to deal with, but I have never understood why folks will fly into the departure port on embarkation day and fly out on debarkation day. With all the time and planning that goes into purchasing a cruise vacation, is the added stress of having to worry that all connections go exactly as planned worth the money it would cost to stay an extra night on the front and back end of a cruise?  We always arrive in the port a day early and make arrangements to stay a night after. So much less stress. Again, I understand people have different situations to deal with but I would never book travel for embarkation/debarkation days. 

Because most people have limited time off & limited budgets.

Leaving the night before a cruise may yield a buffer but it is not the insurance policy most people believe it to be.  If your flight is cancelled, regardless of the reason, the airline will book you on the next available flight.  That next available flight may not arrive at your destination in time for you to board the ship.

And I'd bet the percentage of Carnival ships that arrive into port on-time is well into the 90s.  And the percentage that arrive within 2 hours is probably near 100.  I've been on dozens of cruises and only a handful have been late, and all arrived within two hours.  I would never stay overnight at port or schedule a flight that required me to spend 4+ hours at the airport.  Even if I miss a flight one day, I will still have saved hundreds of hours over the years.

• Like 2

We are on the Panorama 6/17 sailing, can't wait!  Just wondering which two nights are the Cruise Elegant evenings?    

Also, we have a flight that leaves on disembarkation day (6/24) at 1:30pm from Long Beach Airport.  I was just wondering if anyone with experience cruising out of Long Beach and the Long Beach Airport could comment on whether that is late enough in the day for our returning flight, or if we should change the flight to later in the day (5:30pm).

Thanks!

1 hour ago, kdgal said:

We are on the Panorama 6/17 sailing, can't wait!  Just wondering which two nights are the Cruise Elegant evenings?    

Also, we have a flight that leaves on disembarkation day (6/24) at 1:30pm from Long Beach Airport.  I was just wondering if anyone with experience cruising out of Long Beach and the Long Beach Airport could comment on whether that is late enough in the day for our returning flight, or if we should change the flight to later in the day (5:30pm).

Thanks!

Elegant nights should be Sunday and Thursday. You will have plenty of time to get to the Long Beach Airport. I believe the all-call for off the ship is 10:30am so even if you're the last people off, you'll get to the airport with plenty of time... Airport is only 20ish minutes away. My DH and I are on the same cruise so we'll see you on Saturday!

On 6/6/2023 at 7:06 AM, TreyB said:

Because you can.  It's simple

7 hours ago, kdgal said:

Thanks!

As long as the ship is on time, you have plenty of time

On 6/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, TreyB said:

While I'm firmly in the 'fly IN the day before your cruise' crowd, I'll bet that north of 90% fly/drive home immediately afterwards unless they take a short cruise and add some land based activity onto the tail end. I think for most it has more to do with the limits of available vacation days.  It's why the lion's share of 7 night itineraries depart on Saturday or Sunday. One of the best parts of being retired is the ability to 'linger' and/or travel when others typically can't/don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

While I'm firmly in the 'fly IN the day before your cruise' crowd, I'll bet that north of 90% fly/drive home immediately afterwards unless they take a short cruise and add some land based activity onto the tail end. I think for most it has more to do with the limits of available vacation days.  It's why the lion's share of 7 night itineraries depart on Saturday or Sunday. One of the best parts of being retired is the ability to 'linger' and/or travel when others typically can't/don't.

It also depends on where you live and where you're cruising from. It takes me about 6.5 hours to drive to Galveston, TX. I drive in the night before and then drive home the same day I disembark. IMO, there is nothing in Galveston I need to stick around for. Now, next summer, when I cruise to Alaska from San Fran, I'll certainly have a few days either pre- or post-cruise to explore the city.

We’ve flown in and out the day of cruising and returning for as long as we’ve cruised. I think we’ve had one cruise where we actually flew in a day early and left a day late and my husband was not the least bit thrilled about doing so (or spending the money to do so), and we haven’t done it since. This time, since we’ve moved out of the LA area, we are driving down the night before our cruise and staying overnight. 

Here’s the thing: everyone is different. Would *I* like to come down early and stay at a nice hotel? Sure. Anything to extend vacation is a-ok with me! My husband though, sees it VERY differently. He doesn’t like missing work, vacation is sort of a “forced” thing for him, and he certainly isn’t going to take off more time just to get somewhere early and stay in a hotel overnight, particularly because doing so costs extra. Even if we have the budget to do so (we do), he isn’t one to spend on things like family vacations. Cruising isn’t a past-time for us, it is a treat! We did a lot of red-eye flights to get to the east coast early and onto a ship. I realize many of you may think that’s nuts. I’d agree. But, when it’s the only choice you have between cruising and not cruising (and certainly not multiple times in a year)...you do what you can. 

So many people who post here on Cruise Critic are just incredibly privileged individuals and don’t even see it; which is just...well...it’s actually pretty embarrassing to see the lack of self awareness. Even back when Cruise Critic was just a forum board on AOL, people acted as though it was perfectly normal to have thirty cruises in the bag, with another twenty or in planning. It is as though no one realizes that most people don’t take ten cruises a year or something. HELLOOOOO....The rest of the country, much less the whole world, is not necessarily wealthy.

Not everybody can even cruise once, much less cruise in a suite, or be platinum/diamond/etc members on any line, or even cruise more than once every few years. It doesn’t make them heathens, or even people you might not want to know. It makes them the majority, to be brutally honest. If you have the type of lifestyle that affords you such things, take more time to count yourself lucky, and less time to judge everyone else for what they aren’t able. Asking questions about why someone wouldn’t go early and stay over is like asking why someone wouldn’t sail in a balcony cabin every single time they cruise. Not everyone has the same opportunity or budget. I don’t fault those who can, but I feel like I have to sometimes beg forgiveness because we couldn’t, and still don’t. I feel lucky to just be able to get on a ship again, regardless of whether I am flying in last minute or - as the case will be this time - driving in the night before. Maybe that’s just me.

Edited by cruisinfamily7609
  • Like 10