Insurance Companies with 7 day Stability or no Stability comments?

jeda4137

As we age out of country medical or trip cancellation /interuption seems harder to obtain.  Most have aminimum of 90 day  sometimes 6 months or even longer depending on ones health. Depending on Medication sometimes necessary to go for blood work every 30 or 90 days - so long term planing is very diffcult. Buying insurance for the whole year does not change anything as one always has to alert company of any changes even when paid up for the year. Then they will usually exculde that condition from coverage. Had that happen to friends and would not let them cancel or honour trip cancellation part, due to reason  of no proper or full  coverage would  be in effect. They made the hard choice to travel without full coverage as did not want to lose fare or the trip. Their policy was in effect for the year - Sept to end of August. 

Anyways the question is has anyone used that kind of policy and maybe had to make a claim for condition that was part of the issue - that only 7 day coverage would be available?  If so how did your premiums compare to just buying regular insurance with maybe at least 90 stability? 

Trust first hand experiences before Insurance co sales person. 

1 hour ago, jeda4137 said:

As we age out of country medical or trip cancellation /interuption seems harder to obtain.  Most have aminimum of 90 day  sometimes 6 months or even longer depending on ones health. Depending on Medication sometimes necessary to go for blood work every 30 or 90 days - so long term planing is very diffcult. Buying insurance for the whole year does not change anything as one always has to alert company of any changes even when paid up for the year. Then they will usually exculde that condition from coverage. Had that happen to friends and would not let them cancel or honour trip cancellation part, due to reason  of no proper or full  coverage would  be in effect. They made the hard choice to travel without full coverage as did not want to lose fare or the trip. Their policy was in effect for the year - Sept to end of August. 

Anyways the question is has anyone used that kind of policy and maybe had to make a claim for condition that was part of the issue - that only 7 day coverage would be available?  If so how did your premiums compare to just buying regular insurance with maybe at least 90 stability? 

Trust first hand experiences before Insurance co sales person. 

I didn't make a claim so I can't comment on that side of things. I needed additional insurance before I went to Africa last summer, because my post-retirement coverage has a 90 day stability period, and I wasn't. I got a quote from TuGo, which seemed fairly expensive, but then I asked for a quote on the annual plan (which I read about in the documents that I was sent) and it was barely more than just the trip itself. Since I had another European trip planned for the fall, and a trip to the US southwest in the winter (ultimately cancelled but replaced with another US trip in April) and the annual plan covers the US (which costs extra on a single trip plan) it made a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I didn't make a claim so I can't comment on that side of things. I needed additional insurance before I went to Africa last summer, because my post-retirement coverage has a 90 day stability period, and I wasn't. I got a quote from TuGo, which seemed fairly expensive, but then I asked for a quote on the annual plan (which I read about in the documents that I was sent) and it was barely more than just the trip itself. Since I had another European trip planned for the fall, and a trip to the US southwest in the winter (ultimately cancelled but replaced with another US trip in April) and the annual plan covers the US (which costs extra on a single trip plan) it made a lot of sense to me.

My concern is needing stability period when meds can change- there fore was wondering if 7 day stability would be better.  Don t want to pay for a whole year and then unable to travel because not enough stability time. If all is stable for at least 90 days and preferabley the whole year then annaul plans make sense. 

1 hour ago, jeda4137 said:

My concern is needing stability period when meds can change- there fore was wondering if 7 day stability would be better.  Don t want to pay for a whole year and then unable to travel because not enough stability time. If all is stable for at least 90 days and preferabley the whole year then annaul plans make sense. 

Sorry, I meant to say that TuGo gave me a 7 day stability rider and a year’s coverage. 

Edited by gnome12

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Sorry, I meant to say that TuGo gave me a 7 day stability rider and a year’s coverage. 

Checked  out  Tugo and the one I looked at would only cover $150,000 if it was the issue they  were covering with the 7 day stability. Everything else would still have the regular coverage.  Maybe I missed something - but I would not be comfortable with such low coverage.

Thanks anyways for the suggestion. 

Great site to ask questions. 

25 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

Checked  out  Tugo and the one I looked at would only cover $150,000 if it was the issue they  were covering with the 7 day stability.

That's not what my endorsement page says. Here it is (my apologies for the layout; I did a copy and past from a long document):

Unstable Pre-existing Medical Condition Coverage
This Optional Coverage can be purchased as an endorsement to an Emergency
Medical Insurance Worldwide or Worldwide Excluding USA plan.
Benefits
Maximum limit − Up to the Policy limit
This coverage does not increase the maximum limits of the Emergency Medical Insurance
plan stated in the Policy.
When this Optional Coverage is purchased, we will pay for the reasonable and customary
charges for medical and related expenses up to the coverage limit for an acute, sudden
and unexpected emergency medical condition incurred as a result of your pre-existing
medical conditions that were not stable and existed on or before the date of departure.
The charges must result from an emergency that first occurs after coverage commences
(including after any applicable waiting period) and while you are travelling outside your
province/territory of residence.
Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions specified in the section entitled
Emergency Medical Insurance, except for the wording under the sub-heading Pre-existing
Medical Condition Stability Exclusion and is also subject to the exclusion described below.
Exclusion
In addition to the Emergency Medical Insurance exclusions and to the General Exclusions
shown on page 47, we will not be liable to provide coverage or services, or to pay claims
for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
Any medical condition which is not stable on or within the 7 days before the date
of departure.

13 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

That's not what my endorsement page says. Here it is (my apologies for the layout; I did a copy and past from a long document):

Unstable Pre-existing Medical Condition Coverage
This Optional Coverage can be purchased as an endorsement to an Emergency
Medical Insurance Worldwide or Worldwide Excluding USA plan.
Benefits
Maximum limit − Up to the Policy limit
This coverage does not increase the maximum limits of the Emergency Medical Insurance
plan stated in the Policy.
When this Optional Coverage is purchased, we will pay for the reasonable and customary
charges for medical and related expenses up to the coverage limit for an acute, sudden
and unexpected emergency medical condition incurred as a result of your pre-existing
medical conditions that were not stable and existed on or before the date of departure.
The charges must result from an emergency that first occurs after coverage commences
(including after any applicable waiting period) and while you are travelling outside your
province/territory of residence.
Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions specified in the section entitled
Emergency Medical Insurance, except for the wording under the sub-heading Pre-existing
Medical Condition Stability Exclusion and is also subject to the exclusion described below.
Exclusion
In addition to the Emergency Medical Insurance exclusions and to the General Exclusions
shown on page 47, we will not be liable to provide coverage or services, or to pay claims
for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
Any medical condition which is not stable on or within the 7 days before the date
of departure.

Thanks again !  somewhat different from what I saw , but still nervous when readfing  some of the wording above.  The part of ": except for the wording under sub-heading Pre-Existing Medical condtion Stability exclusion" seems kind of grey to me.   I am just too suspicious I guess after reading about the $150,000.  I guess it would be best  to have a conversation with some of these Companies to have more explanation. 

Thanks again - Much appreciated ! 

20 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

The part of ": except for the wording under sub-heading Pre-Existing Medical condtion Stability exclusion" seems kind of grey to me. 

The only exclusion is a condition that was not stable for 7 days before departure. 

I didn’t do this online; I went through an insurance broker who specializes in travel medical. He sent me the policy wording for me to read with the quote. (That’s how I learned about the annual plan and got a quote for that too.) There were a few medical questions; it is possible that if your answers are different than mine that the coverage would be different. 

13 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The only exclusion is a condition that was not stable for 7 days before departure. 

I didn’t do this online; I went through an insurance broker who specializes in travel medical. He sent me the policy wording for me to read with the quote. (That’s how I learned about the annual plan and got a quote for that too.) There were a few medical questions; it is possible that if your answers are different than mine that the coverage would be different. 

I agree dojng 

13 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I agree doing this in person is the best way to handle any concerns.  Always like to poke around first online . Gives me ideas to address concerns.

Thnaks again.