Shipboard Credits and MVJ

JerryInIL

Tips:  Read the footnotes in your guest statement for explanation and clarification.

I have had various kinds.

1. SBC Vouchers: “Will be applied to Onboard items such as: Shore Excursions, Beverage packages and Pre Paid Gratuities.”

These appear in MVJ, and can be used (e.g., for shore excursions) before I board the ship. Any leftover amounts will be converted to nonrefundable shipboard credits for use onboard.

2. Shipboard Credit “(Spa, Shops, Laundry)”

These appear in my ship board account as nonrefundable credits after I board the ship. I can use them to pay expenses while onboard including excursions.

3. Credits given by my travel agent:  These appear in MVJ, and if unused before embarkation, are converted to refundable onboard credits after embarkation.  Any leftovers will be refunded to me (my credit card on file) on last day of cruise.

All expenses are applied to nonrefundable credits first, and refundable portion is deducted last.

What does your guest statement say?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerryInIL said:

Are Shipboard credits supposed to show up on MVJ?

They should be on there but not in an obvious place.

From the menu, select "Payments and Cart"

On the Payments and Cart page there are two tabs and it will open with "Cart" selected. If you click on the "Payment Method" tab, the details of your OBC should pop up.

Hope that works for you 😁

Edited by photopro2
Typo

We have TA credits which come off the cost of the cruise on the Guest Statement.

We also have TA OBC (on board credit) which does not appear until on board ship.

Viking Vouchers must be used to pay for cruise, excursions, SSBP before cruise begins.

Viking OBC can be used for excursions before cruise and if not used beforehand can be used once on board.

Like Dreamercruise, my TA's OBC show up before boarding and can be used to book excursions.  Given TanyaLorna's answer, this obviously varies with the TA.  If you don't see it on MVJ, then ask your TA.

Thank you for all the responses.  Upon further review, here is what Viking sent me when they gave us shipboard credits due to a change in the itinerary.

We hope you will find this change acceptable, and as a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we are providing you with a shipboard credit of $250 per guest—which can be applied toward optional shore excursions, spa services, Silver Spirits Beverage Package or any other onboard purchases.”

I will have to call to make sure I can use the shipboard credits for excursions as they are not showing up in MVJ payments.

15 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

I will have to call to make sure I can use the shipboard credits for excursions as they are not showing up in MVJ payments.

I agree it would be a good idea to call and check why the credit is not showing for you on MVJ.

Here is what the payments & cart page looks like currently for me on MVJ when I click the payments method tab - I have not included the actual credit details but they are listed immediately below this part when I look at the page

The amount per passenger is clearly indicated and also if it relates to a voucher which must be used before the sailing or is shipboard credit which can either be used in advance of the sailing, or once onboard.

Hope that helps.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 12.15.40.png

17 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

Thank you for all the responses.  Upon further review, here is what Viking sent me when they gave us shipboard credits due to a change in the itinerary.

We hope you will find this change acceptable, and as a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we are providing you with a shipboard credit of $250 per guest—which can be applied toward optional shore excursions, spa services, Silver Spirits Beverage Package or any other onboard purchases.”

You can also try requesting an invoice (through your account on MVJ) and see if it is included there.  If not—call—or email tellus@vikingcruises.com with your booking number and phone number.

Edited by LindaS272

Just to follow up, the shipboard credits are not available until embarkation, so we can’t use them for excursion booking.  Probably won’t matter since the $500 credit will go to prepaid tips.