Art Auction

bdwc

Get there for the preview - if you see something you like, ask the auctioneer for the opening bid. Also, make sure you get a raffle ticket - I won a free print at the 2nd auction.

There's no negotiation on the opening bid, so if it's too high for you, you're just out of luck.

On our last trip, I noticed that the same artists' pieces kept coming up for bid. I don't know if that holds true with other auctioneers, but if you don't request anything to bid on, you may see the same artists throughout the week.

Also, very few pieces start at the 85% they advertise in the "up to 85% off". Those that do are usually prints. Most start at 40-60% below the appraisal value, and very few pieces started below $100.

'Till the Grand Princess 12/4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Holiday 12/00 - Baja

Elation 05/02 - Mexican Riviera

Elation 05/04 - W. Carribbean

Grand Princess 12/04 - W. Carribbean

See my pictures!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, very few pieces start at the 85% they advertise in the "up to 85% off". Those that do are usually prints. Most start at 40-60% below the appraisal value, and very few pieces started below $100.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must vary from ship to ship, as on the Pride a few weeks ago, I would say 40 to 50% of the pieces that came up were below $100. The most common sub-100 price was about $80 - we got two pieces at that price (one at $80, one at $85).

I do agree that there tends to be an artist "trend" at the auctions. At ours I saw a lot of Tarkay's come up, as well as Peter Max pieces.

Best advice - don't be shy! Ask lots of questions, and do take advantage of the 1 hour preview before. You can spend time with the auctioneer discussing the pieces or the process itself, and two out of the four events, there's usually free champagne! icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun! We sure did, and we'll definitely go again.

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Visit our Webshots Gallery

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bdwc:

Anyone ever got a good deal or willing to sharw some tips?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BDWC,

Though I bought several pieces on our cruise last month, I wasn't really sure we were getting good prices. I bought what I did because I just really liked them. When we got home, I started doing research on the artists that we bought. I don't know if it is a good indicator, but I have seen several of the artists we bought and even some of the same pieces, being bid on on Ebay for much more than what I paid.

Yolanda

Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;05;09;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

15_4_109.gif

We bought 5 pieces on our first cruise, and they shipped them to us about a week after the cruise. I think we got some good deals - the Dali I purchased is selling for about 5 times what I paid, and one of the other artists died after we purchased the pieces, which caused their worth to go up.

We stayed away from the auctions the last two cruises but might check them out again on the Conquest in October.

Celebration 5-98

Holiday 9-03

Conquest 10-03

Counting Down to Conquest!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;03;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Then On To The Sensation...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;1;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I've never bought any art on board; however, I do like to go 'browse', much like in an art museum. Besides seeing the works, I also enjoy the respite from crowds, sipping the complimentary champagne, AND getting the 'free' small art print. (I now have four such pieces hanging in my hallway.) icon_wink.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is it difficult to take the art home with you safely?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, most artwork you purchase on board is shipped to you about 4 to 6 weeks later from Park West's warehouse in Michigan. There are exceptions to this, of course.

There are CPs (Collectors Portfolio), which include the frame in the price. These can either be taken off the ship as is, or you can pay the shipping costs and they will send the piece to you in a new frame.

And then there are TOs (Take Offs). These are usually sold-out lots or something similar and must be taken off the ship as is.

I believe they will wrap the items you take with in kraft paper, but it is up to you to carry this art off the ship safely.

Also - and this is in regards to customs - take off artwork must be declared on your customs form, but items that will be shipped to you in the U.S. do not (as the purchase is considered made at the shipping point, which is in Michigan.)

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Mark ºoº

We went to the auction on our last cruise. I don't think anyone bought anything during the auction but several people bought items afterward by talking to the auctioneer and making an offer. He would check his paperwork and tell them the lowest he could take. I believe he had all the items on display on two different days, though the auction was only held once. I came close to buying a couple by the same artist, but decided against it.

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

Actually, Park West does not run the auctions on many of Carnival's ships any more. Due to their purchase of Princess, Carnival now has their own art company which is taking over ship by ship as the Park West contracts expire.

Although some artists are the same as Park West, I thought that many were imitations of some of the more popular Park West artists like Tarqay and Fanch. Two other differences were that shipping was $10 per item and the fact that Carnival will buy anything back within a year if you are not happy. In addition, the buyer's premium was 10% which is lower than Park West.

Dale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenster:

We went to the auction on our last cruise. I don't think anyone bought anything during the auction but several people bought items afterward by talking to the auctioneer and making an offer. He would check his paperwork and tell them the lowest he could take. I believe he had all the items on display on two different days, though the auction was only held once. I came close to buying a couple by the same artist, but decided against it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On our sailing, you could certainly do this, but you paid a 20% "premium" on the reserve bid since no one else was bidding against you. This is in addition to the 10% buyer's premium.

If you see something you like, ask that it come up for bidding! Pieces will only come up once per sailing. It's always for sale if it doesn't come up for bidding, but you'll have to pay the extra 20%, whether it came up for auction or not.

My free raffle print came from the Princess Fine Arts Gallery, and not Park West, so I guess that means the Elation's been "converted".

The highlight of my first art auction experience was watching a guy bid $45,000 on a Nechita original. This is in addition to the other $2-3,000 he spent on several other pieces. "Andre the Art Auctioneer" was in a very good mood during the second auction!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Holiday 12/00 - Baja

See my pictures!

I just got back from the 5/23 Miracle sailing. There were a bunch of VIP guests from Park West along w/several people (other than Stoney the auctioneer) from Park West their to take care of the VIPs. Most of the art that came up for bidding were the likes of Dali, Rembrandt, Max, Chagall, Renoir, etc. There were people that easily spent $100K a piece that week. In fact, one woman paid $359K for a Rembrandt or a Renoir (can't remember which)...that was in addition to the many, many other pieces she purchased. Talk about exciting...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

5/23 Miracle Cruise

icon_eek.gifI love art, BUT - seriously, THAT much money for a print bought on a cruise ship? Hard to believe. icon_rolleyes.gif (I'm not saying it's not done; I'm just bewildered.)

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisabk:

I just got back from the 5/23 Miracle sailing. There were a bunch of VIP guests from Park West along w/several people (other than Stoney the auctioneer) from Park West their to take care of the VIPs. Most of the art that came up for bidding were the likes of Dali, Rembrandt, Max, Chagall, Renoir, etc. There were people that easily spent $100K a piece that week. In fact, one woman paid $359K for a Rembrandt or a Renoir (can't remember which)...that was in addition to the many, many other pieces she purchased. Talk about exciting...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were they originals? I can't fathom spending that much on a print, but if they're originals, it sounds like they got a pretty good deal, considering those artists' pieces are usually valued in the millions.

Holiday 12/00 - Baja

See my pictures!

I have seen both originals and prints on several cruises from ParkWest. We bought our first print 6 years ago and have added 6 additional ones by the same artist to our collection. We are hooked on Alexander Chen art. He does alot of "town" art. They are usually very reasonable. I think our first one cost us $65.00 and we have paid up to about $140.00 for others. They are affordable and very beautiful. If you like city scapes. Check out www.alexanderchen.com and look at some of the art work.

I also love getting animation cels on cruises. Both our kids have several but I am still waiting for the one I want "EEYORE" to come on one of our cruises. I know I can go to Disney and get them, but this is more of a challenge to find one on a cruise!

Sensation 9/98 10th anniv.

Big Red Boat 5/99

Ecstasy 10/00

Destiny 9/01 The week of 911

Victory 10/01

Imagination 12/20/01

Imagination 2/4/02

Zuiderdam 9/6/03 - 15th anniv.

Carnival Legend 11/27/04

Happiness is being on a cruise

with the one you love!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend Here We Come 11/27

I've bought several pieces of animation over the years through art auctions from Park West on board different ships. I have not bought recently because prices are so high now for original cels, and that's all I'll buy.

Here are a few tips -- if you like it, set a price and try not to go over that. If you're looking for something in particular, like an original animation cel, make sure you know what you're looking at. Ask questions. It could be a seri-cel. The price will go up or down, depending on whether it's an original or not and whether the background, if there is one, is also hand-painted or a fax background.

Also, if you buy pieces at more than one auction on the same sailing, and you have a total of five or fewer to be shipped to you, DON'T pay the shipping twice. They used to ship up to five pieces for one price. Be sure to have that adjustment made to your account.

Host Miriam

Community Supervisor

ldrscruisemir7@aol.com

<font face='Comic Sans MS' color=6B8E23><font size="2">

<marquee width=50%>Until Mariner Reali-tini Cruise</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=6B8E23&cdt=2005;10;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

CLICK HERE for the ROLL CALL

<center>realitini1.jpg

realitini2.gif

realitini3.gif</CENTER>

<font size="1">

Cotton,

They mentioned that because this was an "Art Connesseur (sp?)" cruise and they had all these VIPs, they had flown in a lot of the original classics from their land gallery. They kept saying the ship was like a museum this week. What the lady bought was an original. I was shocked at the many Dali originals they showed that week. It was very interesting, but way above my pocketbook.

I fell in love with Krasnyanski on my first cruise, and I ended up w/3 of his on this trip. One of them was a "mystery" work where they only show you the back of the piece and give you no details about what they're selling--no artist, nothing. They then said if you bid on it and won and didn't like it, you weren't obligated to buy it. This particular one ended up being a 2 for 1. The very last mystery bid ended up being a collection of 6 Peter Max's that went for $21K...unfortunately, I couldn't afford it!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

5/23 Miracle Cruise

I'm sorry folks, but I've been biting my tongue for a couple of days. Sorry, if I take you out of the clouds (which the auctioneers so successfully created), but

An ORIGINAL Rembrandt, Chagall or Renoir would never sell for the PALTRY sum of 359K !

And a PRINT of a Rembrandt, Chagall or Renoir is only worth the cost of the materials plus $8 or $9 and hour for the "technician" that did the silk screening plus a reasonable profit for the company turning them out (usually by the thousands).

Saying a piece of art that sells at auction for $50 is somehow WORTH $500 is a contradiction in terms. A piece of art is ONLY WORTH WHAT AT LEAST ONE PERSON IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.

If you paid $100 for a serigraph and like it and it gives you joy, fine. Just don't look upon it as an investment.

For some interesting comments concerning art auctions on cruise ships, check the link below.

http://www.sealetter.com/surveys/artres.html

I loved, "When a man with experience meets a man with money, the man with experience gets the money and the man with money gets the experience".(My Grandmother had a shorter version) icon_smile.gif

Hate to rain on anyone's parade. I'm already regretting it. icon_frown.gif Flaming me would be useless, but go ahead. icon_smile.gif

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

I went to my first art auction on a cruise. I just sailed the Pride on 5/30/04. Guess what? I fell asleep! icon_biggrin.gif It was a great place to catch a nap icon_smile.gif But, honestly, it had a lot to do with the fact that I got very little sleep the night before.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;28;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruise with Mom- Early 80th birthday celebration!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;06;10;15;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Since we sailed on the Pride in aft cabin 4228!

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Ecstasy 09/13/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aggieastrosfan:

Get there for the preview - if you see something you like, ask the auctioneer for the opening bid. Also, make sure you get a raffle ticket - I won a free print at the 2nd auction.

There's no negotiation on the opening bid, so if it's too high for you, you're just out of luck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful with this. I saw a piece that I liked, and the auctioneer kept reminding people to get the opening bid; know the value, etc. They don't want to waste a lot of time showing pieces that aren't going to sell because they're priced to high. So, like a good doobee, I inquired about the piece I was interested in. "I could probably start that one around $80.00", I was told. So I thought, okay, they'll start at $80., no-one will bid, then he'll ask if he has any offers, and I'll jump in with $50., get my print, and be a happy girl.

So, up comes my print for bid, and the auctioneer says, "I can't start below $80., I've had an offer of $80.00"! Frankly, I felt duped. I made an inquiry, not an offer, but they made it sound like it was already sold, unless someone bid higher! I ended up buying it; it was a TO, so I didn't have to pay for shipping, but I still think it was kind of underhanded the way they manipulated the opening bid. Now I know, and next time when they say they could probably start at a certain amount, I'll be more aggressive about naming my own price.

On a positive note, the print looks great in my daughter's room!

DH and I had fun at the art auctions and we did buy some of the art - because we liked it, not because it would be a later investment. As it is still a print that will not gain (significant) value over time.

We set a budget, into which we figured the on board cost of champagne, and enjoyed bidding. As I burn easily it was a fun way to spend a few hours on sea days and I learned a bit about the art world.

We also got three free large prints (won one in a raffle and the other two for opening a credit account) and the small ones that you get for registering. Plus, the three that we purchased.

My only word of caution, is don't forget the cost of framing. We framed two of the large prints that we won, plus those that we paid for. While I love my artwork, all the framing did add up to be quite costly. And you will want it framed - as art in a tube is very unrewarding.

Ally

Imagination....July 29, 2004

Brilliance of the Seas....June 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My only word of caution, is don't forget the cost of framing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice, Ally. icon_smile.gif

Hee's some FYI details (you know me...)

We just received our 4 prints yesterday. They came via UPS Ground in a HUGE "crush proof" tube. Popping off the plastic end-cap, we found a wad of tissue paper, and then a large roll of our prints. We carefully extracted this white roll, and lay it on a smooth, CLEAN surface. (Make sure to wash and thoroughly dry your hands before doing this, or wear clean, lint-free gloves.)

Remaining in the tube at the far end was another wad of tissue paper, and a envelope containing several documents from Park West. This included our 4 Certificates of Authenticity, and thank you note from Park West, and a note regarding proper matting and framing of the prints (highly recommending archival mounting and rag-based backing boards.) There was also 4 labels that had our sailing date and ship name, our name, and info on each print. These can be attached to the back of your finished framed print, or just carefully tape it back there to avoid ruining the label or backing.

The roll of art was surrounded by what appeared to be white butcher paper, for lack of a better term, but it wasn't coated or anything. There was an adhesive Park West label on the wrapping keeping it all closed.

Upon removing the label, it all unrolled to show our 4 prints. Each print was separated by tissue paper on top and between the prints. They arrived in terrific shape and wrapped back up into the tube with no problems.

A couple of observations and tips:

If you can, take a picture of your print while on the ship. Bring your camera to the auction. You can then ask to see what you purchased after the auction is over, and snap a picture of it.

I found this very helpful for a few reasons. First, it helped remind me of what we bought and kept our excitement level up about receiving them. In our case, two of the prints were pretty common (the Del Signore and Schaeffer/Miles free ones), so finding copies of them on the Internet was pretty easy. However finding info about Jim Collins was next to impossible, and I couldn't find an image of either print out there anywhere.

(As an aside, if anyone has more info about Jim Collins, the painter of wildlife art, please contact me directly. I would be very interested in learning more about him and his artwork. Or perhaps talk with the artist himself, if that is even possible. End aside.)

The other way the photos came in helpful is we can see exactly how the auction house matted and framed them. While this isn't the end-all-be-all for how to frame them, it's not a bad guide. Obviously something about the presentation must have appealed to you if you purchased it, right? At least you can use it as a starting point for matte colors/type and frame color/material.

Don't be afraid to corner the auctioneer and ask questions about a print you're interested in. All four of our prints are seriolithographs, and as such are not hugely valuable (well, they are to us, and that's really the key, isn't it?) The two "free" raffle prints are not limited editions and are signed in the plate, which means the artist signed the plate that was used to make the print, not the print you have itself. However, our two Collins' are limited editions, numbered and hand-signed by the artist. This adds some value and looks really cool! icon_smile.gif

Don't be in a hurry to frame your prints. They will store safely in your tube (just keep them in a dry place.) As Ally mentioned, framing can be expensive. Do your homework and get several different quotes from local framing companies. And keep your eyes open for sales at places like Michaels (Thanks Darlene for these tips! We'll be frame-hunting this weekend!)

We're new to this, but that's what we've learned so far. Hope that info might help others. And just remember: if you're looking for investments, then buying art on a cruise might not be such a good idea. But if you look at it as a fun activity that just might net you a very pretty piece of art, then it can be a blast! We just used the money we were going to spend in the casino...and most likely got a better return on our investment anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Mark ºoº

[This message was edited by marklodi on 06-08-04 at 05:57 PM.]

Oh one last thing: don't forget about the lighting of your artwork!

The reason I mentioned this was because of the second Jim Collins print we bought on board. After having purchased the first one the first night, we kept an eye out for more of his work. We didn't see any more until the final day. We looked at two pieces, and didn't really care for how they looked. We sighed and figured we were good with just that one.

Then one of the prints came up. When they sat it up on that easel, with those lights on it, the picture really came to life. Mona and I both looked at each other, and when we heard the low price, we both reached for our bid card.

We discussed later what had changed our minds. It was the same print we looked at earlier...sitting on a chair...under normal lights....aha! Yes, it was the lighting they used. And it makes a big difference, so please keep this in mind at home. Yes, it will be another expense, but one you should really consider. icon_smile.gif

Mark ºoº

Archived