Art Auction

bdwc

all I can say it the auction went well on our ship..I never seen so many sold art pieces..they must have had some great deals going on!! I know some said 85%off on them and others 50% and so on. Go to preview and check them out!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Gary,

I'm only quoting what was said in the auction about the original for $359K...of course, the auctioneer said it was appraised for way more than that. I've been to the art auctions on 6 or 7 different cruises, and I've never seen these types of art pieces or costs. It was definitely a VIP group that obviously did a lot of business with Park West--the Park West personnel that were on the ship literally handheld these people at every auction. So, who knows...maybe the auctioneer wasn't telling the truth...I'm not enough of an art person to be able to tell if they were originals or not. At any rate, it was pretty wild to see folks spend so much money at these auctions.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

5/23 Miracle Cruise

Hi Mark,

Darlene told me that she received an email from you and that you received your art. Its fun open that tube and pulling out the art work(s) that you purchased. Dont they look different than the way they looked while they sat up on the easel and under the spot lights.

I have been to six different art actions on cruise ships. The way it is held and the prices have differed depending on the actioneer. They do not sell prints but seriolithographs, lithographs, oils and other mediums. Some are hand signed and numbered and are some are block signed. The type of medium used is up to the artist. Some are one of kind like the oils and some like the freebies that they give away at the end are not signed and they probably give away 100,000 or more but that is only a guess. There is more info that can be useful but someone more experienced with art can give you info on the art actions and the art.

I have seen some of the same type of art forms that we bought by the same artist and the land prices are much higher than we paid for them. In our case the artist was Tarkay that we have seen in art galleries and the prices have been at least double. Even art by Tarkay has gone up on the cruise ships. But we did not buy the works as an investment but only because we liked the piece of art.

Larry

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Repositioning cruise thru the canal on RCCL Radiance 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2005;04;09;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Constellation 4/9/05

I have bought many pieces at Park West, both on land and on sea.

I just sold 2 of the Park West pieces on ebay for $2000 and $2100 respectively and made a profit on each.

John

As my husband said (that would be Larry), the works are not prints, they are of several different mediums but not prints like you would buy in a regular store. If you are really knowledgeable about art, my hat is off to you. We buy what we like. Most of our pieces are signed and numbered. We have received several pieces from Park West that were marked HC, AP, EC which are all artist proofs. The luck of the draw, I guess. The more expensive pieces we frame through a private framer, the lesser expensive pieces go to Michaels. Michaels has always done a great job for us. The private framer has more to chose from so that is why we use him. Some of the autioneers are very expensive whereas others almost give it away. On the Pride, we took off two pieces and they shipped us 7. Believe me, he had the best prices of artwork we had seen on any ship we sailed...all signed and numbered - most were seriographs. If Park West is being taken over, I guess our buying time is finished. WE have just about run out of wall space but we have always had fun at the auctions. We have Tarkay's, Alexander and Wissotszky, Bellet,Cambier, Cambour, Del Signore, Guttman, Kraasnyansky, LeKinff, Schluss and Barbara Wood. We have all 4 (doubles and triples) of the little ones they give out plus all 4 of the set they gave out before these little seriolithographs. It has been fun collecting them and we frame them and have given them to our children...

So...if you like doing something, it sure beats not doing anything at all. Look at all the money I didn't spend on jewelry and did on art. My home looks great...

Darlene

Sensation 4/2001

Victory 12/2001

Spirit 12/10/2002

Zuiderdam 5/7/2003

Legend 12/7/2003

Pride 5/9/2004

Royal Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas - 10/24/04

Celebrity Constellation - 4/9/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

West to East thru the Canal on the Radiance ots

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;04;09;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Visiting the Southern Carib on the Constellation

okay, you art lovers can blast me, but I don't get it. Why go on a cruise to buy art? But then again, small towns in Alaska with populations smaller than the cruise ships' seem to have about 15 or so jewelry stores. And last I checked, jewelry was not a major trade in Alaska since the gold rush fizzled. Oh well, this is what Americans do. travel the world and the first and primary activity is to buy STUFF.

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

We always enjoy the art auctions and have bought a few pieces and won some. My husband makes the frames so we don't have that added expense and everything we have bought was less than $200 per piece.

One thing to look for if comparing prices is what medium is the art on. Most of the items are on a type of paper as opposed to canvas.

So what did the person who paid $359k for a Rembrandt get? Let me go out on a limb here ... an original Rembrandt.

If you go to Sotheby's website, you'll find a few Rembrandt etchings estimated at $5K - $7.5K (some more and some even less). Not all Rembrandts go in the millions. I saw a Rembrandt etching sell for $17k last year on the Zuiderdam.

I've bought at an auction and after the auction. If you're buying enough, there's room for negotiation on the opening bids on their finer pieces. I wouldn't buy any investment pieces during the auction, but I've bought some Kraz's and a Lucelle Raad during auctions. Yes, the Kraznyansky's will probably increase in value, but if they turn out to be saavy investments, I will be happily surprised. We bought them because we love his art.

Gael

Norway 1994

Norway 7/00

Grand Princess 7/01

NCL Sun 7/02

Zuiderdam 9/03

Elation 11/04

You people sound like art scholars so don't laugh at me when I ask this question. Do the cruise ships sell Thomas Kinkaid art? If so, would it be cheaper there than at his galleries. We are on the Caribbean Princess in September and although we've been on 8 cruies, we have never attended an art auction. I think it's time we started.

Thank you.

Kellyann

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kellyann:

You people sound like art scholars so don't laugh at me when I ask this question. Do the cruise ships sell Thomas Kinkaid art? If so, would it be cheaper there than at his galleries. We are on the Caribbean Princess in September and although we've been on 8 cruies, we have never attended an art auction. I think it's time we started.

Thank you.

Kellyann<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kellyann, the friend we cruised with has purchased about eight Kinkaids while on various cruises. On this last cruise, he bought two. He says he has seen the very same pieces elsewhere for twice as much as he pays on a cruise.

Yolanda

15_4_109.gif

Kellyann,

Last year on the paradise there were several kincaids.. one of the mystery pieces was a kincaid... and boy did I kick myself..

they had some great pieces.. good luck

Nanc

littleangel.gif

Oceanic 9/86

Fantasy 5/97

Paradise 9/28/03

Carnival Valor 2/20/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;2;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Miracle in April and bought 2 prints from the art auction. We had previously bought 3 prints from Park West last May on NCL. (no problems) My husband decided to have them frame both pictures. We received one and then our credit card bill for 1077.00. When I called about the other print (total over $600.00 with the frame), the customer service representative informed me that they ran out of the print and was suppose to send me a catolog with options to replace the print. I tried to get him to take the charge off of my account, but he insisted that he would send a catalog out with options first. I was not too happy! And he commented that it happens all the time. So, I guess I am somewhat turned off by art auctions on cruise ships now. However, the prints we have received in the past arrived in perfect condition.

Do the cruise ships sell Thomas Kinkaid art?

We were on one cruise where the auctioneer had some Kincaids, but he said he would not sell them at auction. He said they were originals, but they were made in lots of around 1000 instead of 250 like most of the other artists did. He did say that if anyone really wanted one, he would talk to them after the auction.

On a different cruise the auctioneer had a piece on the stand that no one was bidding on. There had been several people just walkng thorugh the room and not stopping so he said "Since no one wants to bid on this peice, lets have some fun;) ." He told us that he would not accept any bids as being real and we could just start bidding like we had unlimited amounts of money. The first bid was for $500,000 :eek: and it went up from there. You should have seen the people that were walking through the room and listening to the bidding. When it finally stopped at 3 million there were around 40 or 50 more people in the room that had stopped as they were passing through. The low mummer from them about the cost of this simple little piece of art was so funny to hear. They didn't hang around much after that, but it was fun while it lasted. :D

I recently returned from the Pride. Not only were there Kinkades, but one of the auctions was devoted to his work. My daughter and I had a blast at the auctions, We found ourselves bidding on every "mystery" piece! Everything I bought and won I had framed by Park West. Please check out their prices - they are MUCH better than Michael's even with the Michael's discount coupons. Most of my pieces were about $165, frame, multiple mats, and shipping. I have paid way more than that at Michael's, for much smaller pieces.

Judy

[quote name='hockeymom'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkorchid]I recently returned from the Pride. Not only were there Kinkades, but one of the auctions was devoted to his work. My daughter and I had a blast at the auctions, We found ourselves bidding on every "mystery" piece! Everything I bought and won I had framed by Park West. Please check out their prices - they are MUCH better than Michael's even with the Michael's discount coupons. Most of my pieces were about $165, frame, multiple mats, and shipping. I have paid way more than that at Michael's, for much smaller pieces.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#9932cc][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#9932cc]Judy[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Judy, were you at the auction with the toddler dancing up at the front? If you saw her, she's mine! ;)

[color=purple][/color][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Triplelutz! Yes, we were there and we saw her! So cute! By the way - both of my kids were ice hockey players, thus the name. Why are you Triplelutz?[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Judy[/size][/font]

I used to be a figure skater back in the days when I was young and skinny! My oldest daughter skated from age 3 - 7.

My little one is quite the ham - she was like that at dinner every night too!

So what art pieces did you get? We bought 3 Alex Perez for the house and one Woody Woodpecker for my husbands office. Oh, I also got a Kincade for my parents for Christmas.

I love the art auctions onboard the ships. I found the Carnival art auctions to be better run and less expensive than the Park West auctions.

I sailed on the Elation 5/23/2004 departure from Galveston. This ship has converted to the Carnival art auction. I was amazed at the number of Disney animation cells and the low price. For instance, I purchased "Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip" unframed from Park West auction for the opening bid of $190. Then you added the seller's premium (15%), insurance (1% or 1.5%) and shipping with 5 pieces per tube ($35). I think I paid $90 for framing at JoAnn ETC during a framing sale. The same piece opened at $180 FRAMED AND MATTED on the Elation plus a seller's premium (10%) and shipping ($35). The total came to $223 and it was framed and matted. I found pieces that I haven't seen for a long time at the Disney Stores, ie. Cinderlla, Snow White, Lady and the Tramp. Needless to say, I bought everything I liked ... that totaled 10 pieces. With each piece purchased you received an additional raffle ticket along with the door prize ticket. At the 4 auctions I attended, I ended up winning 8 pieces (shipping was $10 unframed on the "free" pieces). I had 3 of the larger pieces framed for $120 plus $65 shipping. Not a bad price considering the size. Now you know why I love art auctions.

[font=Arial Black][color=red]Where have you been???...when I first joined CC in the middle of May you were posting quite a bit...then after your cruise...nothing, zilch, nada...what happened???...share if you will...okay?:) [/color][/font]

Archived