Paradise Eastern Sailing

Devoli

Has anyone just returned from the Eastern sailing on the Paradise? We sail on the 4th of July and were wondering how thee floods and earthquake are affectng the port in the Dominican Republic.

We sailed on the Paradise for the May 9 cruise just before the storms but I doubt you will have any problems since the damaged areas were on the Haiti border. That is a considerable distance away.

We did not go to the city of La Romana but instead went to Altos De Chavon about 20 minues away. You can did this without a tour by just walking to the taxi station and taking a taxi on your own. It is very organized, clean and easy to use. If I remember right, it costs $20 to get there and that was a total for all in the taxi (usually 4). The taxi waits for you and it is $10 for each additional hour. Amber is the main product sold there.

The complex is made up of expensive homes but the workers live together in another part of the complex that resembles a Mediterranean Village. That is where you visit and I would recommend it. If you want to see pictures, go to "Webshots Communty" using your SEARCH box. My member name is "richfret". Just type it in and another screen will appear with "richfret" underlined. Click on that and you will get two albums to view. I had heard bad things about the port but actually after going to Altos De Chavon, I found it to be one of the better ports.

Enjoy the cruise.

Cruiser Rich

Archived