e-Bike - Recommended Itinerary

Deep68

We are renting eBikes from Beach Bum and wondering if anyone could recommend an itinerary with somewhere to stop for a light lunch along the way.

We have eBikes at home and are used to cycling 30+ miles.

4 hours ago, Deep68 said:

We are renting eBikes from Beach Bum and wondering if anyone could recommend an itinerary with somewhere to stop for a light lunch along the way.

how long did you rent them?  We did beach bum in October I believe.  We attempted to go to Buccanos then turned around and went down to Playa Corona and then the Money Bar where we snorkeled at both.  We have also taken e bikes on another trip to Sky Reef and Money Bar.  Was about 13-14 miles for the October trip.  One time when we stayed on island, we did the loop but it took a while.  

If you are up for it and aren't snorkeling, try going down towards Punta Sur.  There is a pretty good restaurant near there.  Its 20 miles one way and I think it's about 1.5 hrs.  Once you get out of town, it's a nice ride.  

The bikes were in decent condition.  I'm spoiled by my e bike at home so I always nit pick but Beach bum did the job.  Just make sure your bike matches what you ordered.

6 hours ago, Deep68 said:

Ironman does 3 laps of the island for 112 miles to give you an idea of distance. This does not include the road to the north.

If I was renting a bike I would probably do their east coast tour on the old highway because of the views, providing  it wasn’t sargassum season. However,  I assume you are renting and touring independently so from their location, which is just north of International, I would probably head south on the old highway (bike route) to avoid town.There are several bars along the way where you can stop off (Money Bar, Corona, Sky Reef - all have snorkeling) as far as  Dona Chely (authentic lunch - check hours), beyond there I think the highway is away from the coast but you could go down to Palancar. Unless you commit to going round the island you will have to turn round at some point and come back the same way. 

Keep in mind the heat and how strenuous a ride you want. I suggest you look at Google maps for a virtual ride and distance to see how far you want to go.

Going north there is a bike lane until town and the another bike lane beyond town. I would think Beach Bums would have maps and suggestions. 

• 1 year later...

We are planning on doing the same thing (renting e-bikes from Beach Bum) during our next cruise. Is it necessary to turn around or would it be possible to loop back through the middle of the island on Carretera Transversal within a 6 hour rental window?