Fly cruise final day

jules57

Although I have been on quite a few cruises from the UK, this is my first fly cruise. Our cruise starts and ends in Valetta and our flight home is at 7pm. What happens the final day? I can see we have to leave our cabin early morning but understand we are able to use some facilities onboard for a while. We were hoping to be able to go into Valetta ourselves for a few hours. Would we be allowed to go back on board if we did that? Any guidance would be appreciated 

The night before leave luggage outside the cabin till 12AM you will not see the luggage till you get back to the UK if you are flying Jet2 or TUI. On a scheduled flight like British Airways or Air Malta you collect just outside where the marquee is and can leave hand luggage inside the Playhouse Theatre. You can wonder off the ship and explore just make sure you are back in time for the transfer to the airport. 

Hi Jules57. We came off our first P&O cruise for a long time a few weeks ago, and one of the absolutely stand out parts for us was the embarkation and disembarkation. In Southamptom P&O seem to make a bit of a song and dance of things (or at least they used to) but Valetta was a dream. Airport to onboard ship in less than 30 minutes but the real treat was disembarkation. We too had a late flight and though you have to be out of your room by 8, you are free to use the ship up until your transfer out to the airport.(4.30pm in our case). It meant practically another full day aboard.

Tip if you do stay aboard, you can use the spa changing rooms to shower and freshen just before you leave.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Boycey said:

...but the real treat was disembarkation. We too had a late flight and though you have to be out of your room by 8, you are free to use the ship up until your transfer out to the airport.(4.30pm in our case). It meant practically another full day aboard.

Tip if you do stay aboard, you can use the spa changing rooms to shower and freshen just before you leave.

We had a similar treat on Britannia in the Caribbean last year, after a 6-year break from P&O. Our flight was the last to leave Barbados so we had time to take a brilliant excursion in the morning, get showered and changed by the gym (great tip!) and enjoy the ship for most of the day. We also had bought the drinks package and this was valid right upto disembarkation.

Btw while I was getting changed by the gym, someone who had just embarked came into the changing rooms and helped himself to deoderant and shampoo left behind by others 🙂 not that I'd endorse that, but if you do forget some toiletries it's definitely worth checking to see if anything has been left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainPedantic said:

We had a similar treat on Britannia in the Caribbean last year, after a 6-year break from P&O. Our flight was the last to leave Barbados so we had time to take a brilliant excursion in the morning, get showered and changed by the gym (great tip!) and enjoy the ship for most of the day. We also had bought the drinks package and this was valid right upto disembarkation.

Btw while I was getting changed by the gym, someone who had just embarked came into the changing rooms and helped himself to deoderant and shampoo left behind by others 🙂 not that I'd endorse that, but if you do forget some toiletries it's definitely worth checking to see if anything has been left.

Thanks CP, particularly the bit about drinks package. We too had the package but just assumed it was invalid as your cruise card would be on the final morning. Good to know otherwise!

• Like 1

you can still use cruise card on final day of fly cruise. I have done on a Caribbean cruise, they just add it to final bill

1 hour ago, Boycey said:

Thanks CP, particularly the bit about drinks package. We too had the package but just assumed it was invalid as your cruise card would be on the final morning. Good to know otherwise!

• Like 1

At one time pre pandemic you could hire a day cabin for your day of disembarkation, available on a first come first served basis. Price depended on which grade of cabin you chose, from memory typically about £50(?). Cabin was available mid morning to late afternoon, if you were very lucky (I once was) you might even be able to book your own cabin and just stay in it. Don't know whether they still do this though, do not recall it being advertised on my one post pandemic cruise.

Flew to Valetta for a two week cruise in April.

I got out of bed at home at 3.15am and was lying on my cabin bed exactly 7 hours later. This inspite of the flight being delayed.

Home to Birmingham airport being 35 miles.

Well happy with that, less so that our bags didn't turn up for another 6 hours.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 5:30 PM, Denarius said:

At one time pre pandemic you could hire a day cabin for your day of disembarkation, available on a first come first served basis. Price depended on which grade of cabin you chose, from memory typically about £50(?). Cabin was available mid morning to late afternoon, if you were very lucky (I once was) you might even be able to book your own cabin and just stay in it. Don't know whether they still do this though, do not recall it being advertised on my one post pandemic cruise.

Day cabins were available on Britannia back in Nov 2022 in the Caribbean