Questions about Princess Ruby 10 Day Alaska Cruise August 15-25th 2023 (Price, Princess Plus all inclusive, other questions)

aaronzuern

We're looking at booking this, probably our 4th or 5th cruise to date - Departs/Returns from San Francisco. Here are some questions about our next planned cruise that I would like to get some feedback on.

Price

Current price for 10 days in obstructed view room $850+300 Taxes and Fees per person. Two questions:

1. Is this the best price available? I'm looking everywhere online and it's all +- $50

2. We might be taking people 4 total including us, not just us 2. I thought 2 small rooms would be more expensive but it looks like larger rooms for 4 people are more than twice as much. I think I'd prefer 2 separate rooms (there's no kids, all adults) but I'd like to hear other's experience.

Princess Plus

I can't decide if this will be worth it or not. Here's my breakdown of what I think it will be, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will need the following regardless:

Internet access $15 per day

gratuities - I believe it's about  $15 per day that  I will have to pay

If I understand correctly, I would need to pay $30 for the above if I didn't do the Plus Package. It appears the package covers both of these so about $30 per day additional. I don't drink alcohol anymore and my wife will have one or two a day so the best value of the package is wasted on us but we would probably like specialty coffees and Juice Bar smoothies (3-4 per day, probably less). It seems like it might not matter and will work out about the same either way.

Other questions

I've been reviewing this forum and making notes of recommended bars, restaurants, viewing spots, shows, etc. and have a pretty good list. Is there one thing you would recommend to someone (on the ship or excursions)

Thanks in advance for your feedback

2 hours ago, aaronzuern said:

We're looking at booking this, probably our 4th or 5th cruise to date - Departs/Returns from San Francisco. Here are some questions about our next planned cruise that I would like to get some feedback on.

Price

Current price for 10 days in obstructed view room $850+300 Taxes and Fees per person. Two questions:

1. Is this the best price available? I'm looking everywhere online and it's all +- $50

2. We might be taking people 4 total including us, not just us 2. I thought 2 small rooms would be more expensive but it looks like larger rooms for 4 people are more than twice as much. I think I'd prefer 2 separate rooms (there's no kids, all adults) but I'd like to hear other's experience.

Princess Plus

I can't decide if this will be worth it or not. Here's my breakdown of what I think it will be, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will need the following regardless:

Internet access $15 per day

gratuities - I believe it's about  $15 per day that  I will have to pay

If I understand correctly, I would need to pay $30 for the above if I didn't do the Plus Package. It appears the package covers both of these so about $30 per day additional. I don't drink alcohol anymore and my wife will have one or two a day so the best value of the package is wasted on us but we would probably like specialty coffees and Juice Bar smoothies (3-4 per day, probably less). It seems like it might not matter and will work out about the same either way.

Other questions

I've been reviewing this forum and making notes of recommended bars, restaurants, viewing spots, shows, etc. and have a pretty good list. Is there one thing you would recommend to someone (on the ship or excursions)

Thanks in advance for your feedback

If it is not necesssary to be on the internet on sea days, you will have access to make use of  your internet once you are off the ship at a port. The gratuities are usually just added to your bill each day and is paid at the end of the cruise with any other charges in shops, restaurants, etc. You are allowed to bring a bottle of wine each on board. You can bring your wine opener in your luggage if you are flying in to SF. Your cabin steward can supply you with wine glasses. If you bring your bottle to the restaurant for them to open it there will be a charge. I don't remember what that was.

You are probably better off taking 2 rooms. It is usually cheaper and more comfortable. The prices were cheaper 2 weeks ago when they had an increase in the inside cabins only. Otherwise, the prices have been the same for about 3 months.

In the past, the shows have been very good. I don't know what has happened in the past year because I have been on cruise in that time. There are usually good singers or bands in the bar areas as well. As far as the excursions, I usually go with Viator or Trip Advisor as they usually charge a lower price for the same tour. However, I always check the Princess tours to see if there is something exceptional that I might want and then I would go with Princess. Also, sometimes there are people on the thread who know a private tour company that does a really nice tour for a lot less money. If you do one of those, there is ually a minimum amount of people that is required to go and so that all has to be arranged by the person organizing the tour with the outside company. I have been to Alaska before, but many years ago. At that time, we didn't have any tours planned and if I remember correctly there were Kiosks on the sidewalk in town offering small tours and I know that we did do one of those and it was very good.

As far as the specialty restaurants, I find that the regular restaurants do a really good job. I guess if you want to celebrate a special occasion, you might want to try it, but I don't think it is worth the extra money you would have to spend.

Hope that helps you make some decisions.

3 hours ago, aaronzuern said:

There are a ton of Princess Plus discussions on this forum. If you have the time, I'd look through all of the back-and-forth in the various threads here so that you can best make your decision: Showing results for '"Princess Plus"' in content posted in Princess Cruises. - Cruise Critic Community

I think I'd consider that non-alcohol package as well and see if it suits your needs better.

3 hours ago, aaronzuern said:

Is there one thing you would recommend to someone (on the ship or excursions)

Visit your cruise's roll call on Cruise Critic. Find your cruise's Facebook group as well. You might be able to snag a spot on someone's private tour if they still have seats available. 

Adagio Bar is a must if you're in dire need of quiet time but don't want to be in your room. In general, I love the aft of the Ruby Princess a ton. Even just sitting in the aft, right outside of Adagio, it's extremely peaceful. The bleachers just adjacent to the pool, the bar stools, etc -- they all face the wake and it's blissful. Of course, your weather might not be as good at times, but YMMV.

You will be much more comfortable in two staterooms for four adults.  I agree with the others in regards to the Princess Plus.  If you are only looking for pre-paid tips and WiFi and won't spend $30 (per person) on drinks, it's probably not worth it, unless you're just looking for cost certainty.  We'll be on the sailing two before you.  We're keeping our fingers crossed for good weather but it should be a great trip in any case.

Frederick

• Like 1