Cabin on Deck 7 - MS Fridtjof Nansen

Wildcat85

9 minutes ago, mrmoviezombie said:

We spent way too much time looking at pictures/videos and counting decks/windows to make sure we had the glass on the balcony.

LOL.  Me too!  It was a trade off between the glass and location on the deck. I wanted to be in the middle for more stability because of the likely rough Drake Passage. I hope they don't change my room!

1 minute ago, Wildcat85 said:

LOL.  Me too!  It was a trade off between the glass and location on the deck. I wanted to be in the middle for more stability because of the likely rough Drake Passage. I hope they don't change my room!

It will be sad if they do, especially if you spend so much time getting the right cabin. But why do they change the cabins?

Cruise lines reserve the right to make changes. It could be due to a maintenance issue if something is broken, for example.  But you usually aren’t told why based on what I’ve read from people’s stories. Usually the “bumped” people aren’t happy about it— unless they get a good upgrade that does not have any of the issues they were seeking to avoid, such as obscured views or an unfavorable deck location. Sometimes, when the cruise line gives you a supposedly upgraded cabin as a substitute, the room is noisy or has something the ousted passengers wanted to avoid. Of course these people worry that the ship just gave their room to someone else that is a loyalty member or would pay more. I am not referring to Hurtigruten or any particular cruise line but from what I’ve read on blogs and forums generally. I personally have not been bumped but it is something I worry about because I am picky about my cabin and go to great research to pick one I’d like.

Our cabin had the red stripe and we were none the wiser.  We just accepted it as it was and it was fine.  We were however in Antarctica and we were not sitting in the cabin or on the balcony anyway.  If there was something to see we wanted the full 360 view so we were on an open deck.

We rarely spend time in our cabin other than sleeping.

We would book the same cabin again as we did pick it for location and layout.

Edited by CDNPolar

• 7 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 11:35 AM, CDNPolar said:

Are you on the Fridtjof Nansen?

Are the cabins smaller on 7 than 8?  No, not really, you are in an XT cabin and the same cabin category on deck 8 is the same size.  Deck 8 also has ME category that is bigger.

We were in 829 which is an XTD category.  We chose this cabin because first it is as close to mid ship for the Drake Passage as you can get, and if you look at the configuration of the cabin it is wide rather than deep.  The balcony is 15 feet (or more) wide and you have the equivalent of 3+ sets of windows that the deep cabins only have one or two...  This balcony and window set was perfect for viewing as we just had more space.

If available to change, I would personally from our experience go with the XTD 721, 721, 728, or 730 - these are well back from the elevator lobby and we heard no noise from anything.  Also the wide nature of the cabin was in our opinion far superior to the deep cabin.

We’re in 728 next April thank you

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mickey111 said:

We’re in 728 next April thank you

Enjoy!  You will love it.    Here is our personal video from our Cruise.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Enjoy!  You will love it.    Here is our personal video from our Cruise.

Thank you so much looks fabulous. We’re just coast hopping from Lisbon to Hamburg 

44 minutes ago, Mickey111 said:

Thank you so much looks fabulous. We’re just coast hopping from Lisbon to Hamburg 

Sorry - thought you were doing Antarctica~