Myanmar/Burma 2024 Cruises Scrubbed??

TLCOhio

For our February 2024 Mumbai to Singapore cruise, just got the notice from the Silversea CEO that the three days for Myanmar/Burma has been scrubbed due to what is called "significant geopolitical unrest".  Not totally surprised.  In my view, it is better to know sooner rather than later to make any needed adjustments.  Other Silversea stops for this challenged country are being skipped in 2024.  What about for other cruise lines?  When were the last cruise stops there?  Before Covid?

From the French AFP newswire today, they had this headline: Myanmar junta-backed media slams 'rotten' United Nations with these highlights: Myanmar state media condemned the United Nations as 'rotten' on Friday, days after the UN special envoy for the country stepped down and the world body slammed curbs on aid for cyclone survivors.   Myanmar has been in turmoil since the military seized power in February 2021, ending a brief democratic experiment and sparking clashes across the country with ethnic rebel groups and anti-coup fighters.   The military has criticised attempts by the UN and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations bloc to establish dialogue between the junta and its opponents, whom it has vowed to 'annihilate'. 

WOW!!  Does not sound calm and orderly there in that challenged country with so much history, culture and architecture.  

On our cruise, they are shifting to maximizing on the expanded opportunities for Sri Lanka (two added stops there) and in Phuket.  We welcome any special tips, ideas and suggestions for any and all of these areas. 

Full story at:

https://www.daily-sun.com/post/695507/Myanmar-juntabacked-media-slams-rotten-United-Nations

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 71,779 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

Went to Myanmar about 5 yrs. ago during a land tour in Thailand. Our guide made it possible but we had to pay $45 " entrance fee"' Can't remember what city but was not impressed with the conditions . Garbage strewn everywhere, unsanitary conditions at the local market, etc. Did not feel comfortable there but found it  very interesting !

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

Went to Myanmar about 5 yrs. ago during a land tour in Thailand. Our guide made it possible but we had to pay $45 " entrance fee"' Can't remember what city but was not impressed with the conditions . Garbage strewn everywhere, unsanitary conditions at the local market, etc. Did not feel comfortable there but found it  very interesting !

Appreciate the great follow-up from diesel1973.  Yes, Myanmar/Burma would be "interesting", but I am sure the challenging economic and safety conditions are still there.  Or, maybe worse?  

Given the continued "governmental/military" pressures and maybe "battles", there would have serious concerns as to how our three days of stops there would have worked.  Or, not?  We will watch with interest how things work out there in 2024 and for the future.  Another issue was that our cruise ship docking location was about an hour's drive away via marginal roads from the heart of the main city.  Lots of questions and issues for cruise ship travelers. 

Keep us posted as to any previous impressions from visiting that country.  Or, your insights and predictions as to how this situation evolves.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 243,992 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Terry, as I may have previously mentioned, we are booked on the Oceania Riviera and we are supposed to stop in Myanmar in January 2024.  Nothing has changed with Oceania yet.  However, we did plan to go to Yangon overnight to avoid the bad roads, etc.  But I do believe that it will eventually be cancelled.  

Bill

11 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Terry, as I may have previously mentioned, we are booked on the Oceania Riviera and we are supposed to stop in Myanmar in January 2024.  Nothing has changed with Oceania yet.  However, we did plan to go to Yangon overnight to avoid the bad roads, etc.  But I do believe that it will eventually be cancelled.  Bill

Appreciate, Bill, your comments and follow-up.  Keep us posted as to when and what Oceania does.  We have done long cruises with Oceania (Middle East and South Pacific), enjoying them very much.  

The "New" Crystal still has November 2023 and March 2024 cruises scheduled to stop in Yangon.  Maybe others?   Always an interesting question as whether it is best to scrub early or later?  Or, to do "it" and hope for the best? 

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Terry, IMO, best to scrub the visit early so that you can make alternate plans.  Hard to do in the middle of the ocean.  

BTW, I found our itinerary for our India trip.  

India HK Cairo Tour.pdf

Fabulous time.  This was our whole trip that year.  Technically we went around the world.

Any questions, my email is ssawjo at cox dot net.

3 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Terry, IMO, best to scrub the visit early so that you can make alternate plans.  Hard to do in the middle of the ocean.  BTW, I found our itinerary for our India trip.  

India HK Cairo Tour.pdf 8.41 MB · 1 download

Fabulous time.  This was our whole trip that year.  Technically we went around the world.

Any questions, my email is ssawjo at cox dot net.

WOW!!  That, Bill, was an amazing "Around the World" adventure, including Hong Kong, Hanoi, India, Egypt, etc.  

You were fortunate to accomplish all of that travel in 2018 before Covid came along in early 2020.  Plus, the fact that certain of these locations become more "challenged", on and off, off and on, as local conditions and safety changes, etc.  

Will send an email as it would be helpful to connect and pick your smart brain for added details about India, etc.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,885 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/