NCL Air Transportation question

acct1975

Cruising out of NY in July but flying in the day before embarkation. I ended up booking a hotel in Manhattan but just found out that NCL Air is flying us in to Newark. Not a big deal but I need to figure out transportation from Newark to the hotel.

My question is if anyone knows which is the more economical choice- Taxi or car service. There will be 5 of us (4 adults and 1 kid).

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, acct1975 said:

Cruising out of NY in July but flying in the day before embarkation. I ended up booking a hotel in Manhattan but just found out that NCL Air is flying us in to Newark. Not a big deal but I need to figure out transportation from Newark to the hotel.

My question is if anyone knows which is the more economical choice- Taxi or car service. There will be 5 of us (4 adults and 1 kid).

Thanks all!

I'd suggest NJ Transit. Just don't get confused by Newark Penn Station and THE Penn Station. It's less than an hour. Then you can grab a cab, subway, Uber to your hotel. Where in Manhattan is the hotel? 

But, alas, most people don't seem to enjoy public transit like I do...I'll leave it to others to discuss car service/taxi which will likely take far more than an hour to get to Midtown, but you might get lucky.

Ahh, I miss my business trips to the city. 

NJ transit train is great, however, some trains do not have a lot of room for luggage and your fellow passengers can get rather testy if you're lugging a bunch of bags. it's about $13.50 one-way per person and the train lets you off at penn station in manhattan at 33rd and seventh avenue.

an alternative is the newark airport express bus, run by coach USA. lots of room for luggage and the bus lets you off in the vicinity of the port authority bus terminal in manhattan. assuming you have a hotel in midtown - somewhere close to the cruise terminal - that might be more convenient for you. one way is about $19 per person.

The Uber estimator is coming in at slightly less than either the car service or the taxi. Right now Uber estimated the ride in an XL at about $70, but I don't know if you'd be landing at time that would cause that price to go up.  Uber is, of course, much more variable in price than either the taxi or the car service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deelightfull said:

The Uber estimator is coming in at slightly less than either the car service or the taxi. Right now Uber estimated the ride in an XL at about $70, but I don't know if you'd be landing at time that would cause that price to go up.  Uber is, of course, much more variable in price than either the taxi or the car service.

We have a VERY early flight and get in a little after 9am on a Sat so little sleep and a longish plane ride, thinking that in the end we'd need the easiest choice. Public transport might be more hassle than we want. Uber is a possibility...

I know all about those red eyes!  They're no fun, but necessary sometimes.  I'm West coast traveler, so I don't know much about Newark specifically.  I've only flown into Newark once. 🤷

It depends on how much your crew packs, but with five people and luggage, I personally would be voting for a car service, so you can insure the size of the car that's coming and it looks like it's going to cost about a $100.  (And honestly, that works out to about $20 which is not that much more than five train tickets!)

I believe there's a board specifically for New York.  You may be able to get a better recommendation from  natives. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d do car service, Uber xl’s can be dicey with 5 and luggage. Does your hotel room sleep 5?

Getting 2 rooms. Have been saving alot of points to cover the hotel LOL

• Like 1